Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a cyclist.

I've never worried about following vehicles as I stick to the left of the road and ride single file.

Single file was beaten into me for safety reasons so I can sympathise with the angryheads and pity the truck drivers.
    Likes Phildo liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the funniest parts of this whole saga is the fact that cyclists are mostly super fit mofo's & would wipe the floor with most cage drivers one on one lol
    Hoonaholics Garage

Motorbike
    2009 Honda CBR600RR
    Liked
    130 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being fit and knowing how to street fight are worlds apart.
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    "No, no. Not Sawyer like the valley. Sour like sweet and sour, only European"
    Likes frenchie, Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    push bike
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    I'm a cyclist.

I've never worried about following vehicles as I stick to the left of the road and ride single file.

Single file was beaten into me for safety reasons so I can sympathise with the angryheads and pity the truck drivers.
    As am I, and i also ride single file and to the left. But i dont ride in the gutter, it usually depends on the width of the lane.

ie, wide lanes like Alexander Dr, ill ride in the left hand wheel track, maybe closer to the left edge of it. On narrower lanes, ie flinders and charles st, ill ride in the left hand wheel track, but closer to the right hand edge, a little closer to the middle of the lane. There simply isnt enough space for a car to pass me safely so i need to make it obvious and leave no ambiguity

I dont filter to the front of the light if its only a handful of cars and i know ill make the green, if its a super long jam (ie charles st) then i usually will and try tuck behind a truck or bus, as they are slow to take off as well.

The above detail may seem boring to the average motorist, but i just wanted to highlight our mindset and that the majority of cyclists are as considerate as they are, they're just trying to get from A to B without being run over.

I commute on main roads as im not close enough to a cycle path. Usual route is Mirrabooka Ave>Flinders>Charles St>Turn off before the freeway entry then into the city. Home is usually Fitzgerald>Alexander Dr>Grand Prom>Dianella Dr>Northwood Ave>Mirrabooka Dr

So probably 99% road bar the path on Northwood (i jump on when the road becomes single lane before the bridge heading nothbound)

Through the course of the week, i might get a handful of uncomfortable passes. Through the course of a year, maybe a handful of really dangerous closes passes. Ive reported a few Transperth Buses, and recently had a tradie nearly take me out in a fucking buslane during peak hour (ie no cars allowed)...unfortunately this happened a week before the laws were in place

But again, its rare, majority of road users are considerate and no have no issues. Its that 1% unfortunately that could put me in serious danger, the same 1% of cyclist that are dickheads on the roads.

The difference is, that 1% dickhead cyclist most likely will not be putting your life at risk.
    Likes SomeBloke liked this post

Motorbike
    Plausible Denial
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    I thought the rule was on a marked cycleway you have to ride in the cycleway?
    If it's not a rule it shoukd be.
    im pretty sure it is ! , her problem starts when other rider moves towards her to give safe distance to the upcoming curb and shrubbery causing her to also move towards the road, riding straddling a white line having a chat shes not really paying attention to what shes doing or her surroundings or road position

why anyone on a bike wants to ride anywhere that trucks go regularly at high speed has got me fucked, only one person is goin to lose out of that, gopro movies arent going to fuse your spinal cord back together

Quote Originally Posted by Hillz View Post
    i think the funniest parts of this whole saga is the fact that cyclists are mostly super fit mofo's & would wipe the floor with most cage drivers one on one lol
    indeed, ive spent lots of time cycling and in groups of road cyclists, i was in a group where a couple of the sprinters went to the back of the group and tried to drag a truck driver out of a kenworth window. dont fuck with sprinters they can turn their aggression on and off and tap into it for an extended time, plus i think they are just angry people to start with!
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Motorbike
    Honda CBR 1000 RR. CBR 600 RR track
    Liked
    695 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "And on their gravestone it was written: they were legally right!"

"I am entitled to this!" Yep, but now you're dead. "I was right!" Yep, still, now you're dead. It doesn't matter how loud you complain, in the end there are wankers on all sides of the story. But do you really have to have your chat during your ride? Why not chat at the coffee shop and concentrate on what's happening around you on the road? We all complain about cagers using their mobile while driving, chatting and riding your pushy is just as distracting...
    SP RACINGis supported by:
    MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
    Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
    Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au
    Likes Heretic, GreenMeanie liked this post

Motorbike
    2015 MT07 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get some bluetooth headsets

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaseyjase View Post
    [...]

I commute on main roads as im not close enough to a cycle path. Usual route is Mirrabooka Ave>Flinders>Charles St>Turn off before the freeway entry then into the city. Home is usually Fitzgerald>Alexander Dr>Grand Prom>Dianella Dr>Northwood Ave>Mirrabooka Dr
    That's a tough hazardous route. That whole area definitely needs better cycleways.

Millions spent in some suburbs that are primarily safe recreational areas and little spent in places where the cycle commuter is at the most risk.

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yer cause the last 100 or so years we have been building around cars. Last time I checked the government is broke. The lieberal government doesnít like spending money on the public and if it does itís half assed.

We could have built train lines going everywhere, cycle paths and high rise buildings around places of employment/along the train line but we didnít.
    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Motorbike
    push bike
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought id share an interaction with a fellow moto on the way home yesterday arvo at about 4.45

In the buslane at the lights on Fitzgerald, at the Walcott intersection when its about to become Alexander Dr. A Harley pulls up next to me, we both have a vent on all the dickheads who drive in the buslane during peak hour, he tells me he also rides a bicycle at times. I complement his Harley, guessing correctly the make and model ('07 Night Train, im a fan) We have a bit more a chat and then lights go green, smiles all around.

If your PSBer, gday!

Motorbike
    2003 R6 Road bike; 2008 R6 Race bike
    Liked
    154 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interaction with about 10 or so cyclists riding on roads on the way to work this morning.

No issues to report.

Did have 2 different cars though cut people off and saw a good number of drivers on their mobiles.
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone."

Likes Shady7/8 liked this post

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the new Cyclists rules are so sensible, why then are cyclists banned from using freeways?
    Vehicles do not have to cross into on coming traffic lanes.
    Considering our freeway system is speed limited to 100kph and our open road limit is 110kph, and every ĎKí over is a killer.

How about a sane explanation?

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cause a accident at 100 kills but at 80 or less because the speed has been reduced they wonít magically die

I guess some numpty reckons you have more time to react aswell.... to bad people arenít paying attention cause the speed is so low.
    Last edited by Halo_2; 12-01-2018 at 09:50 AM.
    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Motorbike
    Liked
    154 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    If the new Cyclists rules are so sensible, why then are cyclists banned from using freeways?
    Considering our freeway system is speed limited to 100kph and our open road limit is 110kph, and every ĎKí over is a killer.

Because there is a suitable alternative i.e. the PSP running the entire length with under/overpasses etc.

In many places riding on the road affords right of way at intersections meaning cyclists can ride without stopping at a t-junction, where on a footpath the turning vehicle has right of way.
    An example here is along Beeliar drive heading west. I've began riding on the road (cycle lane) rather than the footpath as it means I can ride the 1.5km without stopping rather than stopping 4 times and dealing with the crappy kerbs, footpaths and cars blocking the path. I have been speaking with the council about adding footpath behind the buildings so there is a continuous loop of the lake so I don't have to go on the road, but at this stage, riding on the road along that section is the better thing for me for the below reasons;
    -no people walking dogs
    -no people walking with headphones, unaware of others using the path. they can't hear a bell and if they do they usually jump into my path
    -no stopping and waiting, I can ride a distance, for fitness, without having to continuously stop.
    -less overgrown trees on the path
    -drivers can see me.
    -much better riding surface, with no kerbs etc.

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeBloke View Post
    Because there is a suitable alternative i.e. the PSP running the entire length with under/overpasses etc.

In many places riding on the road affords right of way at intersections meaning cyclists can ride without stopping at a t-junction, where on a footpath the turning vehicle has right of way.
    An example here is along Beeliar drive heading west. I've began riding on the road (cycle lane) rather than the footpath as it means I can ride the 1.5km without stopping rather than stopping 4 times and dealing with the crappy kerbs, footpaths and cars blocking the path. I have been speaking with the council about adding footpath behind the buildings so there is a continuous loop of the lake so I don't have to go on the road, but at this stage, riding on the road along that section is the better thing for me for the below reasons;
    -no people walking dogs
    -no people walking with headphones, unaware of others using the path. they can't hear a bell and if they do they usually jump into my path
    -no stopping and waiting, I can ride a distance, for fitness, without having to continuously stop.
    -less overgrown trees on the path
    -drivers can see me.
    -much better riding surface, with no kerbs etc.
    Why arenít they allowed on the Freeway?
    They donít cause congestion or any danger.

So you use the above route so you donít have to stop or slow down for shit that is your way?

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post

Because the freeway has a minimum speed.

Not many can maintain their pushie speed at 80kmh.

You are a professional driver, right?

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/medi...eSafeFullC.pdf
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Motorbike
    Liked
    154 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They aren't allowed on the freeway as a suitable alternative exists (PSP) and the freeway was designed specifically for smooth, high speed traffic flows without cyclists/pedestrians (who were accommodated for via the PSP)

That is one of the reasons yep, where alternatives exist most would use those. In this situation, I am using the cycle lane so I'm not holding anyone up and can still ride without stops, where I can I jump back onto paths.

When does a driver have to stop for a cyclist? Is slowing down for a moment to safely pass a slower vehicle/cyclist really the end of you world?

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ no it isn't but if you have to do it several times and past the same ones time and time again it gets frustrating. If, some, cyclists followed the rules as much as they expect others to do then there would be less of a problem.
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Motorbike
    Liked
    154 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How often do you actually come across a cyclist breaking the rules, let alone multiple times in the same drive?

I would say it is pretty rare.

That said, I do think that cyclists should not be on some roads. for example, Stirling hwy between freo and the city is narrow and not really suitable in the slightest, I typically only come across a rider or two once a month, hardly a common occurrence. Some roads should be off limits (i.e narrow arterial roads) but those same roads need viable alternatives where cycle lanes aren't possible.

I think people way overestimate the proportion of cyclists actually breaking rules...

Motorbike
    push bike
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BusaSteve View Post
    ^ no it isn't but if you have to do it several times and past the same ones time and time again it gets frustrating.
    Are you reporting an interaction Steve where a cyclist has done so to you? Where did this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by BusaSteve View Post
    If, some, people followed the rules as much as they expect others to do then there would be less of a problem.
    completely agree