Thread: 1965 Triumph Chopper

Liked
    739 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So with the front end in place, and the frame rails parallel to the ground (which would be ideal) the horizontal distance between the neck and the axle comes in way under budget at 430mm.

But as you can see, the position of the front axle is waaaay lower that the frame rails, when it should be higher and close to parallel with the rear axle position, so my frame will not sit like this once we have wheels on it.

Liked
    739 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after some quick calculations I repositioned the bike and placed in on the same angle as it would sit if I had a 19" front wheel and 16" rear wheel with the tyres I plan I using.

As you can see the front of the frame is now pointing upwards, in that real 1970's Chopper reach for the sky doing a wheelie while sitting still look. What this effectively does is increase the rake of the neck and pushes the front axle a lot further out. How far? Sitting like this the horizontal distance between the neck and front axle now becomes 585mm, which is 35mm longer than what is legal any where in Australia.

So the first major challenge with this bike is to solve this problem and get that front axle back within that 550mm limit. There are some options here and the first thing we'll investigate is using a much shorter coil over shock absorber in the front end, so lower the front end and try and get the girder parallel links to sit about perpendicular to the angle of the neck, like the example shown below.

This would lower the front of the bike and hence reduce the rake at the same time, and pull the front axle back a bit. Would it be far enough? I don't yet know and when I have a little more time I'll play around with that idea and take some more measurements.

If that doesn't work the next option I will look into is chopping the frame and stretching the position of the neck upwards about 6 inches or so. That is a huge undertaking and will require Engineering and Transport Department approvals before going there, but I won't rule it out.

Likes roomandu liked this post

Liked
    1 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wondering, could you shorten the length at the bottom of the girders? Lop some length off (making sure the tire still clears), get new axle plates laser cut, weld them in?
    I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people, I'm just saying lets remove all the warning lables and let the problem sort itself out...
    - Sarcasteacher

Liked
    739 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaynus View Post
    Just wondering, could you shorten the length at the bottom of the girders? Lop some length off (making sure the tire still clears), get new axle plates laser cut, weld them in?
    Yes that's another option, or maybe easier just make whole new legs for the front end. But I'd rather cut the frame and extend it than shorten the front end, just to be different and to make things harder lol

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aus used to be so laid back about modding stuff.
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast
    Likes El Skitzo liked this post

Motorbike
    2006 CBR1000RR ... 2005 ER6-n still in pieces
    Liked
    18 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subbed....not my usual style choice in a bike but really interested to see how this turns out
    God gave Man both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.

Motorbike
    honda CBR1100xx norton commando 850
    Liked
    85 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once the rear tyre is on and the frame is lifted off the floor to the correct height wont that change the angle the forks sit at and therefore the 585mm would shrink a bit anyway wouldn't it?

Motorbike
    Liked
    18 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonky View Post
    Once the rear tyre is on and the frame is lifted off the floor to the correct height wont that change the angle the forks sit at and therefore the 585mm would shrink a bit anyway wouldn't it?
    I think that's what El Skitzo was doing in the picture above with the trolley jack and the oil container.....kinda setting the frame at the height/angle it will sit with the wheels and tyres fitted
    God gave Man both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.

Liked
    739 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    I think that's what El Skitzo was doing in the picture above with the trolley jack and the oil container.....kinda setting the frame at the height/angle it will sit with the wheels and tyres fitted
    Yes exactly right Sword. In that picture I have calculated the angle it will all sit on with a front and rear wheel in it. Obviously it would sit higher with wheels in it, but the angle front to back should be exactly the same.

I'm quietly hoping that even with a smaller shock that it still doesn't make it within legal limits, so I have to do something dramatic like chopping and stretching the frame. You just don't see people doing that sort of thing in WA, so that makes me want to do it more

Motorbike
    A Clockwork Orange
    Liked
    2173 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you mean adding a gooseneck shaped section at the headstem?

S.
    Buy my KTM RC8. Stunning condition. Stock as a rock. https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...d.php?t=186147

Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Liked
    739 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
    Do you mean adding a gooseneck shaped section at the headstem?

S.
    Not quite. I mean just chop the down tube and add about 4-6 inches into it to extend the neck position higher. Which would obviously mean a new backbone as well. By sending the neck higher, the front of the frame won't kick up by itself so much and rake out like it does now. I can't change the rake in the neck as the whole neck piece is cast as needs to be left as is.

Here's a quick photoshop of what might be required. Once I have wheels on it, I'll go see an Engineer to talk about legalities...

Motorbike
    Liked
    18 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Skitzo View Post
    I'm quietly hoping that even with a smaller shock that it still doesn't make it within legal limits, so I have to do something dramatic like chopping and stretching the frame. You just don't see people doing that sort of thing in WA, so that makes me want to do it more
    You sir are a glutton for punishment......But I also am hoping it doesn't fall within the limits as then I can see what you do!!!
    Likes El Skitzo, roomandu liked this post

Motorbike
    honda CBR1100xx norton commando 850
    Liked
    85 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had a nice read through some of Steve Mcqueens adventures on triumphs. He raced a 1965 bonnie at the desert races back in the day, certainly no chopper but the bike has some pedigree