User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Just how bigger difference do epic tyres make on the street?

Motorbike
    Liked
    5260 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrop.senator View Post
    I planned on going 190 50 as standard. Was thinking wider looks cool but i don't think will be much use due to the skinny rim might egg the shape a bit? Due to the fact im reasonably short and the rear already feels a little high I dont think the 55s will be a good upgrade for me. Will get marty to look at that though. I had heard the 55s were cool upgrade as it makes able to lean lower as creates a larger contact patch at angle but i wasn't going to bother playing with the tyre heights I dont think.
    What pressures do you normally run?

What pressure is in them now?

When did you last check the pressures?
    Likes thro liked this post

Motorbike
    VJ22 RGV250, MC22 CBR250RR(R), CBR600RR, CBR1000RR Repsol
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I planned on going 190 50 as standard. Was thinking wider looks cool but i don't think will be much use due to the skinny rim might egg the shape a bit? Due to the fact im reasonably short and the rear already feels a little high I dont think the 55s will be a good upgrade for me. Will get marty to look at that though. I had heard the 55s were cool upgrade as it makes able to lean lower as creates a larger contact patch at angle but i wasn't going to bother playing with the tyre heights I dont think.
    The 190/55 will put more weight on the front, all things being equal, as vs. a 190/50 it's taller, not wider.

Whether or not this is a good thing depends on how the bike's weight currently sits, and again, different brand, the measurements are different...

If you're changing brand, i'd go stock/same sizes (at least, as per what is written on the tyres) this time, then experiment with the 190/55 if you want the bike to tip over quicker.

Again, check what people have done with your specific bike if you can, and ideally with that brand of tyre. Too much weight on the front and the bike will be less stable/more prone to tank slap and that isn't fun at all.

edit:
    is the stock rear on that a 190 or a 180? if it's a 180, go 180 until you figure out whether or not you want to modify the bike's handling vs. stock sizes. with no steering damper i'd tread carefully.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Motorbike
    Sadly only 1 Gixxer now :(
    Liked
    1579 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Where do you get the ceramic beads from man? They used similar sort of thing im assuming in my truck when did an emergency blow out roadiside fit. Just a big bag that bounces round to counteract aye?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wheel-Tyr...3D161356720362

1oz in the front 2oz in the rear

Reuse them over and over again, though after a couple of tyre changes they will need cleaning and maybe a top up

Motorbike
    Sc28 cbr900rr
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich... View Post
    What pressures do you normally run?

What pressure is in them now?

When did you last check the pressures?

30 front 32 rear cold checked yesterday. Usually check with every fresh tank.

Also thro I know how aspect ratios work have a lot of experience with car tyres just not bike tyres. I was looking at 200/50s for the fat tyre look but think bulging them onto the skinny rim will ride like crap.

Motorbike
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also thro I know how aspect ratios work have a lot of experience with car tyres just not bike tyres. I was looking at 200/50s for the fat tyre look but think bulging them onto the skinny rim will ride like crap.

Ahh, i personally wouldn't go 200/50. Not only will it probably be too big for the rim, the height will likely be as tall as a 190/55 anyway. I'd definitely check out how things work with stock sizes first. As TurboR1 said you can go tying yourself up in knots and you haven't ridden the bike with a good set of stock sized tyres yet

And yeah if its bulged out you'll alter the profile of it further. Maybe good maybe bad, but definitely different

also vs. cars, the ratio (50, 55, 60) on bike tyres makes the crown steeper, not just a taller tyre in general.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Motorbike
    Sc28 cbr900rr
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah thats what I was thinking. I dont know enough about myself to change my bikes to my liking yet. I just ride to the bikes ability with me on the bars. Both very compitent bikes and honestly I think it'll take a long time til I know it well enough to start making preference changes.

At the end of the day its a gixxer thou its capable of a lot of things in stock form that I'm definitely not. Apart from cool looking mods or cool sounding mods I dont think I'm in the position to make informed decisions on performance adjustments .

After talking to Marty he said for street riding setting the bike up for me is still highly recommended.I just plan to have him do that install the new tyres and brakes and learn to ride the thing before fiddling with stuff. I think altering blindly when i dont have solid comparisons and areas of complaint is a waste of time and money.

Liked
    379 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What track are you going to be racing on?

Motorbike
    a couple...
    Liked
    585 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jeez reading this thread is tiring
    Likes marras, BikeONE liked this post

Liked
    379 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shabadoo View Post
    jeez reading this thread is tiring
    Clear your inbox
    Likes Joe Shabadoo liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After talking to Marty he said for street riding setting the bike up for me is still highly recommended.I just plan to have him do that install the new tyres and brakes and learn to ride the thing before fiddling with stuff. I think altering blindly when i dont have solid comparisons and areas of complaint is a waste of time and money.
    If you're considering it, get the tyres first (or if he does it, all good), then go see Marty and he can dial the sag in for you so the bike is balanced front to rear with the actual tyres you're running (because as per above, different tyres will change the front/rear weight. getting it set up first may change things vs. what marty sets up).

You can definitely ride the bike (or even track it) without doing that, but it will feel better when set up so that with your weight on it, it is balanced properly. Especially if you're outside of the typical 60-70kg Japanese factory rider weight range.

Motorbike
    Sc28 cbr900rr
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marras View Post
    What track are you going to be racing on?
    Was going to see if their were any advanced riding courses offered at collie. Apart from that I'm not really sure whats available to get into it in a social way anymore?

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell, it's not even my bike/tyres and i'm feeling anxious about the OP's impending decision.

From the sounds of it, any decent, modern street tyre will suit your purposes. Some street tyres suitable for the road and occasional track day punter will be softer/stickier with the trade off that lifespan will be shortened. It's a balancing act between grip/longevity.

Liked
    379 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was going to see if their were any advanced riding courses offered at collie. Apart from that I'm not really sure whats available to get into it in a social way anymore?
    My point being.

How much R&D does Suzuki do?

Do you really think they are going to put the wrong sized tyres on their motorcycles?
    You will never out ride the bike in a pink fit. There is probably a handful of guys in this country that can.
    Are you getting the idea?

Motorbike
    Sc28 cbr900rr
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am i getting the idea that i admitted that i couldnt out ride the capabilities of the bike and was going with the standard sized tyres? Yes yes I am getting the idea.

Motorbike
    a couple...
    Liked
    585 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fuckin a undersized shinko from an oem hyo 250 will be better than what's on there.. who gives a fuck, just ride the thing.
    best bet is to go 'mediocre' class
    if it goes around corners good, then you can tell cunts you have the best tyre, but spent way less than the fuckin idiots who roll supercorsas
    if it crashes into a tree, you can tell cunts how xxxx tyre is to blame
    Likes Ryanoceros, marras liked this post

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Am i getting the idea that i admitted that i couldnt out ride the capabilities of the bike and was going with the standard sized tyres? Yes yes I am getting the idea.
    So what tyre are you gonna buy ?
    Rest in Peace

Motorbike
    Sc28 cbr900rr
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to find out how much local fitting and balancing is and decide whether I buy the diablos and have them fitted or if i can get a cheap supply and fit price locally.

Mates pretty sure he'll be able to strip and replace the tyres for me on his machine at work. Im a bit dubious doing it myself as Im not great at doing tyres on the floor and dont want to wreck the fuck out of the powdercoating with the levers.

Motorbike
    Sadly only 1 Gixxer now :(
    Liked
    1579 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

OMG now I'm like WFT????

Sorry, but um why not do as the manufacturer recommends and stop pissing around.
    Likes marras liked this post

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Going to find out how much local fitting and balancing is and decide whether I buy the diablos and have them fitted or if i can get a cheap supply and fit price locally.

Mates pretty sure he'll be able to strip and replace the tyres for me on his machine at work. Im a bit dubious doing it myself as Im not great at doing tyres on the floor and dont want to wreck the fuck out of the powdercoating with the levers.
    One of the tyre shops (motorcycle masters ?) is having a Bridgestone sale at the moment. You could probably snag a set of S21s or S20s cheaply (like around $500). Ring around and see what your options are bud
    Rest in Peace

Motorbike
    Sc28 cbr900rr
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneville View Post
    OMG now I'm like WFT????

Sorry, but um why not do as the manufacturer recommends and stop pissing around.
    I am getting the size tyre the manafacturer recommends and thats the pressure I was told to run when I had tyres fitted on my hyosung.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    One of the tyre shops (motorcycle masters ?) is having a Bridgestone sale at the moment. You could probably snag a set of S21s or S20s cheaply (like around $500). Ring around and see what your options are bud
    500s what I paid for the s21s on my blade honestly I just dont have it. I wasnt ready to buy a daily bike but this one came up at the right price I had the valves adjusted rocker cover leak fixed serviced it and ordered new brakes and its just cleaned me out. The s21s are anazing and will be the next set but just not this set.