User Tag List

Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15556162636465
Results 1,281 to 1,298 of 1298

Thread: 2018 MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3 discussion (spoilers)

Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    It's not just the riders, you have a teams of mechanics and engineers travelling the world as well, and the sheer logistic nightmare of packing up 2-4 semi trailers (for every team), plus the same again for suspension, tyres, medical and media worth of gear Sunday night to shlep to the next race and have it set up ready to go by Thursday either the same week or in a fortnight's time. The cost of the logistics is staggering on it's own, never mind adding in rapid freight because you need it there in a fortnight.

There is so much more involved than most people realise. Add in testing and development in between every time you get the chance, and you don't just have a rider that's physically fucked, I've seen trackday riders looking like they are on the brink of death after 6 sessions of average pace, let alone someone running a machine at peak. You also start to have spanner monkeys getting fatigued, and these are the guys that you are relying on to ensure all the nuts and bolt are done up tight and lock wired, so that when you get to the end of a 355kph straight and you grab the brake lever you know it's going to work.
    The amazing thing is that there are what, 250 riders on earth that actually earn a good living long term living from racing (<100 in motogp, maybe 70 in WSBK, and another 100 in national championships in which maybe the top 5 don't have to have a full time job or couch surf to get by, and maybe 5 in all of road racing)? All of what you described above and there are another 5000 that would crawl over broken glass to even get a shot at a test. Anyone that thinks a MotoGP rider is a primadonna needs to think of the thousands of other hopefuls that they beat out with a combination of talent, bravery, hard work, and sacrifice. Everyone to ever throw a leg over a motogp bike whether I like them or not from Ago, to Rossi, to Lorenzo, to Scott Redding are legends in my book.
    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest or internet.

Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was also cigarette sponsorship. Wish that came back, the millions of dollars they injected into the sport certainly helped.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    2003 R6 Road bike; 2008 R6 Race bike
    Liked
    154 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait until they ban energy drinks.... Wonder which industry the next lot of main sponsorship will come from...
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone."

Likes ReCon liked this post

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
    The amazing thing is that there are what, 250 riders on earth that actually earn a good living long term living from racing (<100 in motogp, maybe 70 in WSBK, and another 100 in national championships in which maybe the top 5 don't have to have a full time job or couch surf to get by, and maybe 5 in all of road racing)? All of what you described above and there are another 5000 that would crawl over broken glass to even get a shot at a test. Anyone that thinks a MotoGP rider is a primadonna needs to think of the thousands of other hopefuls that they beat out with a combination of talent, bravery, hard work, and sacrifice. Everyone to ever throw a leg over a motogp bike whether I like them or not from Ago, to Rossi, to Lorenzo, to Scott Redding are legends in my book.
    Unless you're Karel Abraham or hafizh syahrin and you buy your way into MotoGP

Motorbike
    CBR 125 Fully Sick Edition, Z1000, XJR13 hunjy. The wife
    Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBloke View Post
    Wait until they ban energy drinks.... Wonder which industry the next lot of main sponsorship will come from...
    The Church? Inkjet printers?

Sporting profitability is primarily based on entertainment. To entertain means to evolve.
    Getting rid of these 'evils' that are not necessarily great for your body will definitely be to the detriment of the sport.

At some point, they will have to tell outside governing bodies to get fucked, or take their business model to 3rd world countries where they will happily take the injection of funds and just as happily let you paste cigarette advertising anywhere you need.
    Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Dealer View Post
    Abraham and Simeon? Didn't think Syahrin bought money to the table? That's not Tech 3's deal - it's for up and coming riders.

Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Economics are a big part of course. If you bring enough backing $ you get to jump the queue but that's the way life is. Hafizh is a serious talent. I assume you're talking about how his participation has brought Petronas money to the paddock? He'll beat Morbidelli to ROTY honors this year and that's pretty damned impressive. He's also huge for Dorna because of the market that it opens them up to. Karel Abraham has stayed in motoGP for years through some pretty average results because of his family's money but you can't deny is doing well this season.

Riding a 260hp MotoGP bike withing even 10 seconds of the pace of frontrunners is amazing. It takes talent, focus, fitness, and bravery that most of us will never have. I don't like certain riders becasue of their personalities, on track actions, or social media wank, but they are all impressive.
    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest or internet.
    Likes Speed Dealer liked this post

Motorbike
    cbr250rr
    Liked
    66 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know everyone gives Karel shit because he has bought his way onto the grid however, he's never embarrassed himself and has beaten riders over the seasons consistently that others would deem more worthy. I think people maybe get to focused on his families money rather than the fact that he is pretty outstanding compared to the other 99.9% of us mortals.

Motorbike
    2 bangers
    Liked
    130 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p4p1 View Post
    I know everyone gives Karel shit because he has bought his way onto the grid however, he's never embarrassed himself and has beaten riders over the seasons consistently that others would deem more worthy. I think people maybe get to focused on his families money rather than the fact that he is pretty outstanding compared to the other 99.9% of us mortals.
    Well, his family owns the Brno Circuit......

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
    Karel Abraham has stayed in motoGP for years through some pretty average results because of his family's money but you can't deny is doing well this season.
    I know he's on a 2 year old Ducati, but I CAN deny he's doing well this season. He's scored points in 2 races.

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Abraham and Simeon? Didn't think Syahrin bought money to the table? That's not Tech 3's deal - it's for up and coming riders.
    Syahrin is backed by the Malaysian Government through Sepang International Circuit. Tech3 got the best of both worlds, it got an up and coming rider and financial backing. When you're running a team on 7 million euros a year (5 million less than Marquez, Rossi and Lorenzo's salaries), you're going to be very open to listening to offers.

Luckily in this case it worked out and Syahrin proved to be a good signing.
    Likes Kristy liked this post

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Syahrin is backed by the Malaysian Government through Sepang International Circuit. Tech3 got the best of both worlds, it got an up and coming rider and financial backing. When you're running a team on 7 million euros a year (5 million less than Marquez, Rossi and Lorenzo's salaries), you're going to be very open to listening to offers.

Luckily in this case it worked out and Syahrin proved to be a good signing.
    Yeah I thought it was a bit of a random pick but yeah, makes sense.

Abraham at least isn't coming last every race. He might have had a chance at a seat without his Dad's money but seems teams are more willing to punt on moto2 riders than they used to be. I could have 100% backing and I'd be getting lapped every 2 laps at least. Simeon however would never have gotten a seat on his own merit (but would still leave me red faced and in his wake).

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Yeah I thought it was a bit of a random pick but yeah, makes sense.

Abraham at least isn't coming last every race. He might have had a chance at a seat without his Dad's money but seems teams are more willing to punt on moto2 riders than they used to be. I could have 100% backing and I'd be getting lapped every 2 laps at least. Simeon however would never have gotten a seat on his own merit (but would still leave me red faced and in his wake).
    I'm glad SIC is taking over Team Angel Neito and bringing real money to the table, just need to get rid of Avintia Ducati now. These rent-a-ride teams are a blight on the grid. It's also highly doubtful if Marc VDS will continue next season after their dramas. And with Morbidelli going to SIC and Luthi back to Moto2 I reckon it's almost certain.

Can't wait for the day Dorna's dream of 6 factory teams with 6 satellite teams (one for each factory) on the grid is realised. It'll mean no more 2 year old Ducati grid fillers.
    Likes Kristy, ReCon liked this post

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crutchlow: Pedrosa wouldn't make good Honda tester

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...59794/?nrt=112

Crutchlow has a point.

Cliff notes:

Pedrosa's riding style is so specific that it wouldn't help the program (eg. Not many riders ride the way Pedrosa does). Crutchlow prefers a more 'neutral' riding style such as Stefan Bradl.

Motorbike
    Yamaha Triples '78 XS750E, '79 XS850SF, '06 ZX12R
    Liked
    183 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes sense..

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been away from work for a week on leave. Left my helmet on site.

Someone has started a war.

There will be blood.

Likes Thomas Peel liked this post

Motorbike
    Doesn't matter, don't ride them anymore anyway.
    Liked
    517 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been away from work for a week on leave. Left my helmet on site.

Someone has started a war.

There will be blood.

Gives you an excuse to give them a kick, yeah?

Motorbike
    Bikeless
    Liked
    20 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats actually quite funny, obviously the person who performed that horrific vandalism knows you well.........