User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One year jail for dangerous driving resulting in death (Heathridge Crash)

Motorbike
    250 TARD
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One year jail for dangerous driving resulting in death (Heathridge Crash)

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least it is something like it should be. But as we know he won’t do 12 months.
    Doesn’t change the facts we are still a motorcyclist less.
    Very little compensation for his Buddies and family.

Motorbike
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cameron was our next door neighbour's best friend and constantly around. Great young bloke who lived in the area and his death really had an impact on the community in Connolly because so many knew him. My mum had heard about the crash as it was about 500m away from our house and when I told her it was Cameron she started crying.

One year? What do you do?

He is unlikely to re-offend.
    Has no prior criminal record
    The negative impact him going to jail will have on his children needs to be taken into account.
    He wasn't under the influence of drugs or alcohol or playing on his phone.
    He wasn't driving like a fuck head.

He's made a mistake that has ended in tragedy. No amount of punishment will compensate Cameron's family and friends for their loss.

There's no excusing what he did but are you honestly telling me you've never driven home from work/a holiday/a long day in the sun when you've been tired and probably shouldn't have been behind the wheel? Like fuck you haven't.

One year, whilst might sounding like a light punishment, still sends a message that people need to consider the consequences of their actions. I fail to see what locking him up longer will do?
    Likes -JC-, Graelin, Morgs, =Maz=, Racer and 9 others liked this post

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Dealer View Post
    Cameron was our next door neighbour's best friend and constantly around. Great young bloke who lived in the area and his death really had an impact on the community in Connolly because so many knew him. My mum had heard about the crash as it was about 500m away from our house and when I told her it was Cameron she started crying.

The negative impact him going to jail will have on his children needs to be taken into account.

He's made a mistake that has ended in tragedy. No amount of punishment will compensate Cameron's family and friends for their loss.

There's no excusing what he did but are you honestly telling me you've never driven home from work/a holiday/a long day in the sun when you've been tired and probably shouldn't have been behind the wheel? Like fuck you haven't.

One year, whilst might sounding like a light punishment, still sends a message that people need to consider the consequences of their actions. I fail to see what locking him up longer will do?
    This is the most intelligent post I've read on this or any other forum,
    Likes Graelin, Speed Dealer, Thomas Peel, Tron liked this post

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There lies the problem.
    They call him a Professional Driver. If he can do that he ain’t Professional.
    Since reading your FB status is illegal these days, fatique as an excuse became very popular.
    Now it is being punished as it should there will be another favourite appear.
    One day, “Can’t drive for shit” will also be punishable.
    Last week. The Tradie on the railway track.
    That is fine. Because he is a hard worker. No one other than Tradies work hard right?
    Likes Crim, henrys liked this post

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    Last week. The Tradie on the railway track.
    That is fine. Because he is a hard worker. No one other than Tradies work hard right?
    His only had 3 days off in 6 months but couldn't afford insurance, yer right

Most trades out there cant find work.....
    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Motorbike
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They call him a Professional Driver. If he can do that he ain’t Professional.
    Don't be naive. I've had road train drivers rock up to the mine site gate barely able to walk in a straight line they're so tired and attempt to get back on the road to Perth or Port Hedland (we stopped them and got them a room for the night in camp). They're professional drivers. A bloody taxi driver is a professional driver and they're some of the worst on the road. I've had a taxi driver fall asleep on Great Eastern Hwy whilst driving me to the airport.

Being a professional driver has nothing to do with it. Being a fallible human does.

Side note: I forgot to mention in my original post. Our next door neighbour was getting married and Cameron was due to be their best man. Unfortunately he died in this crash a month before the wedding.
    Likes llbuono, FJ Steve, crimsondawn liked this post

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be naive. I've had road train drivers rock up to the mine site gate barely able to walk in a straight line they're so tired and attempt to get back on the road to Perth or Port Hedland (we stopped them and got them a room for the night in camp). They're professional drivers. A bloody taxi driver is a professional driver and they're some of the worst on the road. I've had a taxi driver fall asleep on Great Eastern Hwy whilst driving me to the airport.

Being a professional driver has nothing to do with it. Being a fallible human does.

Side note: I forgot to mention in my original post. Our next door neighbour was getting married and Cameron was due to be their best man. Unfortunately he died in this crash a month before the wedding.
    Naive? Really.

Being naive is why your friend is not going to be a ‘Best Man’.
    That is reality.

It seems to me people are frightened to make an issue of such ‘normal’ behaviour, drink Driving is another to add to the list because they know they themselves are as guilty of it as the next person.
    So after all is said and done, “It was an accident. It could happen to anyone.”
    Makes it acceptable?
    Likes llbuono liked this post

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, a big thumbs up for your efforts in finding them a room.
    That wins you ‘Brownie Points’ as far as I’m concerned.
    It would be nice if that was the ‘common’ practce.

Motorbike
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me people are frightened to make an issue of such ‘normal’ behaviour.
    You're 100% correct.

I blame a lot of the tired drivers on the road for the increasing casualisation of the workforce. Particularly tradies.

As a casual if you don't go to work, you don't get paid that day. You also risk losing your job. Can someone with a family to support cop losing $300 or so for a day off work? There's no sick leave as a casual.

I'd say most people have had a night where they tossed and turned in bed and maybe only got 3-4hrs sleep. At a large company with a fatigue policy, you'd be applauded for calling in to say you're too tired.

When I was on the mines on a long drive I pulled over for a 20min powernap. The safety bloke nearly orgasmed when he heard about it. My manager told me well done.

At a medium to small company you're more likely to get torn a new one down the phone. Happened to me as an apprentice, called work to say I'd be a couple hours late as I was too tired to drive, fuck me dead, never heard the end of it!

Employees of small companies are also more likely to be asked to work long hours leading to further fatigue.

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're 100% correct.

I blame a lot of the tired drivers on the road for the increasing casualisation of the workforce. Particularly tradies.

As a casual if you don't go to work, you don't get paid that day. You also risk losing your job. Can someone with a family to support cop losing $300 or so for a day off work? There's no sick leave as a casual.

I'd say most people have had a night where they tossed and turned in bed and maybe only got 3-4hrs sleep. At a large company with a fatigue policy, you'd be applauded for calling in to say you're too tired.

When I was on the mines on a long drive I pulled over for a 20min powernap. The safety bloke nearly orgasmed when he heard about it. My manager told me well done.

At a medium to small company you're more likely to get torn a new one down the phone. Happened to me as an apprentice, called work to say I'd be a couple hours late as I was too tired to drive, fuck me dead, never heard the end of it!

Employees of small companies are also more likely to be asked to work long hours leading to further fatigue.
    Police investiagations of accidents are simply looking for a breach of a traffic rule. They are not interested in causual factors.

Add contracting to your list. Industries where twelve hour shifts are the norm with driving to and from home added each way.

Better to find fault with an individual than to open a can of worms to these industries and work practices where we have become a simple Human Resource

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're 100% correct.

Yup. No argument from me on that.
    As for any Transport Company that states in their portfolio, under their name, first page, “We are a family orientated company”, I have learned that means, “Fuck your family, it is all about ours.”
    Likes Graelin, llbuono, ninjaa, Speed Dealer liked this post

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graelin View Post
    Police investiagations of accidents are simply looking for a breach of a traffic rule. They are not interested in causal factors.

Add contracting to your list. Industries where twelve hour shifts are the norm with driving to and from home added each way.

Better to find fault with an individual than to open a can of worms to these industries and work practices where we have become a simple Human Resource
    I survived it by applying my own rules and never budging.
    I’m an Arsehole. You all know that.

#1 Drive by your own rules. No one else’s. No Logbook. My rules.
    Do not do anyone any favours. The reason the freight is late is because of someone else’s ‘fuck up’ not yours. If they can’t fix the problem before it is put on your truck, it’s going to be late. How late it is going to be depends on how many times you ring me asking where I am. The more you ring, the later your freight will be. Never be frightened to rip the wires out of the gps or wrap the transmitter in in tin foil. There is a lot of bush out their. You’d very surprised how much bargaining power you have when you forget where you left something really important to someone.

#2 Stay single. Never be in the position you can not afford to tell anyone to stick their freight, truck or trailer up their arse.
    Always have enough money to purchase a plane ticket.

#3 Don’t be a Softcock. It is hard work. You don’t get home. If you think FIFO is hard on your family Ha ha ha ha.
    It’s worse than FIFO and without the money.
    Likes llbuono, wheel_of_steell liked this post

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add to point #1.
    This is obvious but in case 2 + 2 don’t make 4.

Late freight is late. Killing yourself, someone else doesn’t make the freight on time.
    It makes you a Cunt.

Getting it there on time when it was late doesn’t earn you a pay rise.
    It earns you the ability to always get the late freight.
    You set a president for all those that follow you.
    There will be nothing but late freight from that point on.
    The hours of driving time will be reduced as long as you keep getting it there on time.

Don’t let anyone ever convince you truck driving is a time trial. As soon as you believe that ‘they’ have won.
    Likes wheel_of_steell, henrys liked this post

Motorbike
    Triumph Trident
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You absolutely nailed it there. This last sentence is so true, I worked for an arsehole who had a small contracting business and he seemed to expect every minute of his employees time to be "billable hours" we started work at 0530 but were expected to be out the gate at 0525!
    His vehicles were always working and yet he expected the maintenance to be done, you'd work through to 2200 or later if he "needed" you but then you'd get a day off when he didn't. Needless to say he has phenominal turnover of staff, I wish I could name hi here.
    The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
    G T
    Likes Speed Dealer liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're 100% correct.

Also the amount of congestion is also meaning less jobs are getting done, the lieberal penny pinching has come back to bite hard across the board.

You do get casual loading to cover sick days etc but its the biggest load of shit because stingy bosses base off the award rate which is 80-90s wages. When I was working for the council I was paid on a casual rate $14 per hour less then the previous contracting company that had full time staff. They went under because the co owner was stealing from the company and councils not paying not cost of wages, my boss at the time has two million dollar properties.

As for mining being nice to their staff its no longer the boom, its a paid jail. While at one site a guy had a day off for fatigue, they gave him a day off but also a written warning that if he couldn't work the hours then his is no longer 'fit for work'. They don't care whats going in on your life unless your in the purple circle/management c*ck suckers. Im pretty sure the guy that rolled the road train from fatigue while there also got a window seat same as the one that drove with his brakes locked up causing a tyre fire.

For small companies, not many want you to do OT anymore. There coming up with 38hr contracts instead of 40hr.
    Likes llbuono, Speed Dealer liked this post

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo_2 View Post
    Also the amount of congestion is also meaning less jobs are getting done, the lieberal penny pinching has come back to bite hard across the board.

You do get casual loading to cover sick days etc but its the biggest load of shit because stingy bosses base off the award rate which is 80-90s wages. When I was working for the council I was paid on a casual rate $14 per hour less then the previous contracting company that had full time staff. They went under because the co owner was stealing from the company and councils not paying not cost of wages, my boss at the time has two million dollar properties.

As for mining being nice to their staff its no longer the boom, its a paid jail. While at one site a guy had a day off for fatigue, they gave him a day off but also a written warning that if he couldn't work the hours then his is no longer 'fit for work'. They don't care whats going in on your life unless your in the purple circle/management c*ck suckers. Im pretty sure the guy that rolled the road train from fatigue while there also got a window seat same as the one that drove with his brakes locked up causing a tyre fire.

For small companies, not many want you to do OT anymore. There coming up with 38hr contracts instead of 40hr.
    I hope you young fellas are looking after yourself.
    You’ll be required to work your Nuts off on the end of a banjo at 80 years of age.
    If that is too hard for you there will be a job at K Mart as a ‘Greeter’.
    Likes Speed Dealer liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that is too hard for you there will be a job at K Mart as a ‘Greeter’.
    Theres plenty of cruisey jobs out there while its not mining money it pays the bills, no jobs beneath me im also trained as a water meter reader you walk up to 100ks in a week and the pays not that good.

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo_2 View Post
    Theres plenty of cruisey jobs out there while its not mining money it pays the bills, no jobs beneath me im also trained as a water meter reader you walk up to 100ks in a week and the pays not that good.
    There are.
    There won’t be enough for the ageing population. We can’t rely on the retail market and hospitality to supply jobs. We need to manufacturer.
    Likes llbuono, henrys liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theyll just move into anything age care related but tourism as whole and with the ageing population perth has dropped the ball big time.

Try find cheap eats at pubs/resturants, most places are only tues/wed.
    Alice springs is everyday

You cant compete with 5c an hour china wages, we should have been taxing the absolute f*ck out of our commodities from the start once its gone aus hasn't got much to go on with.
    Last edited by Halo_2; 13-01-2018 at 02:11 PM.
    Likes GreenMeanie, llbuono, Crim, =Maz= liked this post