User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a few acres, living in a shed and having a few mates over... Wise heads needed

Motorbike
    CBR 125 Fully Sick Edition, Z1000, XJR13 hunjy. The wife
    Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^
    Transferring to a new area means that I will be unemployed by proxy, so am shocked at bit of info!

Was hoping to borrow approx 20%max, if needed , so may need to any sort of finance options long before we look at more property...

Cheers. 👍
    Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.
    Likes Wahoo liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    I would look for a existing house in any condition you may save a fortune in running services,power water septic phone driveways fences......

TUCKED AWAY ALONG SIDE BUSH RESERVE!!!
    28 McLarty Street, Bridgetown

http://www.domain.com.au/2013311891
    Property has been up for a while and is not on all of the for sale sites either.

Might wander on down next week and have a poke around...👍

Quote Originally Posted by Graelin View Post
    Keep an eye on trees near powerlines on the boundary of any property you are looking at. Each year we got a bill from the electricity supplier contractor to remove any branches that came less than 3 meters from the lines.

Sold our Toodyay place last year prices are down so can get a nice house with all sight works done. We had a small motocross track as a firebreak. Next door had a full blown motocross track that appealed to me as a plus when buying the property. They built me my small one.

We will also be looking South for retirement as finding the heat at Toodyay area in summer is not my liking.
    Acreage side by side Graeme?

Can use the boundary as a firebreak and moto track... 😉
    Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

PSB Corporate Sponsor
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acreage side by side Graeme?

We had five acre blocks, our bikes were just for kids use so did not cause issues to other neighbours noise wise. The other bikes were mainly used for high ramp jumps. The use was infrequent so again did not push the boundaries with neighbours. We enjoyed watching.

I guess a lot depends on noise and whether neighbours get pissed off and complain.

Motorbike
    ZRX1200R, X1 White Lightning, 06 FJR 1300, Norton Commando
    Liked
    148 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't read all the detail in the responses, but, on the subject of power, if it had cost $10K just to trench in for services, you are a third of the way to off-grid power anyway. A bloke up here has just paid $35K (!!!!!!!) to be connected to the mains. There was a 33kv line going past other side of the road, so he needed a SWER transformer mounted. For a tiny little house on a block near Wittecarra Creek. Be aware of this if you are looking at undeveloped blocks--if 415v overheads are going past, that will be your cheapest option.But still expensive. If there are none in sight, or if it is a HV only line nearby, the cost will skyrocket, AND you will be responsible for maintaining any poles on your block. This is when off-grid power really comes into it's own. if you are going south, and have a big catchment area roof, like a shed, surely you would go tank water?
    " Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill"
    Likes ReCon liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^

Yep, tank water is a given on just about anything we look at. Am not unhappy about that as hopefully roof area(s) will be sufficient enough to keep tanks operational, without needing refills.

So far , we have looked at blocks with the power box (?) at the front, but appreciate the heads up with HV poles,ect.
    Especially in fire prone areas...

Can't believe how much drama we would have overlooked prior to this thread, so appreciate all info and opinion.
    Promise not to cry with any constructive criticism either, if you have a better and cost effective way to build.

Am very open to any sort of advice...
    Likes Graelin liked this post

Motorbike
    Honda CBR 1000 RR. CBR 600 RR track
    Liked
    695 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing on insulation...see if there are any companies that do spray insulation. It's probably the best insulation I have come across. Widely used in Canada and Europe....
    SP RACINGis supported by:
    MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
    Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
    Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Motorbike
    Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ Gold! 👍

I've seen the thin, adhesive stuff fixed to the walls but was bemused to see the way it was applied. Looked like the batch that was placed would last about 6 months on the roof before it let go.

Will poke around and see who does it. Cheers.

Motorbike
    Harley Davidson FXSB, Ducati 916S, Piaggio MP3 250
    Liked
    5055 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReCon View Post
    Have already poked around Nannup, Bridgey, Margs and Busso , so warped minds do think alike! 😊

Strangely enough with our search, the larger acre blocks were cheaper, which carved our search towards this size.

We too would prefer the smaller block, so will continue the search. ATM , we are suffering the curse of 1000 barking dogs and noisy neighbours. If the 2 acres resulted in a return to this scenario, it would be a strong possibility that violence would be the end result.
    Hopefully a quiet , smallish ,rural block would be just heaven. 👍

Is an acre too small?

https://m.realestate.com.au/property...ands-201804850

About 10 minutes south of Donnybrook around 45 minutes from Bunbury and 40 minutes from Bridgetown, not a bad little spot that i drive past 3 times a day

A mate posted it on Facebook, the young fella selling it was the shark attack survivor at Esperance end of 2014, don't know if he's been living there or just using it as a weekender but there appears to be a "dwelling"
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.
    Likes ReCon, Graelin liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ Never say never filbert, especially with the prospect of seeing your pretty smile 3 times a day! 💖

Looks like a Tuesday run might be on the cards, especially with a head full of updated dwelling info...

PSB Corporate Sponsor
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exciting time for you Recon hope that you find somewhere. Love it down there. We are contemplating a caravan for next year. A friend in NZ has something called a house truck and mini house on the back looks great and they just travel.

Motorbike
    Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to hang out once we finally get a bit of dirt mate!

Motorbike
    KTM 390 Duke | KTM 250 EXC-F
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being Friday and all:

Motorbike
    Triumph Trident
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReCon View Post
    ^^^^
    Yep, tank water is a given on just about anything we look at.

Am very open to any sort of advice...
    1 square metre of roof and one millimetre of rain will produce one litre of tank fill, learn your local rainfall and crunch the numbers. This way an enlarged awning/verandah/roof area becomes more pragmatic...
    The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
    G T
    Likes ReCon, shan, waikiki liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ Yet more 24k Gold info! Cheers.

Motorbike
    Triumph Trident
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are your chainsaw skills?
    G T

Motorbike
    Triumph Trident
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Trident View Post
    1 square metre of roof and one millimetre of rain will produce one litre of tank fill, learn your local rainfall and crunch the numbers. This way an enlarged awning/verandah/roof area becomes more pragmatic...
    Actually I should note that this is hearsay, it did come from someone who I don't doubt but I haven't actually proved it.
    So if there's someone out there with a rain gauge and all the necessary, including the curiosity I would be interested to know if it's true.
    G T

Motorbike
    A Clockwork Orange
    Liked
    2173 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It holds up. 1mm rain on 1m2 roof = 1 litre catchment.
    BTW: concrete tank means you can bury or partially bury vs poly which will have to be above ground.
    Consider filtration, pumping and plumbing.
    Consider also that your local bylaws may require fire fighting threshold of your tanks (i.e. 15k litre reserve).

I bought a 'low density residential' block on the north west coast of Tasmania last year... doing all the required research now so i can get planning approvals in next year, building permits in 2019.
    End Game: I get a sea change, a tree change, a climate change (bye bye +40c summer peaks) and endless low traffic twisties.

S.
    Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.
    Likes Stephan, Graelin, ReCon liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Trident View Post
    How are your chainsaw skills?
    Have taken 13 trees from our block and cleared 2 other resi homesites for friends. Am 'sufficiently ' skilled as have needed to drop over fences and down fence lines. Used harness as well.

Wish I was born pretty instead though. Chainsaw skills are not something useful for my vintage in the big scheme of things... 🤔
    Likes Green Trident liked this post

Motorbike
    2014 Valkyrie
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few things:
    - Think solar passive design - lots of north facing windows to heat up your slab (don't put carpet over it!) with winter sun, no windows on the east or west, south windows with through breeze in summer to make up the required window area. The house should be approx a rectangle, with a much larger east-west dimension than north-south dimension. Once that slab is warmed up during a sunny day it will stay warm for days, yielding up a comfortable level of heat (ie not too much, which you get with a fire - either too much and then not enough... thermal mass is in the slab).
    - You don't really need much power. Just like everyone else all you need is to run some fridges, electronics and appliances. Hot water can come via gas or, if you want to get tricky, dump excess daytime solar power into a storage unit (I'm not a fan of heat pumps in cold locations). Solar panels keep the sun off your roof in summer.
    - If you want 3 phase power to run that welder / body shop then just buy a Honda generator for that - how often are you actually going to be welding etc after all? With the philosophy of keeping the high power short duration loads for the genny, you can get a decent off-grid system for the same cost as a cable run-in and the money you save on power bills from there will more than pay for a bit of generator servicing...
    - Good luck with it all. My wife won't let me...