Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey!

Hey guys. Im just a uni student who's on summer break and what's better than starting a hobby during this long (and boring) 'holiday'. I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a couple things. Im interested in getting my motorcycle licence. I've been interested in getting into riding for years but nothing seemed feasible until now. I finally plan on doing my learners test this monday! I just wanted you guys to sum up what i need to do from then onwards, any instructors you would reccommend,any begginer bikes, gear suggestions. Also i used to watch a motovlogger called LeadPin, he got me really into motorcycles aswell. Any idea what happened to the fella? Seemed like a nice and chill dude hope everything is going well for home. But yeah any suggestions, tips, advice for a newbie is appreciated.
    Likes BillyBoof liked this post

Liked
    5 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, welcome to PSB.

Recommend getting a cheap second hand LAMS compliant bike as your first ride, don't be afraid to drop it and make mistakes on it. We all do it.

Check out the LNR rides (look in "In the loop" section) and come meet the crew. Sandra is an inspiration.

LeadPin got hacked real bad, trolled on YouTube, copped a flogging here and moved on to other activities as far as I know. I came to PSB after he'd bailed but picked up on the echos of it from the forum and other Aussie vloggers that talked about him. I liked his vids to be honest and also watched allot of vloggers before getting my first bike, it's a good insight to start from. But now....example - check out YammyNoob for what not to do haha.

PSB has a wealth of knowledge here, both from the members and the epic history from years gone by.

Motorbike
    Ninja 250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBoof View Post
    Hey, welcome to PSB.

Recommend getting a cheap second hand LAMS compliant bike as your first ride, don't be afraid to drop it and make mistakes on it. We all do it.

Check out the LNR rides (look in "In the loop" section) and come meet the crew. Sandra is an inspiration.

LeadPin got hacked real bad, trolled on YouTube, copped a flogging here and moved on to other activities as far as I know. I came to PSB after he'd bailed but picked up on the echos of it from the forum and other Aussie vloggers that talked about him. I liked his vids to be honest and also watched allot of vloggers before getting my first bike, it's a good insight to start from. But now....example - check out YammyNoob for what not to do haha.

PSB has a wealth of knowledge here, both from the members and the epic history from years gone by.
    Yeah nah i plan on riding safely.I appreciate the response! Would you really recommend i get a motorcycle before getting my licence? I mean i don't have a person to teach me or are instructors cheaper when you have your own motorcycle?

Liked
    5 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride the instructors bikes until you've got ontop of coordination of the controls.

Regarding getting your own it really depends on budget, for naked bikes can't go wrong with a Honda vtr250 if you want something under $3k. Yamaha mt07 if you have a bit more cash. Supersports on a budget Kawasaki ninja 250 or 300, Yamaha R3 if you have a bit more dosh. Cruisers, hmmm do them later if you want.

Get some lessons first, then shout out for shadows here at PSB (experienced riders you can ride with) and be prepared to cover thier fuel and a maybe a coffee/or some food. Once confident to ride in a group at night then join in on the learner rides that Sandra runs. Your shadow can vouch for you and bring you along early so you get a feel for it and meet the crew.

Hope that helps give some insight.

Motorbike
    Ninja 250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legend! Thank you!

Liked
    5 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No worries

Liked
    5 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This guy is quite good, check out his vids https://youtu.be/pkrXyoCS3Uk
    Likes ali44616 liked this post

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There's a learner ride on Thursday you could drive to, introduce yourself at, and then have a chat with young people (like me) who were in your position a few years ago, or old people (like BillyBoof) who still ride bikes.. if you want an insider perspective. I'm also a uni student, and being able to park my bike next to uni has been a huge advantage for me
    Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.
    Likes BillyBoof, Gim, Heretic liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX10R
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome along

In regards to your question about the order of doing things, go get your learners permit, book yourself a few lessons (there are plenty of recommendations in regards to this https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...splay.php?f=37 ) and see if you enjoy riding. After a few lessons you should have a pretty good idea as to whether riding is something you want to do, some people love the idea of riding but once they are on that bike they don't enjoy it as much as they thought they would. Once you start getting into it begin to browse gumtree, PSB, facebook buy/sell groups for bikes you might like. LAMS has spoilt new riders with choice so you should definitely find something you like. I completely agree with BillyBoof to get something cheap to begin with. You will more than likely drop it so a few pre loved marks certainly isn't a bad idea. As to whether to buy before/after the license, many people have done either way just be sure to have a shadow if you are riding as you don't want to be caught riding without a license.

As for gear plenty of good shops around. Cully's Yamaha is a forum sponsor and have a great reputation. Otherwise any dealer will have enough stock to get you the basics and up and running.

Final point, motovloggers don't have a great reputation on here. A lot of them are viewed as noobs riding around thinking their hot shit talking like a pro yet riding like a noob. Don't know anything about LeadPin.
    Likes Graelin, BillyBoof liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Known View Post

Final point, motovloggers don't have a great reputation on here. A lot of them are viewed as noobs riding around thinking their hot shit talking like a pro yet riding like a noob. Don't know anything about LeadPin.
    Well you obviously do, because you just described him perfectly..
    Rest in Peace

A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome!

Definitely as said above. Try with an instructor, get your skill level up and go on learner rides.

When you decide to get a bike, one that does not have full body fairings is a good start. Bikes like later VTR250's and trail bikes generally fall over without too much damage.

You may not crash but even a stationary drop can be expensive on some bikes.

Vfloggers? well I guess it's about time to link this vid again I was a big fan of mario64. Not afraid to publicly ridicule himself.

Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.
    Likes BillyBoof, Speed Dealer liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't buy a new bike for your first bike. Whatever you buy you're going to drop it. Crash knobs never go astray if you're worried about it.

Thousands of riders before you have bought their first bike and said "This bike has plenty of power for me, I'll be keeping it for years". You won't. The minute you test ride an R class bike, you'll want to upgrade.

Don't think you're hot shit just because you're suddenly cruising around on a Ninja 250. A bit of humility will ingratiate you to the riding community. Cockiness will see you shunned.

Don't upload GoPro videos of you commuting or crashing to YouTube. No one cares and we aren't interested in 'learning from your mistakes' because we've all made them ourselves.

A trackday or advanced rider training is worth doing to improve your riding skills.

Give wearing earplugs a go when you first start riding, it'll save your hearing over the course of your life.

Some of the most fun I've ever had on a bike was camping and touring. It's a cheap way to travel. Give it a go (or don't, up to you )

Buy a helmet brand new, but look for riding gear like jackets, kevlar jeans and boots on Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace etc. Better to get decent second hand gear than cheap brand new gear.

There's no quicker way to be identified as a noob than an ill fitting dri-rider jacket.
    Likes BillyBoof, Thomas Peel liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX10R
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    Well you obviously do, because you just described him perfectly..
    I was thinking of Yammie when I wrote the comment out... Kind proves the point that the description fits a lot of them.

Motorbike
    Kawasaki Ninja
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard.
    Not a lot to be said that hasnít been said above. Donít buy new first up... Ride your instructors bike to learn the basics before getting your own , and donít bother y the same bike you learn on (ie, donít buy the same bike as your instructor has you ride). Youíll get bored with it really quickly.
    This place is a great place to source info and is full or experience from new to old, very old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Motorbike
    Ninja 250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a learner ride on Thursday you could drive to, introduce yourself at, and then have a chat with young people (like me) who were in your position a few years ago, or old people (like BillyBoof) who still ride bikes.. if you want an insider perspective. I'm also a uni student, and being able to park my bike next to uni has been a huge advantage for me
    That sounds good actually. Location/time bro?

Thanks for all the responses guys, officially got my learners permit.Im going to book an instructor asap!

Motorbike
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ali44616 View Post
    That sounds good actually. Location/time bro?

Thanks for all the responses guys, officially got my learners permit.Im going to book an instructor asap!
    18:15 at the BP on Abernathy Road in High Wycombe, I wont be there but there's usually some young faces if you want a contemporary perspective. I'll probably be there next week though. They're mostly a friendly bunch, and if you're super excited about riding it's good to get opinions from actual riders in your learning phase. All the best with your lessons
    Rest in Peace

Motorbike
    Twin
    Liked
    122 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

old people (like BillyBoof) who still ride bikes..
    Not for much longer...
    Quote Originally Posted by llbuono
    This is my last post on psb good bye
    Quote Originally Posted by llbuono
    i am gone from psb forever

Motorbike
    '17 Yamaha MT-09
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pnork View Post
    Not for much longer...

Welcome, as said above take it easy to begin with, use an instructors bike before deciding if you definitely want to ride
    Then keep your eyes and ears open and be aware on the roads as most cagers wont be looking for you

Take your time deciding on what bike to get but as above don't bother with new unless you are sure you aren't going to upgrade for a long time and have shit loads of money

Get some gear as protection, even cheap gear is better than nothing
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    Ninja 250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate all the advice so far. Just had my first lesson this week, and whilst i did the basics..i think im in love. It wasn't too warm of a day, but when we were riding, the breeze was beautiful, the roads were clearer. Theres alot you don't see when you're in a cage(i mean car lol). I'm in no rush but i just have couple of more questions if y'all wouldn't mind helping me out.

1. I do realise that everyone learns differently, but approx how many lessons does it take to be able to atleast pass the test?(I realise safety is important, so for my first 5-10lessons, im booking a professional instructor to get the basics down and the rest..i've got a few friends that ride)
    2. I hope to do my test by the time uni starts(early march), is that too hopeful?
    3. I'm well on my way to saving up roughly 4-5k, is that enough for decent gear and a good begginner bike?