An invisible one
    Liked
    278 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=ali44616;3380270]I appreciate all the advice so far. Just had my first lesson this week, and whilst i did the basics..i think im in love. It wasn't too warm of a day, but when we were riding, the breeze was beautiful, the roads were clearer. Theres alot you don't see when you're in a cage(i mean car lol). I'm in no rush but i just have couple of more questions if y'all wouldn't mind helping me out.

1. I do realise that everyone learns differently, but approx how many lessons does it take to be able to atleast pass the test?(I realise safety is important, so for my first 5-10lessons, im booking a professional instructor to get the basics down and the rest..i've got a few friends that ride). I have been told the average is 6-8 from memory, but everyones different. Personally I would do 3-4 lessons, then spend some time with your friends/shadows on extended rides through different roads and environments, and also Sandras LNRs. and then before your test get another 2-3 in to tidy things up.
    2. I hope to do my test by the time uni starts(early march), is that too hopeful? That all depends on you but you getting the actual PDA booking is the hardest part, start trying now. The DoT website releases available spots around 10 am Tues and Thursdays so get on and try and book. Don't be alarmed if there is nothing available for months and keep looking for earlier times as spots do come up.
    3. I'm well on my way to saving up roughly 4-5k, is that enough for decent gear and a good begginner bike?[/QUOTE] Way more than enough for a first bike and good gear. You will be spoilt for choice on both with that budget. There is a 2012 Ninja 250 in the for sale section for $1400 which would be perfect, but there are also much better bikes around for not much more nowadays with the LAMS change and the hole in the economy making people sell their toys.
    Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Motorbike
    Ninja 250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Geeman;3380346]
    Quote Originally Posted by ali44616 View Post
    I appreciate all the advice so far. Just had my first lesson this week, and whilst i did the basics..i think im in love. It wasn't too warm of a day, but when we were riding, the breeze was beautiful, the roads were clearer. Theres alot you don't see when you're in a cage(i mean car lol). I'm in no rush but i just have couple of more questions if y'all wouldn't mind helping me out.

1. I do realise that everyone learns differently, but approx how many lessons does it take to be able to atleast pass the test?(I realise safety is important, so for my first 5-10lessons, im booking a professional instructor to get the basics down and the rest..i've got a few friends that ride). I have been told the average is 6-8 from memory, but everyones different. Personally I would do 3-4 lessons, then spend some time with your friends/shadows on extended rides through different roads and environments, and also Sandras LNRs. and then before your test get another 2-3 in to tidy things up.
    2. I hope to do my test by the time uni starts(early march), is that too hopeful? That all depends on you but you getting the actual PDA booking is the hardest part, start trying now. The DoT website releases available spots around 10 am Tues and Thursdays so get on and try and book. Don't be alarmed if there is nothing available for months and keep looking for earlier times as spots do come up.
    3. I'm well on my way to saving up roughly 4-5k, is that enough for decent gear and a good begginner bike?[/QUOTE] Way more than enough for a first bike and good gear. You will be spoilt for choice on both with that budget. There is a 2012 Ninja 250 in the for sale section for $1400 which would be perfect, but there are also much better bikes around for not much more nowadays with the LAMS change and the hole in the economy making people sell their toys.
    That's awesome to hear. Can't wait to be out on the road. Im going to start looking for gear soon. Any recommendations for stores or brands in particular? would prefer those SOR.

Motorbike
    ZX10R
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. I do realise that everyone learns differently, but approx how many lessons does it take to be able to atleast pass the test?(I realise safety is important, so for my first 5-10lessons, im booking a professional instructor to get the basics down and the rest..i've got a few friends that ride)

This is super variable dependent on the person as you said. I remember I took around 10 lessons or so with a couple of rides on my own bike. That took me from knowing basically nothing other than the twisty thing on the right makes it go fast to passing a test.

2. I hope to do my test by the time uni starts(early march), is that too hopeful?

You have about 6 weeks then, definitely doable. Maybe try to a couple of lessons in a week. As mentioned try book the test now for February or March.

3. I'm well on my way to saving up roughly 4-5k, is that enough for decent gear and a good begginner bike?

Absolutely. Get a well known common LAMS bike second hand for a good price then spend the rest on gear.
    Likes SinRose liked this post

Motorbike
    Ninja 250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Known View Post
    1. I do realise that everyone learns differently, but approx how many lessons does it take to be able to atleast pass the test?(I realise safety is important, so for my first 5-10lessons, im booking a professional instructor to get the basics down and the rest..i've got a few friends that ride)

This is super variable dependent on the person as you said. I remember I took around 10 lessons or so with a couple of rides on my own bike. That took me from knowing basically nothing other than the twisty thing on the right makes it go fast to passing a test.

2. I hope to do my test by the time uni starts(early march), is that too hopeful?

You have about 6 weeks then, definitely doable. Maybe try to a couple of lessons in a week. As mentioned try book the test now for February or March.

3. I'm well on my way to saving up roughly 4-5k, is that enough for decent gear and a good begginner bike?

Absolutely. Get a well known common LAMS bike second hand for a good price then spend the rest on gear.
    Legend. Thanks for all y'all advice and tips. Hopefully i'll see y'all on the road soon enough!

Motorbike
    2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Special Edition, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14 (Drag Spec'd)
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing too much to add, most of the guys above have given all the info you need.

Just to bring your spirits and hopes up, one of my mates decided he wanted his bike license.
    He'd never ridden a motorbike, but had cash and bought one - I road it home for him.
    I told him to go out the front and just practice with his feet on the ground, stopping and starting, feeling out the clutch, and once comfortable, to start cruising his quiet suburban street in first gear.
    He started getting comfortable reeaaal fast, so we ended up riding together daily with me shadowing and giving him tips.

Long story short, he went from having never ridden a motorbike, to having passed his test 2 weeks later.
    It can certainly be done if you have the dedication and support around you!
    Likes CbrRider81 liked this post

Motorbike
    Ninja 250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eid0rb View Post
    Nothing too much to add, most of the guys above have given all the info you need.

Just to bring your spirits and hopes up, one of my mates decided he wanted his bike license.
    He'd never ridden a motorbike, but had cash and bought one - I road it home for him.
    I told him to go out the front and just practice with his feet on the ground, stopping and starting, feeling out the clutch, and once comfortable, to start cruising his quiet suburban street in first gear.
    He started getting comfortable reeaaal fast, so we ended up riding together daily with me shadowing and giving him tips.

Long story short, he went from having never ridden a motorbike, to having passed his test 2 weeks later.
    It can certainly be done if you have the dedication and support around you!
    Thanks bro, that's quite inspiring! and you're definately a good friend!