None for now.
    Liked
    247 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stop killing my idea. 'Engineers' will be whoever is best to get a job done. No one is being accused of witchcraft. Kim Kardashian is not invited. It's OK if some of the engineers have dual citizenship.
    Likes Water pig liked this post

Motorbike
    Plausible Denial
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post
    They would all be killed as witches and heretics etc.
    oh shit....

meanwhile

1,000 engineers go back in time ? as soon as they get theres no computers they would they would implode up their own post graduates

send 1,000 carpenters back? they'd probably eventually be ok.
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Likes Para045, saltbush liked this post

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
    oh shit....

meanwhile

1,000 engineers go back in time ? as soon as they get theres no computers they would they would implode up their own post graduates

send 1,000 carpenters back? they'd probably eventually be ok.
    Carpenter would start a religion.
    Try the quiz - http://www.wisdomofchopra.com/quiz.php
    Likes INTJ, Mr DJ liked this post

Motorbike
    None for now.
    Liked
    247 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I'm wondering and why I asked the initial question is have we reached a stage in our knowledge of 'everything' where we no longer have knowledge required to actually get to where we are today if we started again...

For example, we have brilliant programmers and innovators, but would a programmer or engineer or a team working for Intel/AMD/Samsung/Apple/whatever know how to actually 're-invent' a semi-conductor from literally nothing but their knowledge of science/tech?

I know that act in itself would require a whole bunch of steps - hunting and gathering / agriculture, building shelter, medicine, primitive mining leading to more advanced woodwork/metalwork, electricity, microscopes, I have NO CLUE what every innovation from nothing to semi-conductor is and it intrigues me to think if mankind might have forgotten their 'roots'... I guess the digital age was pretty quick once the few madmen figured out the key to life is 1's and 0's so maybe knowing that could help speed things up from the metal ages to the digital age - maybe there's no need for the dark ages...

I watched a YouTube video a while back of a guy on a canoe in a river who actually panned for metal, started a campfire, did a whiz-bang thing with rocks and stuff and ended up with a knife or something similar. It comes back to me every so often and I wonder what mankind could actually do if they lost everything right now...

wew

Motorbike
    Gpx 250 suzuki bandit 1250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    imagine. instead of waiting a week or so for ebay stuff to come in. months on end to have somthing hand crafted...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraletic View Post
    little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Motorbike
    RZ250
    Liked
    2138 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
    and I wonder what mankind could actually do if they lost everything right now...
    Google it?

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny D View Post
    imagine. instead of waiting a week or so for ebay stuff to come in. months on end to have somthing hand crafted...
    Would last a lifetime though

And really we have alot of shit in our houses/sheds we donít really need.
    "One day I'll fly away"

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny D View Post
    Sounds exactly like trying to get parts for a bike, from a dealership
    Likes wheel_of_steell, Sprint liked this post

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys all be tripping.

Engineers come in all shapes and flavours. Take a selection with experience in various areas: Army; construction; mining; naval; biology; chemical; etc. Couple their industry specific knowledge with their lay-person (or greater) knowledge of things they learned at school - including Geography and History.

Now you have a group of people able to build themselves a fortified position with "magical" technology that other cultures revere.

Gunpowder and casting metals is a achievable. Boats are designed and built to improve trade and spread knowledge. Books are written to help preserve and distribute information.

They'd be like the Egyptian Gods, but with the benefits of foresight. So long as they establish a government that prevents them from fracturing, who have a focus on steering the human race to the same state it's in now, the biggest limiting factor would be population growth.

But why the fuck would a group of intelligent people steer humanity to be like it is today? I'd seriously hope they'd choose a better path.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes INTJ liked this post

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    Engineers come in all shapes and flavours. Take a selection with experience in various areas: Army; construction; mining; naval; biology; chemical; etc. Couple their industry specific knowledge with their lay-person (or greater) knowledge of things they learned at school - including Geography and History.
    Knowledge is great but the way I read the OP they have none of the equipment they take for granted these days
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    Knowledge is great but the way I read the OP they have none of the equipment they take for granted these days
    Same as I read it. They'll be building trebuchets, hang gliders, water mills, etc. Trade some of their designs and know how for materials and there'll be no stopping them.

Think Leonardo Da Vinci, but more advanced and with the ability to put their knowledge into production. And many, many centuries earlier.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Street Triple R. Bye bye bandit :(
    Liked
    126 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are we talking a thousand fro Edith Cowan or a thousand from Curtin, as I think that would make a difference.

I would wager that a thousand engineers from 65 years ago would make a better go of it than engineers of today if placed in that opportunity.

Both groups would have to battle the fear that 5hey wo7ld create and the obvious disruption that they could cause. Not good for longevity.
    You can't *burrrp* can't just post, just post anything you feel like morty, you just *burrp* just end up *burrp* end up hurting people's feelings morty I mean how, how would you like it if I said things that offended you morty?

Motorbike
    98 r1
    Liked
    796 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a relevant question that I like to ask people...

If you or anyone got sent back in time to the middle ages, and long story short some king will put you to death unless you can prove within one month you are from the future. What would you do?

The first answer you might consider is that you would tell them about the American continent, and claim that if you prove to them that exists its proof that you are from the future, but as I say you only have one month and they didnt really have ocean going ships back then.

So what would you do?
    My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Redfern View Post
    Tell them that I know which of their next of kin is scheming for their throne, and that if they kill me I'll never be able to warn them.

Also make a paper aeroplane and tell them I can give them the gift of flight.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    None for now.
    Liked
    247 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you or anyone got sent back in time to the middle ages, and long story short some king will put you to death unless you can prove within one month you are from the future. What would you do?

The first answer you might consider is that you would tell them about the American continent, and claim that if you prove to them that exists its proof that you are from the future, but as I say you only have one month and they didnt really have ocean going ships back then.

So what would you do?
    Serious answer: maybe explain gravity, show a grape falling as fast as a big rock

Dumb answer: tell him I know he's fucking his sister
    Likes Sprint liked this post

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't come across a Construction Engineer that can start a dozer. Little only do anything with it.
    Likes Sprint, Rich... liked this post

Motorbike
    A Clockwork Orange
    Liked
    2173 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what would you do?
    Explain any simple mechanisation and apply what you can in 30 days.
    Discuss basic anatomical layouts with the royal physician. Take that person through an autopsy and detail organs and relationships.... remind them youíre not of medical background. Make sure the king is there as an observer.
    Apply basic 1st aid principles to injured parties and teach DRABC to mums teachers soldiers and travellers.
    Explain bacteria and simple precautions. Perhaps apply local agents to cuts and abrasions (plant based).
    The list is almost infinite.... talk alloys to the foundry workers...one day would suffice really.

Oh... Iíd enjoy the local beer also.

S.
    Buy my KTM RC8. Stunning condition. Stock as a rock. https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...d.php?t=186147

Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the responses attacking Engineers are quite humorous and show a high level of ignorance to the complexities that exist in design.

As for going back in time, unless you can speak Latin, you probably couldn't actually communicate using language.

I agree that Engineers of yester year would make a better go of it as they knew how to do things from first principles and did all calcs by hand.

Nowadays, Engineers start at m and work toward Z meaning that they would struggle to get the a to m bit.
    Likes Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX10,CBR1000F
    Liked
    585 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tooling fabrication was part of my discipline.. i suspect a heavy initial reliance on chemical and metallurgical engineering at first, but 1st generation tooling manufacturing could be done in a decade I expect. Beyond that it would be pretty quick, assuming as others say that they aren't burnt as witches, and that education is also prioritised

Eg. A fundamental building block being semiconductors is readily available in the environment, with next to zero effort in refining. It was only the understanding required to use them. Electricity again easy

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 2c.

Staying on track with the OP.

Might have to deal with some issues revolving around .Why everyone that comes in contact with them is dying..? ( viral & bacterial issues..)

How the travellers respond to having noone listen/help/care/understand more than just basic survival needs. (priorities..)

Oh yeh ...and the climate would have to be favourable too, don't want any nasty asteroids terminating the 'experiment' early. (mass extinction)

Foregoing all the preceding... They would need to be forced to go back in time...tho..

And besides.. go forward check out if bitcoin and etherium have jumped in value... and if there is a new eyefon ....Manned space travel? ...better bikes.. from Japan..?

Oh yeh and keep an eye on your kids kids'

Spoiler alert ... bring fire... and the need to destroy everyone and everything that won't agree or work for you. you are an engineer ...after all. And need to replicate tests for authenticity. eh?
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."