Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exhaust wrap

Hi. I have a hyosung gt650 (say what you want, i dont care, i like the bike) and the front pipe off the engine has gone a bit shitty looking as most header pipes do. I an thinking of wraping it with the exhaust wrap tape but am a little concerned as to whether or not it will retain too much heat within the pipe.
    Is this something to be concerned about or am i over thinking it all?

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Motorbike
    2015 R1
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That does look a bit shitty...!

What about cleaning it? I've seen it done with oven-cleaner (no idea how it might affect the longevity of the part though). It doesn't look like access is much of an issue on your bike.

Motorbike
    2006 zzr250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal0 View Post
    That does look a bit shitty...!

What about cleaning it? I've seen it done with oven-cleaner (no idea how it might affect the longevity of the part though). It doesn't look like access is much of an issue on your bike.
    Have thought about dunking it in an electrolysis bath to see how well that works as well... or even just painting with black gloss exhaust enamel.

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why did the Hyosung rider insulate his exhaust?

So he didn't burn his hands when pushing it.

...Okay those jokes work better when it's a car.

What about:

How did the Hyosung rider triple the value of their bike?

They wrapped the exhaust and filled up with petrol.

Seriously though. Heat in a pipe is a good thing, it helps the exhaust gasses flow better. Using exhaust wrap can have the consequence of having poor grade steel pipes rust underneath it, but that wouldn't seem too catastrophic in this case.

Best method - have the pipe ceramic coated by Competition Industrial Coatings. But any of the things you've said (paint) are fine. Spend as few dollars and as little time as you can.

Oven cleaner works on two stroke pipes coated with cooking oil, it doesn't touch rust. A wire brush and a polisher will, but it'll just rust again if left bare.

Glad you like your bike. Don't ride another and it'll be the best bike you've ever had.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes Ryanoceros, Coastal0, filbert liked this post

Motorbike
    2006 zzr250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post

What about:

Seriously though. Heat in a pipe is a good thing, it helps the exhaust gasses flow better. Using exhaust wrap can have the consequence of having poor grade steel pipes rust underneath it, but that wouldn't seem too catastrophic in this case.

Best method - have the pipe ceramic coated by Competition Industrial Coatings. But any of the things you've said (paint) are fine. Spend as few dollars and as little time as you can.

Oven cleaner works on two stroke pipes coated with cooking oil, it doesn't touch rust. A wire brush and a polisher will, but it'll just rust again if left bare.

Glad you like your bike. Don't ride another and it'll be the best bike you've ever had.
    Nice jokes bro...

This bike is much better than mynold zzr250. I will upgrade it again 1 day so it will do for now. Just want to tidy a few things up. It doesnt matter what you ride or drive it always looks better being tidy.

I think i might go for the wrap as i have a roll of it at home that i was gonna use on the zzr

Motorbike
    2006 CBR1000RR ... 2005 ER6-n still in pieces
    Liked
    18 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cleaned my ER-6n front pipes with pool acid.....brushed it on, waited a few minutes and then rinsed it off with copious amounts of water.....brought them up lovely.....will still need a polish though but got all the crap off them and they looked worse than yours do to start with
    God gave Man both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.

Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about:

Those is glass houses...
    Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools. - Sir Douglas Robert Steuart Bader
    Likes Loud liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a man Riding a hyo is like a man driving a base model holden cruise or such, it tells the world you have no real interest in motoring & it is just a thing to get you A to B
    Hoonaholics Garage

Motorbike
    2006 zzr250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillz View Post
    a man Riding a hyo is like a man driving a base model holden cruise or such, it tells the world you have no real interest in motoring & it is just a thing to get you A to B
    This thing goes pretty good... and being a poor cunt like me its the biggest i could afford while still being lams.

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phteven View Post
    This thing goes pretty good... and being a poor cunt like me its the biggest i could afford while still being lams.
    I wouldn't be too worried about it mate, not everyone is a rich prick and can buy a newer/better/prettier bike whenever they like

Many many years ago when I got my L class (pre R days) I had to ride my bunky Yamaha XS250 for several years because I couldn't afford to upgrade

Personally I'd be hesitant on using the wrap for the corrosion reasons stated above but then given the low cost of the bike and the fact you are trying to keep to a budget and already have the wrap anyway I'd probably be inclined to use it but maybe try what Sword said clean them up 1st and maybe a can of exhaust paint before wrapping them to at least slow down any chance of corrosion
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    Ducati 1199 Panigale; Suzuki GSXR750 SRAD
    Liked
    330 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillz View Post
    And what does riding a Kawasaki say to the world?
    You should follow the OP and spend less time worrying about what the world thinks of the brand of motorcycle you ride.

On topic... wrap the pipes, it'll be fine. Follow some YouTube videos on how to do it right. You can unwrap it every so
    often to check for any oxidation.
    Spiral out, keep going...

Motorbike
    A Clockwork Orange
    Liked
    2173 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best method - have the pipe ceramic coated
    /end thread.

S.
    Buy my KTM RC8. Stunning condition. Stock as a rock. https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...d.php?t=186147

Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Motorbike
    Harley Davidson FXSB, Ducati 916S, Piaggio MP3 250
    Liked
    5055 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wrap brap fap

there's worse bikes out there than a hyosung and some of them are hondas, at least you're getting what you paid for
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Motorbike
    GPX 250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wrap it
    If the pipes get fucked, you should be able to pick up replacements on the cheap

As for bike choice, everyone is different. I love my baby CBR, does everything I need it too. But I still owned a GPX 250 first

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get RRossi to clean them up or diy
    "One day I'll fly away"

Motorbike
    2006 zzr250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the advice. As for the haters, im not interested in what others say about the bike. As mentioned before you get what you pay for, i accept this and dont expect my bike to pull away from an R1 or 1000 fireblade or ZX10R nor does it have the sex appeal of a fat boy or soft tail. This is only a lams bike and for the moment it is purely an instrument to get to and from work with some weekend fun. Haters are always gonna hate, doesnt matter what you ride or drive. We see it all time on facebook with ford vs holden, toyota vs nissan and so on. Without the haters there would be no improvments on things. We would just settle for the same mundane vehicles. Keep up the good work.

Likes Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    2015 R1
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for the advice. As for the haters, im not interested in what others say about the bike. As mentioned before you get what you pay for, i accept this and dont expect my bike to pull away from an R1 or 1000 fireblade or ZX10R nor does it have the sex appeal of a fat boy or soft tail. This is only a lams bike and for the moment it is purely an instrument to get to and from work with some weekend fun. Haters are always gonna hate, doesnt matter what you ride or drive. We see it all time on facebook with ford vs holden, toyota vs nissan and so on. Without the haters there would be no improvments on things. We would just settle for the same mundane vehicles. Keep up the good work.

Them's fight'n werds.

Motorbike
    2006 zzr250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal0 View Post
    Them's fight'n werds.

Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned before you get what you pay for, i accept this and dont expect my bike to pull away from an R1
    Don't bother defending yourself. F%ck the haters (although what Loud said was amusing). Any bike is fun to ride, even a postie bike can be fun and those that disagree tend to be nothing more than posers who own litre sports bikes yet have chicken strips almost as wide as the tire.

Motorbike
    2006 zzr250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by datsikk View Post
    Don't bother defending yourself. F%ck the haters (although what Loud said was amusing). Any bike is fun to ride, even a postie bike can be fun and those that disagree tend to be nothing more than posers who own litre sports bikes yet have chicken strips almost as wide as the tire.
    And i got mine down to a few mm last weekend