User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Anyone disassembed a rear shock before?

Motorbike
    Bandit 1200S
    Liked
    69 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone disassembed a rear shock before?

I have two questions.

1. Are budget shocks just running orifice damping ala damping rod forks? Or do they still use some sort of shimstacks?

2. Is it cost effective to do attempt a rebuild? Obviously you'd need to drill and tap a schrader valve to recharge the shock, source O rings and shaft seals, potentially build custom jigs or tools etc - given one new shock is a few hundred bucks for even commuter bikes, is this something that is worthwhile?

Just to clarify. I'm not talking about rebuilding a high end external reservoir ohlins for racing or MX purposes - I'm talking about keeping flogged old commuter bikes on the road for not much money.
    Quote Originally Posted by devolved
    I just crashed into a schoolbus full of kiddies, killed them all, raped them, set them on fire and now I'm pissing on their charred remains.

Motorbike
    2006 Suzuki GSX1400, 2008 Suzuki SV650
    Liked
    833 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just recently had two standard shocks rebuilt for our 2 race bikes in order to keep costs down while trying to improve handling and performance...at a set budget.

The man who did the work for me...Mark 0411655465
    All I've got and more for #294...RIP Chris Adley
    #158...RIP James Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    Wooohoo !! Fucking 10/10 ride. Cheers for that Aari, you really conditioned my sphincter
    Likes wheel_of_steell liked this post

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on the actual shock Bit of similar discussion in this thread > Birthday makeover for a 88 ZX10 (part two)

As discussed there are places that will rebuild the std BB shock even though they aren't meant to be rebuilt and I had a 95 Fireblade shock rebuilt/resprung and have been using it for 10 years/100k yet SIKYASA couldn't get anyone to rebuild his ZX10 shock

Dyno Time rebuilt mine one of the times, maybe find out from them whether it's possible?
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    2006 R6
    Liked
    1 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Wheel_of_Steell

It all depends on the quantities you are talking about. If you are planning on rebuilding multiple shocks yourself (5+) it "might" be cheaper to buy the relevant tooling, gas(nitrogen), regulator and associated consumables (seals, o-rings, seal drivers, oil etc). You'll also want the relevant shop manual as there are generally specified torque settings for the majority of the fasteners for your piston & shim stack. You'll also need to know how to bleed to gas prior to disassembling, as it is at a high pressure.

If you're only planning on doing 1 or 2 rebuilds, it would be far more cost effective to take it into a shop where they have the relevant tooling & can do it for you relatively cheaply.
    2006 YZF-R6
    • 520 Conversion (-1 +2), SpeedoDRD, EXUP Emulator, PowerCommander + AutoTune, Ohlins Steering Damper
      FrenTubo Braided Lines, Shorty levers, GYTR Shorty, Frame Sliders, Rear Seat Cowl, Fender Eliminator