Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazon View Post
    yeah nah.....I blame Howard.

We are getting off topic,

however;

Telstra as a gov't entity was making $2-3 billion profits when I was working there. If things remained this way
    the NBN would have been built by now with a FTTP network. Once the project was finished this would have the
    right time to float it as a public company..
    .. With their resources and knowledge it would have been the most cost effective way.
    I know of a old lady receptionists husband working for telstra, back in the 80s put through a fibre course and telstra could have rolled it out then.

Most stupid thing australia has done was sell off telstra + our other profitable companies/assets offshore, no profits being spent here.
    China will eventually own everything.

Cooking the books for short term profit never looked soo good
    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Motorbike
    2010 repsol cbr1000r
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chew View Post
    So, 31% of enrolled voters said no, does that mean the no won?
    Didn't vote either wife did she voted yes, have a gay cousin university educated was on the abc she wants to marry her indigenous partner came from a Catholic upbringing like myself torn between helping her and my religious faith like many no didn't vote australians.
    Simply decided to not vote and therefore not stand in the way.

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chew View Post
    So, 31% of enrolled voters said no, does that mean the no won?
    No it doesn't it's just that it wasn't the clear cut overwhelming majority voting Yes as was pushed at the start of the campaign by the yes side trying to tell everyone it was
    If we'd listened to them and the media you'd think the no vote would have been les than 5%

Quote Originally Posted by Halo_2 View Post
    I know of a old lady receptionists husband working for telstra, back in the 80s put through a fibre course and telstra could have rolled it out then.
    I think I mentioned it in the NBN thread but the missus's BiL in Adelaide used to work for Telstra high up in their IT side back then and was told to rip out fibre that had been laid in areas of NT/Qld/SA or be out of a job
    They didn't want it showing how bad the rest of the network was
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    No it doesn't it's just that it wasn't the clear cut overwhelming majority voting Yes as was pushed at the start of the campaign by the yes side trying to tell everyone it was
    If we'd listened to them and the media you'd think the no vote would have been les than 5%
    Everything I saw and read indicated a result pretty much as it panned out.

There seems to be an implication that all the non voters would have voted no. I seriously considered not responding because I believe the whole process was a waste of time, resources and pandering to the religious right.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits
    Likes Tim the PM, Skut liked this post

Motorbike
    None for now.
    Liked
    247 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an interesting point. The Government should simply disregard peoples views if they align with religion or culture.

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and back in the wild west... James Joseph Katchan pleaded guilty to viciously bashing gay men after luring them to public places with promises of sex using the dating app grinder.

I thought this shit died in the 80's

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-bashings.html

Motorbike
    2009 Honda CBR600RR
    Liked
    130 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Dealer View Post
    In saying that, the outcome only really matters to gay & lesbian people, regardless of <EDIT: more than the single group you've identified>
    While g&l people have the largest stake in it for sure, to varying degrees it matters to everyone coming into contact with outcomes of any changes made through legislation.
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    "No, no. Not Sawyer like the valley. Sour like sweet and sour, only European"

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer View Post
    While g&l people have the largest stake in it for sure, to varying degrees it matters to everyone coming into contact with outcomes of any changes made through legislation.
    A lot has been said about legislative changes, but what are they?

The marriage act interpretation "between and man and a woman" can be changed to "between 2 people".

Delete 88EA, which was added fairly recently. It is a clause that states that overseas same sex unions are not recognised as marriages.

Add an interpretation that allows the words "husband" and "wife" to be interchangeable. That should address any gender specific language in other legislation.

That's it. Nothing else is needed.

It would be enlightening for the Chicken Littles to back up claims that there will be disastrous legislative repercussions. What are they?
    Try the quiz - http://www.wisdomofchopra.com/quiz.php
    Likes Tim the PM, Skut liked this post

Motorbike
    Honda CBR1000RR
    Liked
    664 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The outcome is that SS couples will be able to marry. How does that affect anyone else?

Motorbike
    2009 Honda CBR600RR
    Liked
    130 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    A lot has been said about legislative changes, but what are they?

The marriage act interpretation "between and man and a woman" can be changed to "between 2 people".

Delete 88EA, which was added fairly recently. It is a clause that states that overseas same sex unions are not recognised as marriages.

Add an interpretation that allows the words "husband" and "wife" to be interchangeable. That should address any gender specific language in other legislation.

That's it. Nothing else is needed.

It would be enlightening for the Chicken Littles to back up claims that there will be disastrous legislative repercussions. What are they?
    Guess we just have to wait and see what changes go through by those in power to make them, should they then vote in support of making them.

Point I was making is the notion any changes only affect a small group isn't necessarily correct.

Motorbike
    2009 Honda CBR600RR
    Liked
    130 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the PM View Post
    The outcome is that SS couples will be able to marry. How does that affect anyone else?
    Well...it's already affected the public to the tune of 122 million dollars, and nothings changed....

Social services, educators, students, legal fraternity, wedding planners, police, people across the nation etc all need to get up to speed on, adjust their attitudes (moreso their reactions as these things come into law) and stay within any rules/guidelines any changes impact upon. I'm sure most community groups already are in the process of doing so, but again the notion it only impacts on a small group is in my opinion simplistic and untrue.

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Guess we just have to wait and see what changes go through by those in power to make them, should they then vote in support of making them.

Point I was making is the notion any changes only affect a small group isn't necessarily correct.
    It only really affects you personally if you want to marry a man, or if a woman you know wants to marry a woman. What are you trying to insinuate with your vague comments ?
    Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.
    Likes Tim the PM liked this post

Motorbike
    Honda CBR1000RR
    Liked
    664 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...it's already affected the public to the tune of 122 million dollars, and nothings changed....

That wasn't spent on changing the law, that could (and should) have been done without any cost (same as it was when changed last time).
    That money was spent trying to appease the same people who continue to obstruct the process.
    Likes Cap'n James086 liked this post

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the PM View Post
    Some one will cry discrimination because a baker wont make their wedding cake or some bullshit but aside from that PR exercise I can see little changing except a boom in the wedding rip off industry.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Nah. What other legislation will be impacted by these simple changes to the Marriage Act?

No one has posted any law that cannot be covered by the changes I've indicated. I'd love to have someone show me some law other than the marriage act that will be negatively impacted by the changes I've outlined.

Of course, you are partly correct. Psycho fundies will attempt to change the world through unnecessary legislative amendments and impose their weird on the rest of us.

Motorbike
    2009 Honda CBR600RR
    Liked
    130 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    It only really affects you personally if you want to marry a man, or if a woman you know wants to marry a woman. What are you trying to insinuate with your vague comments ?
    I'm not insinuating anything, or being vague. I'm saying point blank that any changes around this issue affects everyone coming into contact with it to varying degrees.
    I also gave some examples of groups potentially affected, to provide some context.

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Social services, educators, students, legal fraternity, wedding planners, police, people across the nation etc all need to get up to speed on, adjust their attitudes (moreso their reactions as these things come into law) and stay within any rules/guidelines any changes impact upon. I'm sure most community groups already are in the process of doing so, but again the notion it only impacts on a small group is in my opinion simplistic and untrue.
    Yes, it will affect wedding planners.

Anyone else who needed "attitude adjustment" should have done it years ago and independent of whether two blokes can tie the knot.

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not insinuating anything, or being vague. I'm saying point blank that any changes around this issue affects everyone coming into contact with it to varying degrees.
    I also gave some examples of groups potentially affected, to provide some context.
    You said people need to change their attitudes, but if you discriminate against someone on the basis of sexuality Iím pretty sure thatís covered under the anti-discrimination act. I donít really understand how it affects anyone outside of what I mentioned with two people getting married. Theyíre not saying you have to use SJW pronouns for everyone (which is stupid), it really is as cut and dry as ďshould gay people be allowed to marry yes/noĒ
    Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bloody well affects me!

I will soon have to buy a wedding present for a couple that couldn't previous tie the knot.
    Likes Hazelnutty liked this post

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    You said people need to change their attitudes, but if you discriminate against someone on the basis of sexuality Iím pretty sure thatís covered under the anti-discrimination act....
    The psychos will want the anti discrimination act changed to a discrimination act. Allowing certain (mostly religious) groups to be able to discriminate against others.

Which they've already got in the anti discrimination act. They'll want additional changes to be able to continue to discriminate against the pooves.

The Marriage Act already includes a section allowing the bigots to refuse to marry anyone. A nicely worded clause is that they can conduct marriage ceremonies based on their religious practices. If their religion has a "burn the homos at the stake" clause, they can't be forced to marry them.

We should have never feared the gays. We should be terrified of these ultraconservative lobby groups that have infiltrated the legislature on all sides of politics.