User Tag List

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Change to R Class licensing - 1st July 2018

llbuono
    Quote Originally Posted by Corona 122 View Post
    Nah definitely much much more they can do. Sooner or later someone will crack a non fork front suspension that is better, lighter and cheeper.

Weight reduction will never max out. Look at the silly light weight of some race bikes. Its just a matter of finding materials and work methods to keep it cheep enough. Take the easy 1-2kg per model update so the next update is easy.

Won't be long before electric really is a serious of the shelf option. Saw a new electric motor for one of the top end race teams a couple of weeks ago. 25kg and I think it was 200hp. As soon as the batteries are there that'll make a huge difference.
    As much as i think electric is the future the problem is battery weight, i don't think i would like to ride a silent bike either, the best thing with electric is the huge amount of torque that a internal combustion motor of the same hp cant match, as to losing 1 to 2 kg a year this years suzuki gsxr1000 has actually got heavier and material science costs money and most alloys are already known to man.

The other point is how light would you go on a bike with 200 hp and still feel safe on it.

Motorbike
    GSX1400
    Liked
    746 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llbuono View Post
    As much as i think electric is the future the problem is battery weight, i don't think i would like to ride a silent bike either, the best thing with electric is the huge amount of torque that a internal combustion motor of the same hp cant match, as to losing 1 to 2 kg a year this years suzuki gsxr1000 has actually got heavier and material science costs money and most alloys are already known to man.

The other point is how light would you go on a bike with 200 hp and still feel safe on it.
    So your saying you donít think bikes should get much lighter and batteries will never get light enough?

For a purely comfortable street bike I agree some weight improves ride quality but a nupty with track bike can suck it up on the road.

You have absolutely no idea if you think the weight of batteries wonít reduce significantly in the next ten years.
    The Bend

Hurry Up!!!

llbuono
    Quote Originally Posted by Corona 122 View Post
    So your saying you donít think bikes should get much lighter and batteries will never get light enough?

For a purely comfortable street bike I agree some weight improves ride quality but a nupty with track bike can suck it up on the road.

You have absolutely no idea if you think the weight of batteries wonít reduce significantly in the next ten years.
    I think your right they will solve the battery endurance/weight problems and probably in less than ten years when you read up on them.
    We hired a hybrid car a few times and the batteries are already fairly compact and when we were in Melbourne we had a look at the tesla car's.
    I think the bikes are already at a good weight for me at 115 kg but for smaller guy's they could be lighter but the way i see it we all have to fit on them and most people want sportsbikes.

Motorbike
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneville View Post
    Yes it is finally happening, still trying to source the DOT Official documentation, but for now ...

From July 1st 2018, people who have had their RE license for more than 24 months will be automatically upgraded to the R. This means if you have done your RE license less than 24 months you will have to wait.

The rules donít change till the July 1st so anyone that has had your license for over 12 months or would have it for 12 months before July 1st, you can upgrade your license and avoiding waiting an extra 12 months.

So unless you want to have to wait the full 24 months, or part thereof, GO DO YOUR R TEST NOW
    Any update on the official documentation yet? I was told this by a dealer recently and am wondering if Iím still living in W.A. 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes CbrRider81 liked this post

Liked
    33 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llbuono View Post
    I feel you are right victoria already has the same idea and while my young bloke was over there he turned his wa l lams or whatever they call it now to a unlimited license ,no test so from a kymco 250 cruiser type bike with 5000 kays on it to a 1000cc sp1 honda with only just over a years experience he has had a couple of falls and should have got some training for sure i didn't teach him at all because we were against him getting a motorcycle.

This law will see the return of the temporary australian a well known 70's term for motorcyclist's.
    I'm somewhat curious as to how an E-stop, some O turns and general riding test is going to stop that? The test is a joke. It isn't "can you ride", it is "can you follow the road rules". It is a little bit more leaned towards rider safety and looking after yourself (head checks, situational awareness), but in general.. it doesn't teach you how to wrap the throttle without killing yourself. Test or not, you work that one out yourself.
    Dislikes CbrRider81 disliked this post

llbuono
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh93 View Post
    I'm somewhat curious as to how an E-stop, some O turns and general riding test is going to stop that? The test is a joke. It isn't "can you ride", it is "can you follow the road rules". It is a little bit more leaned towards rider safety and looking after yourself (head checks, situational awareness), but in general.. it doesn't teach you how to wrap the throttle without killing yourself. Test or not, you work that one out yourself.
    I am not agreeing or disagreeing on this one anymore i don't have the answers and i am sure very few do, guy's like turboR1/green meanie have some good idea's i got my licence when there was the k class unlimited as soon as i left school and i remember what happened in the 70's and they had to do something to save people from themselves, maybe we should just go back to the k class at 17 years old and go back to a 0.08 limit on drink driving and just see what happens, i think it will broaden your horizons.

Motorbike
    Twin
    Liked
    122 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my "blacks" in NSW.
    Likes N/A liked this post

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pnork View Post
    I got my "blacks" in NSW.
    Redfern
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    94 cbr1000f
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone heard anything more on this subject?

Motorbike
    2018 MT10 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no..''..

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nup...."....
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Negative Will Robinson

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor

llbuono
    Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    Negative Will Robinson
    I have heard that it is going ahead inline with the other states, if you feel you are ready and have made and honest assessment of your ability not what you would like it to be then go ahead and buy that 100 hp plus bike, don't be pressured into it most people on here from what i have read made their way up through the ranks including myself.

Motorbike
    Honda GB400 TT
    Liked
    47 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When this does kick in I can see a huge glut of LAMS class bikes selling cheap and a spike in R class bike prices/sales
    Likes CbrRider81 liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crispymk2 View Post
    When this does kick in I can see a huge glut of LAMS class bikes selling cheap and a spike in R class bike prices/sales
    I don't believe it's even been confirmed that it IS going to happen let alone confirming a start date I don't know why there should necessarily be a big drop in LAMS bikes given all new riders will need to have a LAMS bike and have it for longer before being eligible for an upgrade to R class

In all honesty I don't see it will be an advantage to that many people, how many riders have had their RE for longer than 24 months and not upgraded to R class?

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What country are you from...where there is a thriving economy...?
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    Honda GB400 TT
    Liked
    47 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all honesty I don't see it will be an advantage to that many people, how many riders have had their RE for longer than 24 months and not upgraded to R class?
    I am in that group and I have spoken with quite a few others who are very interested in the (potential) new laws. Due to time/laziness I never upgraded

Quote Originally Posted by GsxInShed View Post
    What country are you from...where there is a thriving economy...?
    Same thing happened to 250cc bikes when LAMS was introduced. If people can ride bigger bikes they will want bigger bikes. If a decent chunk of people try to sell their LAMS bikes around the same time then prices will drop. Simples
    Likes olrence liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in that group and I have spoken with quite a few others who are very interested in the (potential) new laws. Due to time/laziness I never upgraded

Same thing happened to 250cc bikes when LAMS was introduced. If people can ride bigger bikes they will want bigger bikes. If a decent chunk of people try to sell their LAMS bikes around the same time then prices will drop. Simples
    I wouldn't have thought there would be that many riders that hadn't upgraded already but if you reckon there are lots then maybe it may help them
    Still don't see it dropping prices that much though given that while some people may want a bigger bike the ones that have already gotten a bigger LAMS bike may not see it as an imperative to spend even more money on an even bigger bike

Yes 250cc bikes have dropped in price but that's not just because people wanted bigger bikes, it will be a combination of factors ie the bikes are older models so devalue anyway, people want the latest and flashest bikes etc

Also because all new riders will now have to stay on RE for longer the demand may actually be higher and push prices up

Liked
    739 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't have thought there would be that many riders that hadn't upgraded already but if you reckon there are lots then maybe it may help them
    There are 4 people in my family that will benefit from this. More in the mature and/or female category of riders, being those who are just happy to be riding and not all that fussed about doing another license just to rider a bigger bike, but if they can then great.

Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any more info on this? I just saw this thread and am interested