PSB Events Tally

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying a few acres, living in a shed and having a few mates over... Wise heads needed

Motorbike
    VFR800+Tenere660+Postie Bike
    Liked
    72 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm more for buying an existing property with an established house [however humble] with power/water/phone etc, then build the shed.
    We built then lived in a largish shed while trying to establish the flower business, and built the house later. Looking back it wasn't fun. Seemed romantic but the reality was far different. Cold in winter, hot in summer, really crap for any socializing [ visitors and outside dunnys.... ] Getting power is EXPENSIVE to do, and living off-grid is do-able/admirable, until you try to sell it

It's far easier/cheaper to tidy up an older small home to make it comfortable/welcoming, than splurge on a shed only to repeat it again if/when you build the house.
    My view is keep the house small/simple and to spend to make your dream shed/garage/party venue. Big sheds aren't cheap either......

Try and find the property where someone has already given it a crack and given up [treechangers or hobby farm] , or an older "just out of town" listing down south somewhere with the basics already there, you will save a shit ton of money/grief in the long run. Real estate pretty flat at the moment, now is the time to buy.
    Likes Green Trident, sixofthebest, ReCon liked this post

Motorbike
    '13 YZF-R1
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be interested to know the detailing to achieve the thermal and acoustic aspects of a build like this.

I'd imagine you'd have a weatherproof membrane (such as one by Hardie) all around the perimeter, along with suitable insulation to meet BCA/efficiency criteria and a gyprock internal lining? No fire requirements for the walls for something like this?

Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice idea Recon. My family and I are going to do the same however just a bit more acres for a business we are planning. I come from a farming background and my folks have about 40acres in Denmark.

Something to consider is containing your vegetation. In Denmark now as part of the council bushfire plan all paddock grasses must be less than 100mm tall. Yep no joke. So that either means buying livestock and the associated costs or having a tractor and slasher or at least a big ride-on mower and you may have to have all three depending on the block type and usage.

Plus side of livestock is you can sell them (sheep are doing really well @ the moment) or you get a steady source of your own meat (however will need your own coolroom or know someone who does). Firebreaks also need doing yearly or more. Not expensive to hire a contractor but again added costs.

Not sure if this is the case in other councils.
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.
    Likes ReCon liked this post

Motorbike
    VFR800+Tenere660+Postie Bike
    Liked
    72 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tip on fire breaks if you're on acreage.

Approach the local volunteer Fire brigade. Back in the day ours used to plough up the firebreak in return for a little training room on a paddock. They would teach the guys correct size/location of the firebreak and do a few little burns and put them out with the various units to practice pump skills.

Win all round.

Liked
    151 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i sell tools for a living and i live in gero so i deal with alot of people living far inland and of grid. my advise is only buy honda generators and make sure u service them. lock your bikes and guns up as up here its become a high target as people get careless and leave keys in quads and such.