User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Professional resume writer

Motorbike
    2015 Daytona 675RABS, 2006 CRF450X (Rtd), 2013 Nuda 900RABS (Ret), 2014 Street Triple 660ABS (Ret)
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LinkedIn is where it's at, fix your LinkedIn, if you don't have one time to start one.
    Best I can do to describe the issue is this.
    Normally it goes BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, shift, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

But now it's a bit more like this
    BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-R-R-r-r-r-r-r-, shift

exan
    Likes Geeman liked this post

Motorbike
    Ducati
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was recently made redundant and the re-employment consultant I used said you should keep your resume the same - its a fact sheet.

The cover letter is adapted to address the specifics the employer is looking for, it supplements the facts in your resume.

There are no hard and fast rules here, and each person will approach differently, and each employer will look at them differently.

I've had 4 different job offers in the last 12 months, so my approach seems to be working well with the employers I'm looking at
    Likes Tim the PM liked this post

Motorbike
    Honda CBR1000RR
    Liked
    664 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess if anything this thread confirms what I already believed; Every HR person is different, but they will all tell you "this is the way it should be done"...

Some things are consistent though, grabbing their attention immediately is critical.

I'm getting mine done by a pro (again they all have different ideas about what is correct!) and adjusting what they give me with ideas from several good ones that people have sent me.

Thanks for the input!

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I speak as someone who wades through the applications with the help of a recruitment consultant. When it comes to government jobs they are psychotic about arse-covering and making sure that everyone is treated the same. If you effectively demonstrate that you meet the criteria in the application they have to get you in for an interview. How strongly you interview is what provides some wriggle room but they make sure to ask everyone the same questions and give the same time to answer. If you are found "suitable not preferred" you can remain on an active list in case other similar jobs come up. This way the government can save money by not advertising and interviewing because they know they have someone suitable in the files. The interview panels I've sat on work pretty hard to help people give it their best shot, especially if they appear nervous.
    -

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always written my own Tim.
    I'll do it for a small fee.
    Unemployment for the last 6 years is killing me.
    Likes Tim the PM, Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im getting my resume done up, might aswell put your best foot forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Dealer View Post

Thats mining boom $$$ people are doing them for as little as $95, mine is costing more but not that level.
    RiDe F@sT.. HaVe F).. PlAy Ld

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Give me the job cunt'...short and to the point!
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast
    Likes Halo_2 liked this post

Motorbike
    2015 R1
    Liked
    57 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubs View Post
    yes but theres a difference between satisfying the criteria and authoring a response.
    I satisfy all the criterion for roles but struggle with the written application
    I recommend 'Write a winning job application: a guide to responding to selection criteria, by Lloyd White'. A good resource, but use it to build your own response. Amazed how many people plagerize verbatim. The key is behavioural examples.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Likes Dubs liked this post

Motorbike
    2015 R1
    Liked
    57 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the PM View Post
    I guess if anything this thread confirms what I already believed; Every HR person is different, but they will all tell you "this is the way it should be done"...

Some things are consistent though, grabbing their attention immediately is critical.

I'm getting mine done by a pro (again they all have different ideas about what is correct!) and adjusting what they give me with ideas from several good ones that people have sent me.

Thanks for the input!
    Hi Tim,
    I don't think that there is one answer. Different sectors, industries, panel members and jobs have different requirements.
    From my perspective as an employer, I look for different things in a CV for call centre staff (duties based) to a technician (tech and quals based) to a project manager (outcome/achievement based).
    My recommendation would be to target your CV to the job that you are applying for. Ring the contact person, to make sure the job is what you thought. Use the conversation with the contact person to understand your audience. Someone calls me about a call centre position, I talk about the duties (ie types of calls/customers). Someone calls me about a Project Manager, I talk about the outcomes (responsible for managing X project resources to successfully deliver Y and Z).
    Having said that this gets a bit lost when employers use a comsultant as the contact point who has generic answers on the process.
    Usually get 30 to 200 applicants for every job. Gotta filter that down to a managable number of interviews. Usually only get a handfull of phone enquiries.
    Just another opinion/ perspective to add to your collection.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk