User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: 2018 MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3 discussion (spoilers)

Motorbike
    Bikeless
    Liked
    20 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rins and Miller were touted as the two dark horses for this year. Rins is injury free now so should have a better year hopefully.

Motorbike
    GSXR1000 - GSXR750
    Liked
    231 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jacks lookin alright on the duck so far.... A month seems so far away....

Motorbike
    Yamaha XSR900
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Petrucci already booted from Pramac in 2019 as they just signed Francesco Bagnaia to replace him. Ducati factory have made it clear their intention is to retain Dovi and Lorenzo so Petrucci has essentially been outsted from Ducati.

Motorbike
    Doesn't matter, don't ride them anymore anyway.
    Liked
    517 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Dealer View Post
    Petrucci already booted from Pramac in 2019 as they just signed Francesco Bagnaia to replace him. Ducati factory have made it clear their intention is to retain Dovi and Lorenzo so Petrucci has essentially been outsted from Ducati.
    He didnt do too badly last season as well. Hope he can secure a seat somewhere next year.
    Likes Speed Dealer liked this post

Motorbike
    Yamaha XSR900
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prefectionist View Post
    He didnt do too badly last season as well. Hope he can secure a seat somewhere next year.
    Pramac is what Tech 3 is to Yamaha. Their young development squad. I wonder if they’re already making contingency plans for the 2021 season. Dovi will be getting on in years and Lorenzo may never deliver. Petrucci isn’t MotoGP world champion material so may as well focus on Jack Miller and another young rider.

Motorbike
    cbr250rr
    Liked
    66 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Dealer View Post
    Pramac is what Tech 3 is to Yamaha. Their young development squad. I wonder if they’re already making contingency plans for the 2021 season. Dovi will be getting on in years and Lorenzo may never deliver. Petrucci isn’t MotoGP world champion material so may as well focus on Jack Miller and another young rider.
    I was a bit surprised they went for Pecco so early on in. They obviously know far more than me but it seems to me he was chosen largly due to his nationality rather than his performances.

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p4p1 View Post
    I was a bit surprised they went for Pecco so early on in. They obviously know far more than me but it seems to me he was chosen largly due to his nationality rather than his performances.
    Baz, Miller, Nakagami etc...
    Also, Simeon and Abraham for the $ they'd bring to the team.
    "This is great. Not only am I not learning, I'm forgetting stuff I used to know".

- Milhouse Van Houten

Motorbike
    Yamaha XSR900
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p4p1 View Post
    Bagnaia's results in his one season of Moto2 are slightly better than anything Jonas Folger ever achieved in Moto2. 5th in your first Moto2 season is actually pretty impressive.

When Tech 3 first signed Folger I think a lot of people were thinking WTF? And health issues aside, he delivered for Tech 3. If he hadn't missed the last 4 races of the season, he would have finished higher than 10th in the championship.

I wonder if Pramac are looking at 'rider patterns' so to speak.

Liked
    973 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tech3 and Yamaha parting ways for 2019.

Was there talk of that potentially having something to do with Rossi having his own team, or was that just Monster/Monsta energy?

Motorbike
    Yamaha XSR900
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Tech3 and Yamaha parting ways for 2019.

Was there talk of that potentially having something to do with Rossi having his own team, or was that just Monster/Monsta energy?
    Big risk moving to KTM on unproven machinery. I'd have liked to see Tech3 Suzuki

Tech3 is to end its long association with Yamaha at the end of the 2018 MotoGP season.

And the hot rumour is that the French team will join KTM and receive the very latest factory machinery in 2019.

"We’ve been offered a deal, that includes something we’ve been waiting for almost since we started with Tech3 and I couldn’t say no," team boss Herve Poncharal explains below.

Tech3's move also opens up the possibility of VR46 joining MotoGP as Yamaha's new satellite team, should the existing teams agree to a new entry.

If Tech3 are moving to KTM, long associated with Red Bull, it seems likely they will not continue with title sponsor Monster.

“To summarize 20 years of an incredible partnership between Tech3 and Yamaha in a few words is a very difficult mission," said Poncharal.

"Since I first met Mr. Iio in 1998, where he gave me the opportunity to join Yamaha Motor Corporation, it has been an extraordinary journey together.

"All I remember are fantastic memories, great results, an awesome atmosphere and astonishing feelings we shared with the Yamaha family, which will always be in my mind and in my heart.

"Clearly, to end that kind of partnership is a big decision for me. All I want to say is more than a huge thank you to Yamaha, to Mr. Tsuji, Mr. Tsuya, Mr. Jarvis and Mr. Nakajima, plus all the guys that have been supporting and helping us.

"Tech3 is a small company, which has to think about the future and has to weigh the different options.

"We’ve been offered a deal, that includes something we’ve been waiting for almost since we started with Tech3 and I couldn’t say no.

"But obviously, we are the Monster Yamaha Team until the last lap of the Valencia GP 2018. Johann Zarco and Hafizh Syahrin will be fighting for top positions and without a doubt, Yamaha can count on us to be a loyal performant partner.

"One more time a huge thank you for Yamaha’s support. I hope they can carry on and have the success they deserve and eventually find a partner to replace Tech3.”

Kouichi Tsuji, general manager of Yamaha motorsports, made clear it had been Tech3's decision to leave:

"Very recently we were informed by Hervé Poncharal, the owner of Tech3, that he has decided not to extend his contract with Yamaha to lease YZR-M1 bikes.

"After discussions with Hervé it was clear that he has chosen to align with a new partner for the future and therefore, regretfully, we were obliged to respect and accept his decision.

"The end of such a successful partnership is always a bit sad, as it also marks the end of a long-term relationship. We are very grateful for Hervé‘s loyalty and support to the Yamaha brand and for the excellent results obtained throughout that time.

"We will continue to provide our full support to the Tech3 team and their riders throughout the 2018 season, while we simultaneously evaluate our options for an alternative team in the MotoGP World Championship class for 2019 and beyond."

2017 star rookie Johann Zarco will again headline this year's Monster Yamaha Tech3 line-up, with rookie Hafizh Syahrin recently confirmed on the second machine, following the withdraw of Jonas Folger.

Zarco - who claimed three podiums, two poles, sixth in the world championship last year - has been linked with KTM since Valencia in November, where he came within 0.337s of what would have been Tech3's first MotoGP victory.

The assumption had been that Zarco would race in the official KTM team, but perhaps the promise of full-factory KTMs will be enough to keep him at the familiar Tech 3 surroundings.

At present, Tech3 uses year-old Yamaha machinery, although problems with the 2017 chassis mean Zarco has opted to remain on the 2016 design.

Factory riders Valentino Rossi and Maverick Vinales are using a 2018 chassis very close to the 2016 version.

KTM joined MotoGP at the start of last season, impressing with its rate of progress during the year.

Dorna has been pushing for each factory to supply at least one satellite team and a Tech3-KTM tie-up would leave only Suzuki and Aprilia without a customer project, assuming Yamaha finds a replacement.

Like almost all the factory teams, both of KTM's rider contracts (Bradley Smith and Pol Espargaro) are up for renewal at the end of 2018.

Vinales has already re-signed for Yamaha until 2020. Rossi says he intends to race on, but probably won't sign until at least the end of testing.

Today's Tech3-Yamaha statement ended with:

'Tech3 will continue its participation in the MotoGP (and Moto2) World Championship and will announce its plans for 2019 and beyond at a later date.

'Yamaha is in the process of deciding whether they will run a satellite team for 2019 and, if so, what form that collaboration will take.'

Meanwhile, there are even rumours that Tech3 might also switch its Moto2 team to KTM machines in 2019...

Motorbike
    2003 R6 Road bike; 2008 R6 Race bike
    Liked
    154 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beating the arrival of the vr46 team. Better to move now when you have options on the table then forced out in a few years with nowhere to go.
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone."

Motorbike
    cbr250rr
    Liked
    66 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it sounds like KTM is where they're going to go. Tech3 to run a KTM team in moto2? It sounds like a great setup for both KTM and tech3.

Yamaha telling Herve that they would chose a VR46 team over tech3 in MotoGP after they had been working together for 20ish years must've been a real slap in the face.

Be interesting to see who Yamaha works with for the next two year with everyone knowing that once the current agreement for teams is up that Yamaha will be going with a VR46 satellite team.
    Likes Speed Dealer, Prefectionist liked this post

Motorbike
    2003 R6 Road bike; 2008 R6 Race bike
    Liked
    154 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is more Tech3 getting the jump on the situation than yamaha kicking them out.

I don't think they will be getting all the upgrades near the end of 19...
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone."

Likes Speed Dealer, Prefectionist liked this post

Motorbike
    Yamaha XSR900
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeBloke View Post
    I think it is more Tech3 getting the jump on the situation than yamaha kicking them out.

I don't think they will be getting all the upgrades near the end of 19...
    My question is once VR46 becomes the satellite Yamaha team, will they suddenly be provided with one latest factory spec M1 along with a year old bike...like Pramac Ducati? Whereas Tech3 always had two year old bikes.

Rossi using his influence to get preferential treatment.

At least KTM will be supplying Tech3 with the latest factory spec bikes.

Motorbike
    honda CBR1100xx norton commando 850
    Liked
    85 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think VR46 is a merchandising company which is managed and administered independently. Valentino is a share holder, probably the majority share holder, and the race team is a separate entity again. And considering the race team only started in moto3 a few years ago I don't reckon yamaha will be bending over for them.

Motorbike
    Liked
    85 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am actually glad herve is leaving yamaha now that I think about it. For 20 years he has run a fairly successful team with new and young riders and old bikes. Always keeping good sponsors and a clean image. Dealing with Dunlop tires when nobody else had to. Maybe so many riders left because he's a dick, I don't know but I like to think he deserves a good deal somewhere.

Motorbike
    Yamaha XSR900
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonky View Post
    I think VR46 is a merchandising company which is managed and administered independently. Valentino is a share holder, probably the majority share holder, and the race team is a separate entity again. And considering the race team only started in moto3 a few years ago I don't reckon yamaha will be bending over for them.
    Rossi owns the 'The SKY Racing Team by VR46'. And Valentino brings in the $ from sponsors. Graham Jarvis and Yamaha have been completely cuckolded by Rossi who now dictates to them rather than the other way around. It's why Lorenzo was so unhappy and why the M1 is now a piece of shit. So much so that Zarco has chosen to ride 2 year old machinery in 2018.

Vinales is the top line, Rossi is the bottom line, see if you can spot the exact moment Rossi spat the dummy and took the M1 in a direction that completely fucked them even though Vinales was getting good results.

Motorbike
    Liked
    85 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Motogp itself has been cuckolded by this bloke recently. Apparently he even dictates terms to espeleta himself on some things.
    But I still don't think sky racing swing a big stick at this point.