2 x R1's
    Liked
    646 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look forward to seeing it out and circulating. Congrats on the race license.
    Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Motorbike
    Old Ducati's (trouble) '06 R1 (reliable)
    Liked
    2 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Righto, so I'm thinking the most important box to tick now is the Historic Logbook: no Logbook = no race.

Having had virtually nothing to do with Historic's racing bar casting lustful glances at some of the machinery, and enjoying watching the weird and wonderful mix on track, I have absolutely no idea what to expect from this process. So I dowloaded the application form and noticed the estimated time frame for processing: 6 weeks. Hmmmm, best to get the process started and sort the pissy lil' detail jobs while I'm waiting, rather than the other way 'round.

I risk shooting myself in the foot though: you have to supply pic's of the bike, both sides, both faired and unfaired ready to race. I haven't sorted the belly pan, or fitted the case guards but I'm hoping they'll see it more as an exercise in verifying it really is an ol' tractor is not simply a Panigale in disguise, rather than sweating the little stuff which is handled at local scrutineering.

Time will tell.....and at least the process is started and I'll know where I stand.

As submitted (must be against a light coloured background, hence mugshot style):

And a couple more:

The pic's don't show it well but the "original" side panels don't quite match the front/tail/tank, and in the 4(?) years since I last had a good look at them they aren't in quite as good nick as I thought, so something else for Potato to work is magic on at some stage (insert my wife's sigh here).

Still to do:
    Fit up bellypan
    Sort air filter (tricky with Corsa air box)
    Trim airbox to clear front tank mounts
    Turn up plugs for the footpegs
    Turn up spacer for rear tank mount
    Install Power Commander (painful: needs exhaust/radiator/front engine mount removal and pivot engine to access under airbox)
    Manufacture battery clamp
    Investigate fouling front brake line
    Re-route clutch line
    Get a few temperature cycles into engine, then cover my balls and head for the dyno to set up the PC

And after that lil' lot I'll probably find it's all been a monumental waste of time, 'cos thanks to the Corsa intake the bloody thing has a turning circle rivalling the Queen Mary and it won't make it around the hairpin at Collie! Oh well, it's cheaper than therapy.....
    Likes VULGR, Slug_BM, Mr Bean, House, whowalks and 1 others liked this post

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading this Ducati build thread (which is looking pretty impressive BTW), it's good to know my R1 went to someone who knows what they're doing 😊

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    I'll actually be sad to lose the fun of turn 3 with the extension.
    Yup, turns 3 and 4 - my favourite section of that track.

Motorbike
    Old Ducati's (trouble) '06 R1 (reliable)
    Liked
    2 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    After reading this Ducati build thread (which is looking pretty impressive BTW), it's good to know my R1 went to someone who knows what they're doing 😊
    Thanks Kristy....not sure about the "knows what he's doing" comment though, my wife would disagree on soooooooo many levels!

I'm still well and truly in love with your sweet R1, still get a buzz every time I open the shed door. It has been a bit of a mental battle though, being a recidivist tinkerer, the urge to mod is always there.....but realistically it needs bugger all, which is convenient seeing the the finances are stretched building the 851. So the cat has gone from the exhaust giving it a nice lil' crackle on the over run, and an as new '07/8 shock was a cheap fix for the renowned soft '06 unit so she holds a line better on corner exit. But otherwise it is as you left it and is just a honey: thank you.

Edit: sorry "Kristy" not Kirsty, damn having a similar named friend!

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know she's going strong <3
    Didn't want to sell her to just anybody - some dude without even his R-E wanted to buy it. Told him I wouldn't sell it to him. Would have have gotten more for it than I ended up getting but that's not the point with bikes you get attached to. Knowing she was going to a good home was important.
    Likes House liked this post