PSB Events Tally

User Tag List

Thread: DRZ 400E's

Motorbike
    Benelli Tornado 900RS (Sadlt Sold), TnT R160 & Victory Judge :-)
    Liked
    311 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DRZ 400E's

looking to buy one soon around the 4k mark for some trail / adventure riding.

Are they all the same essentially the E models in Australia?
    Any pro's or cons or thing to be aware of when buying specific to them?

I was keen to mount up some hard cases on the back if its possible.

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all the DRZ400E's are the same 2000 thru 2017, some say the early ones had problems with the stator bolts coming loose & auto cam chain tensioner not working.

ive done over 15000k's on my 2015 SM with no issues

Motorbike
    Liked
    311 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers with such a long production run I would think a later model would be well sorted and there appears to be mountains of parts around for them, looks like I have a bunch of forum research to do on the ADV forums around the traps :-)

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they are a bit slow and a bit heavy, but bullet proof and great choice if you want a bike that can do just about every thing half good.. it wont do every thing great but will get the job done with minimal hassles haha

second hole down from the back of her neck
    Motorbike
    honestly, it's just a bruise....
    Liked
    1372 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    up to 02 had different forks (preload adjustable but not sure on dampening, rest have comp/rebound only), as Hillz said early auto cam chain tensioners could be a bit suss but no common probs with any after that. have usual reg/rec issues and charging issues, most linked to failed earth or poor battery lead connection/condition, common fixes available. Usual maintenance, have around 1800mL oil capacity so 1000-1500km intervals for oil and filter, but lots of guys in the states (have "s" model, lower comp, heavier etc) do 3-6k mile intervals with no probs. Plenty of "e's" with 100k + on them, lots fail at around 20k due to dusting tho, so keep an eye on filter condition. If you look at the specs compared to previous gen wrf450, only 10kg heavier, but carry 1L more oil, 3L more fuel and a lil more coolant too. Puts the "heavy" comments in perspective. Strong, reliable, fairly simple. Most need steering head bearing repacked if you cbf, swingarm and rear linkage have grease nipples, so no excuses!
    As with most bikes, a lil extra protection for rads, bars and frame a good idea, must put crankcase covers on due to soft mag case covers.
    I am on my second one now, both have never missed a beat. And the current one gets dropped regularly
    yes, i am ignorant
    yes, i am a prick
    no, i don't care
    you make me sick

Motorbike
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    E is the Enduro model and has an alluminium subframe which isn't suitable for carrying luggage I believe. Kawasaki KLX400 is a rebadged Suzuki DRZ400 and can be found cheaper sometimes.

Likes ReCon, azasmouch liked this post

Motorbike
    A slow one.......
    Liked
    2133 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to ask yourself really what you plan on doing with it. I have never been a fan of the DRZ I think they are a boring bike in both performance and looks.
    Realistically unless you are going to do some long tour rides you'd be lucky to put 5-6000km on a dirt bike a year, plenty of other more fun and reliable bikes around that will easily do that.

If you plan on doing longer rides I'd look at some of the bigger euro 500cc plus bikes, if you only plan on doing shorter rides 200-300km (which is a fuck load off road) then any of the 450 endure bikes would be perfect.

The DRZ is a farm bike that's coped some good marketing!!
    B19 Oakford V.B.F.S
    Likes Mr Bean liked this post

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mike View Post
    Got to ask yourself really what you plan on doing with it. I have never been a fan of the DRZ I think they are a boring bike in both performance and looks.
    Realistically unless you are going to do some long tour rides you'd be lucky to put 5-6000km on a dirt bike a year, plenty of other more fun and reliable bikes around that will easily do that.

If you plan on doing longer rides I'd look at some of the bigger euro 500cc plus bikes, if you only plan on doing shorter rides 200-300km (which is a fuck load off road) then any of the 450 endure bikes would be perfect.

The DRZ is a farm bike that's coped some good marketing!!

They start good though, eh?
    Likes shortSteve liked this post

Motorbike
    CBR 125 Fully Sick Edition, Z1000, XJR13 hunjy. The wife
    Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've probably already done a million hours of online homework, however maybe consider a lightened DR 650 as well?

Yep, they are heavier, but can be lightened considerably and a few basic performance mods make a big improvement. ( YouTube is your friend) Plenty of aftermarket bits available as well.

Z's too are a bit buzzy if you consider a long run every now and then , where the DR is a better road going/ ADV bike.

Just another thing to think about..
    Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Motorbike
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just sold my DR650. Bought it new and bolted on all the fruit but spent the whole time wishing I had a DRZ400. They're too heavy for weekend riding, especially if you're inexperienced.

Motorbike
    Liked
    311 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be using it for trail riding and running from beeliar / Jandakot into freo for work as Im too much of a tight ass to pay 2K a year for parking the car :-)

I have a set of givi aluminium adv panniers cases at home to carrying some gear for camping, and wouldn't mind throwing a gun case on the side for station hunting trips. so may have to locate a steel frame from a wreckers. I looked at husky TE's and KTM and WR's but figure its a more of a higher endure spec bike than what I'm after. I may look into KLX 450's and see what oil capacity they run etc.

Pity quads aren't road legal :-)
    Likes shortSteve liked this post

second hole down from the back of her neck
    Motorbike
    honestly, it's just a bruise....
    Liked
    1372 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R160 View Post
    I'll be using it for trail riding and running from beeliar / Jandakot into freo for work as Im too much of a tight ass to pay 2K a year for parking the car :-)

I have a set of givi aluminium adv panniers cases at home to carrying some gear for camping, and wouldn't mind throwing a gun case on the side for station hunting trips. so may have to locate a steel frame from a wreckers. I looked at husky TE's and KTM and WR's but figure its a more of a higher endure spec bike than what I'm after. I may look into KLX 450's and see what oil capacity they run etc.

Pity quads aren't road legal :-)

E's don't have a thermo fan, no problem if you keep moving, but if doing traffic maybe consider a wr250r/crf or a thermo conversion (few hungie bucks from stores like ballards, or cheap if you can be fagged wiring up a computer fan. IIRC there is already a "feed" wire for it).
    Steel side racks can be bought/made to suit ali subframe, plenty of rear racks around too. No need to go steel one, unless wanting pillions as it has pegs and ali ones don't.

sS
    yes, i am ignorant
    yes, i am a prick
    no, i don't care
    you make me sick

Motorbike
    Big tard and little tard
    Liked
    693 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had a problem with carrying stuff on my e, I bolt up a B&B rack and it's all good.
    As for the thermo fan thing I jist keep an eye on the temp (Vapor dash) and switch it off at the lights if need be. The bigger problem is likely to be the lack of thermostat, in winter it's lucky to hit 40 unless I cover the rad guards in duct tape.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk