User Tag List

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233

Thread: What does the future hold for bike racing at Barbagallo?

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So bear with me as I'm not a racer and never done a track day on a MC only a Trackskill day in an old Commonwhore about 14 years ago which was on the shortened course
    Also a quick job with Paint and a roller ball mouse gives a very squiggly outcome

How are they going to run it through there?

The cars do the blue line and the MC's red? If the red then that's quite a bit of speed to scrub off isn't it to get round there as I seem to remember that is where we were starting to open it up in the car

#1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 RSV4 Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a group 1 line, but yes you got it.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are they gonna change the corner name to 'lose the front bend" ?
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."
    Likes Scraper, Shady7/8 liked this post

Motorbike
    Triumph Trident
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeBloke View Post
    Do you know something that the engineers who wrote the reports don't? according to them it was noteworthy but not critical...
    1 I most certainly do not know something that the engineers who wrote the reports don't. I'm sure it is noteworthy but not critical.
    2 I think we all know about run off's at Turn 7.
    3 I believe "kitty litter" has excellent speed arrester properties which the rotary hoed sand does not.
    4 I am curious to know about the plans regarding the use or non-use of air fences at "Spa-bagallo". I have witnessed the effectiveness air fences and spoken to a rider who has benefitted from their presence.
    The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
    G T

Motorbike
    2015 R1
    Liked
    57 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be great to see bikes racing at Barbs again.
    The entry looks pretty tight from the photo but I'm looking forward to giving it a crack.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Likes Green Trident, Tim the PM liked this post

Motorbike
    Old Ducati's (trouble) '06 R1 (reliable)
    Liked
    2 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of questions spring to mind:

1. What happens when you "miss" the chicane? It's going to be interesting to see how they sort rejoining the track. It's not WSB/MotoGP with hordes of marshalls and camera's ensuring you gain no advantage. It would suck to have someone miss the chicane and basically suffer no penalty.

2. This is purely out of curiosity, but the Hall Report said this about T3: "This is the most critical of all the nominated risk areas; for both motorcycles and cars. It should be considered as extremely high priority. The fact that the solution would require either re-alignment of the track layout or a major realignment of the barriers is a direct reflection of the severity of the outcome of any event occurring at this location." So what has changed for the 4 wheel brigade? Am I missing something?

Motorbike
    Hot tub SRAD time machine
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not a racer but always been a keen spectator, looks like a good cost effective solution which was always going to be part of overall track upgrade. So very soon everyone will be back in business having missed some time but solved the issue and thats gotta be a great outcome for everyone involved, spectators included.

i know as a non racer, my opinion, input or interest isnt wanted by some ( personally i think thats been part of the problem ) but having been in small sporting clubs ive never seen a sport / interest / club so divided.

You guys no matter what your opinion of the whole thing was, is, for the sport in Perth need to be able to put the whole thing behind you, mend the fences and move on. thats going to be the hard bit but must happen if the sport is going not only survive but hopefully grow the grids again.

I wish you all the best of luck for the coming season.
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Likes -JC-, Water pig, shortSteve, Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    1. What happens when you "miss" the chicane? It's going to be interesting to see how they sort rejoining the track. It's not WSB/MotoGP with hordes of marshalls and camera's ensuring you gain no advantage. It would suck to have someone miss the chicane and basically suffer no penalty.

2. This is purely out of curiosity, but the Hall Report said this about T3: "This is the most critical of all the nominated risk areas; for both motorcycles and cars. It should be considered as extremely high priority. The fact that the solution would require either re-alignment of the track layout or a major realignment of the barriers is a direct reflection of the severity of the outcome of any event occurring at this location." So what has changed for the 4 wheel brigade? Am I missing something?
    1. No different to when riders go wide at T7 and on the wrong side of the rubble strip and rather than going through pits they cut back in they receive a time penalty. this is often picked up my both a flag marshal and other riders that will protest. Miss the chicane and any number of riders will protest, along with being spotted by the marshal at that tower. Not to mention your lap time would stand out so far it would clearly show up on the timing screen. Miss any part of a track, take short cuts or rejoin the track in an unsafe manner you are subject to the penalties that have been in existence since day one. The governing of this rule is already in place.

2. I may be alone here, but couldn't give a rats what the cars do. I would prefer it if nothing with 4 wheels ever touches the chicane (times 100 Billion for drifters) as all that a car can do is ruin a surface. Last thing I'd want to see is the entry to the chicane begin to get rippled by the braking forces of cars, and the rest of it covered in drifting rubber.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes Tim the PM liked this post

Motorbike
    Triumph Trident
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah you're not alone TurboR1...
    G T
    Likes Scraper liked this post

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's tight enough as it is for a bike and they can use a greater width of the track to negotiate the corner. A car would be inclined to drift through it. A car getting on the power after such a slow speed corner will see the track surface go to shit. Ditto for the cars staying off it.
    Last edited by Kristy; 20-01-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Motorbike
    Old Ducati's (trouble) '06 R1 (reliable)
    Liked
    2 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    1. No different to when riders go wide at T7 and on the wrong side of the rubble strip and rather than going through pits they cut back in they receive a time penalty. this is often picked up my both a flag marshal and other riders that will protest. Miss the chicane and any number of riders will protest, along with being spotted by the marshal at that tower. Not to mention your lap time would stand out so far it would clearly show up on the timing screen. Miss any part of a track, take short cuts or rejoin the track in an unsafe manner you are subject to the penalties that have been in existence since day one. The governing of this rule is already in place.

Yup, understand that, although I thought rejoining after running off at T7 was a non-negotiable ride through the pits, didn't realise the time penalty "option" was there although I'm guessing it is pretty severe given how long it takes to do the ride through. Fingers crossed I'm competing again this year and find out....via someone else rather than doing it myself would be my preferred option. No, I was just thinking of someone blowing off the chicane (through a legitimate mistake) and possibly getting a better run at the old T4 than those who actually completed the chicane even though they rejoined without (initially) gaining position. I guess even another short/sharp chicane marked with cones on the "bypass" would force a slow re-entry (plenty of room to get up to speed again before the racing line on l/h side of the track) and would do the job of penalising a mistake without having to calculate time penalty's, marshalls looking the right way or anyone protesting. Keep It Simple Stupid is the only thing that (sometimes) works for me, the more things look after themselves and less people have to get involved the better. No biggie, we'll soon find out....

2. I may be alone here, but couldn't give a rats what the cars do. I would prefer it if nothing with 4 wheels ever touches the chicane (times 100 Billion for drifters) as all that a car can do is ruin a surface. Last thing I'd want to see is the entry to the chicane begin to get rippled by the braking forces of cars, and the rest of it covered in drifting rubber.
    Haha, totally agree! I don't care that they haven't done anything, they have had the opportunity and have the power to effect change but have chosen not to so it's on them. Good point about the track deterioration.

Motorbike
    a couple...
    Liked
    585 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to believe this is actually happening. Have been a bit busy crashing bikes in Japan so maybe missed it, but is it confirmed that MA will sanction the track once changes are done?
    coincidentally, my glass turned up in Perth on Friday.

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

slowpoke, it would come down to the discretion of the chief steward/marshal, and applied, and punished as deemed appropriate dependant on the severity.

I've seen riders rejoin going wide at 7 as opposed to the riding through the pits and has ranged from getting away with it, right up to black flag.

If you go ploughing through the original track at full speed, expect a black flag.

If you out-break yourself and end up in there and rejoin safely without gaining an advantage expect no punishment.

Some level of common sense should prevail.
    Likes Para045, Green Trident liked this post

Motorbike
    2012 zx10r
    Liked
    13 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bus stop? "T-bone central. How many bike can fit safely into that corner.? Be interesting to see how it goes in the first race for that small part of realestate
    Likes Shady7/8 liked this post

Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraper View Post
    Bus stop? "T-bone central. How many bike can fit safely into that corner.? Be interesting to see how it goes in the first race for that small part of realestate
    A lot of older tracks use the same style of stop and go corner to limit speeds where the track design creates a hazard for bikes/modern bikes. It's less than ideal but it works and generally doesn't create a passing opportunity unless you can get a wheel in front well in advance. It shouldn't change that much as there wasn't a lot of passing in the esses anyway (unless someone cocked up or missed a gear). It's going to be interesting though for sure. Coming out of T1 on full noise in 3rd gear then pulling up quickly, knocking the bike on it's side, picking it up on the gas hard (light front wheel) and trying to find the proper line for the lefthander again will make for a really busy section. Oh man. That description made me a bit hard I'll be honest.
    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.
    Likes Tim the PM liked this post

Motorbike
    stealth busa
    Liked
    343 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also isnt that part of the track going up hill ( making that bit look wider/thinner in the different pix )?
    where's the camber on that
    Note: this may not be the universe where the above is relevant.

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Barbs has been re-licenced by MA. FB post by MCRC:

We are happy to say that MA has issued the track license for Barbagallo Raceway, so all scheduled Barbagallo events for 2019 are go.

MCRCWA would like to acknowledge the efforts of the WASCC in the works program that they completed in the Jan/Feb period of this year, that included the addition of the chicane to see competitive motorcycle activities return to the circuit. The MCRCWA Exec are very aware of how quickly they acted to get all the design work completed and approved after consultation with MWA & MA identified a way forward, as well the minimal time to have it include in the planned works.

Looking forward, our first competitive event at Barbagallo (Round 1 of a 2 Round Interclub Series) will be next weekend on Sunday the 10th of March. Entries are still open.

We also have a tuning day for our MCRCWA members with a Competition License on Monday the 4th March to allow people to become familiar with the new track configuration, as well as check bike set-up associated with the new surface.

Entries into both can be made through the club website.
    www.mcrcwa.com.au
    Dislikes slowpoke disliked this post

Motorbike
    Honda CBR1000RR
    Liked
    664 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -JC- View Post
    Will be great to see bikes racing at Barbs again.
    The entry looks pretty tight from the photo but I'm looking forward to giving it a crack.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    I spent the day at the track today for it's 50th "Golden Jubilee" race meeting (and will be there tomorrow and Monday)
    The entry to the bus stop is a lot wider than it appears in the photos. I'll try to post one of mine.
    Likes -JC- liked this post

Motorbike
    Triumph Trident
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done to all concerned, the MCRC is back on track.
    G T
    Likes TurboR1, Tim the PM liked this post