Liked
    183 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
    original Mazda supplied tyre done just on 50,000kms so its done pretty well i reckon and just about ready for a new set which we've started to look at. Meantime It got a screw in it so it has a slow leak so I took it into "national franchise local tyre shop" to get it plugged, after accepting the job and putting it on the hoist and removing it, consulting with the supervisor the young bloke said "mate we aren't going to plug it because its bald as... you'll have to buy a new one or we can put the run time spare on it "

I said no the tyre was "nearly" bald. has worn evenly and would reach its wear limit when the wear indicator and the tread either side become a continuous band, show me where it has worn down flat to the indicator on the tyre, you accepted the job and ive now waited for you to do it

I asked him who was on staff who was suitably government qualified and recognised to carry out road worthiness inspections for the transport authority he said "its our opinion, we're just being professional"

is this a thing now ??
    Beaurepaires??

Motorbike
    2013 Ducati 1199s Panigale
    Liked
    24 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legal? Yes (barely)
    Would I drive on it? No
    Can you put a temporary plug in it? Yes but most tyre shops won't because they do want to upsell you. We still do because it is sometimes still the right solution like in your case.

I don't even think there is anywhere outside of the government centres that are technically allowed to provide a official road worthiness inspection (although this may be changing) so yes it was a professional opinion.

Source: Work in the industry
    Morley Tyrepower

(08) 9275 3394

tyrepowermorley@westnet.com.au

For all your car needs
    Likes Heretic, Phildo liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Farkass View Post
    Source: Work in the industry
    Your signature gives it away
    Likes Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    Plausible Denial
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    Beaurepaires??
    it had big letter T in it
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Motorbike
    Liked
    24 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't me was it :O Certainly hope not! Which store out of interest?
    Morley Tyrepower

(08) 9275 3394

For all your car needs

Motorbike
    Plausible Denial
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nah farkass , wasnt you or one of your chain and it was up Joondalup way
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Motorbike
    Liked
    24 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nah farkass , wasnt you or one of your chain and it was up Joondalup way
    Phew! I can't even really comment to the other Tyrepower dealers (as we are all independently owned) but I know that K-Mart, Beaurepairs and Bob Jane as they are mostly centrally owned they do have their own guidelines and policies ESPECIALLY around puncture repairs. We've just decided as I said that string plugs are sometimes the right solution and provided the customer knows the risks, then its still the right thing to do. Same thing goes for irregular fitments on cars. Some stores have an express policy to only fit placarded sizes to keep them in the clear from the regulatory and legal perspective but realistically, if you look at the ADRs, there is some scope to change of sizes! It's a funny sort of industry to be honest :/
    Morley Tyrepower

(08) 9275 3394

For all your car needs

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort of makes sense now given Uncle Bob had a hard-on for only selling new tyres apparently due to one of his sons dying due to failure of a retreaded tyre
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    Sort of makes sense now given Uncle Bob had a hard-on for only selling new tyres apparently due to one of his sons dying due to failure of a retreaded tyre
    Bob Jane T-Marts is the only major tyre retailer in Australia who do not sell retread tyres. Jane's personal reason for this is that his second eldest daughter Georgina had died in a car accident in 1991 due to a retreaded tyre blowing out.
    Daughter's boyfriend who was driving was also a drug user which probably didn't help.

On a separate note

Given that it's often your family's life on the line, there's no excuse for skimping on tyres.

You wouldn't put cheap Chinese tyres on your road bike, why put them on your car?

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Dealer View Post
    Daughter's boyfriend who was driving was also a drug user which probably didn't help.

On a separate note

Given that it's often your family's life on the line, there's no excuse for skimping on tyres.

You wouldn't put cheap Chinese tyres on your road bike, why put them on your car?
    Ah was his daughter not son, I knew it was one of his family that was the reason why he started selling new tyres only

It really depends on your expectations and use as far as tyres, I've used Shinko tyres on my BB with no issues yet some people wouldn't run them Were they as good as Michelin etc well no but I never expected them to be and they did the job I needed at the time and saved some money
    Same with Cheng Shin, I used them many years ago on my 250 and while not great they were much cheaper than Bridgies etc at the time and did the job as long as I rode to their limitations

I used to run Bandag retreads on my old F100 a lot of the time and again while they weren't the greatest as far as grip or handling/feedback I couldn't wear the fuckers out with doing burnouts the tread was so deep They were a 1/3 the price of most 4WD tyres at the time too I never felt I was risking my families life using them as I drove to their limitations

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor

Motorbike
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    I used to run Bandag retreads on my old F100 a lot of the time and again while they weren't the greatest as far as grip or handling/feedback I couldn't wear the fuckers out with doing burnouts the tread was so deep They were a 1/3 the price of most 4WD tyres at the time too I never felt I was risking my families life using them as I drove to their limitations
    I've tried cheap Falken tyres ($170ea) on my ute and in the wet they're hopeless. Currently run Bridgestone REE003s and they've saved my life twice now in the wet. Only last week in Adelaide a lady went through a red light as I was turning right on a green arrow and I had to slam on the anchors. The Falkens would have seen me plough into her Lancer. The Bridgestones stopped like it was a dry road.

Admittedly after the Phillip Island MotoGP tyre debacle in 2013 I said I'd never buy Bridgestones again

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Dealer View Post
    I've tried cheap Falken tyres ($170ea) on my ute and in the wet they're hopeless. Currently run Bridgestone REE003s and they've saved my life twice now in the wet. Only last week in Adelaide a lady went through a red light as I was turning right on a green arrow and I had to slam on the anchors. The Falkens would have seen me plough into her Lancer. The Bridgestones stopped like it was a dry road.

Admittedly after the Phillip Island MotoGP tyre debacle in 2013 I said I'd never buy Bridgestones again
    Oh yeah I do agree that good tyres can make a difference depending on how they are used My FG Falcon XR6 Turbo had 1/2 worn Dunlop SP SportMax's on it when I bought it a couple of years back and while the fronts gripped OK the backs would spin up quite easily in the wet but put it down to age/wear They also started to wear badly on the inner edge which I initially thought was just an alignment issue but the alignment was OK when I got it looked at

I then replaced them with another set of Dunlop SP SportMax's and had the same issues, bad wear on the front inners and they would spin up quite easily in the wet even when new They also only lasted ~40k which isn't great

I have now got the Bridgestone 003's on it and the difference is amazing Yes if I really floor it I can get it to spin up but not in 3rd gear like the Dunflops! I also don't seem to be getting the wear issues on the front either

Likes Speed Dealer liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saying that I used some tyres over the years on my old EL 5L Falcon ex cop car and had expensive Michelins just tear chunks out of themselves on the coarse chip roads I drive on and only last ~28k yet got some decent mileage and grip from some cheaper tyres