User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Another Wreck for Loud - Volkswagen Caddy

Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very keen to see how you go with this and the challenges you'll need to overcome.

The mechanical and electrical side of things should all be achievable, it's the government I'm worried about.

I've always been fascinated with these sort of car projects, but have never had the time/knowledge/patience/money/space all at the same time to do one.

The ones I've wanted to do were;

• Mighty Boy with a Matiz engine (don't laugh it's over double the power), or go bonkers with a GSXR in there.
    • 5 Series V8 or V10 into a 3 series BMW.
    • Hilux with a V8

All very fanciful pie in sky stuff though.

But GTi into a Caddy - brilliant!
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes Loud liked this post

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Letter from the Department of Transport summary:

Modifications all approved - subject to an Engineer signing off on it to say it's all done properly as well as a road and emissions test.

Mwuhahahahahaaaaaaaa, time to get my hands dirty.

Picked up a slightly used Superpro alloy control arm complete with Nolathane bushes and anti-lift. Also a pair of front alloy hub carriers and hubs from an Audi S3 complete with brakes. Original 288mm, S3 345mm.

Wait until you see the suspension kit that does away with the leaf springs at the back

Things going to go, stop and turn like a sports car. It's going to be hilarious!!
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes FJ Steve liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, Speedmaster 865, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    [*]Mighty Boy with a Matiz engine (don't laugh it's over double the power), or go bonkers with a GSXR in there.

!
    there's a guy in mundaring trade center that put a SR20DET into a mightyboy, vrrrrrrrrr pssstttttt pssst vrrrrr it goes

im thinking about ditching my E38 BMW and getting a golf will be watching this space in awe
    "Itís not going to judge you like a fucking Volkswagen would."

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fired up the chop shop for a week or so:

With this being the main outcome:

No filter on that picture, just a taste for monochrome colour schemes.

How on earth did I go through life so long without impact drivers? The 18v Makita has an LED light and is perfect for interiors and the engine bay, the Chicago Pneumatic is an air-driven beast and made me wonder why I ever bothered with breaker bars and muscle.

Now I'm pretty resourceful but some of the Golf is designed by people keen on jigsaw puzzles and Chinese finger traps. Thankfully YouTube has most of these areas catered for which prevented any inclination to go postal. Really does a centre armrest console need to be made out of 50 pieces?

Taking everything off has given me a pretty clear idea of exactly what I'm going to get for the money I laid out for the car - I spent $5,000 on it and a further $1,500 for shipping. Sold the front end for $1,500, door solenoids for $200, and have a few $100 more in parts to sell left around the place. Meaning I've paid ~$4,500 for the following upgrades:

• 169kW 300Nm petrol engine (100,000km) vs the standard 77kW 250Nm diesel (300,000km). Perfect service history, the timing belt has only just been done. And massive tuning potential.
    • 6 speed DSG gearbox vs 5 speed manual. Far faster shift, able to handle far more power than the clutch allows, and the CV joints aren't borked like mine. You can tweak the gearbox chip for even faster shift times.
    • 312mm vented front discs/286mm solid rear discs (all near new) vs 288mm vented/256mm
    • 18" Pirelli alloy wheels with near-new Bridgestone Potenzas - with the right speed and 95 load rating vs 15" alloy/steel combo and tyres on the indicators
    • Premium VW head unit with Sat Nav and Hands free
    • Multi-function steering wheel (Pirelli Edition)
    • Pirelli edition bucket seats (match the wheel, gear boot and handbrake boot)
    • Automatic headlights
    • Automatic wipers
    • Height and reach adjustable steering vs height only as standard
    • Dual climate control versus air conditioning
    • High volume fuel pump
    • Alloy crossmember and control arms vs steel
    • Sports front suspension (can't use the rear - IRS vs Leaf spring axle)
    • 10 speaker amplifier
    • GTI spec instrumentation
    • Footwell lights
    • Remote fuel-cap release vs key-lock
    • ...a bunch of 12v power outlets and whatever miscellaneous stuff I haven't remembered.

I've given myself a deadline - the Caddy engine comes out on the 1st day of November. I figure a week to strip out the mechanicals, cosmetics and electrics. It should be faster than the Golf I reckon as:

• I'm betting that it's put together more simply being that it's a commercial vehicle
    • I levelled up on VW engineering techniques on the Golf
    • Now I have a set of Spline drives and a Torx key set...

I'm guessing that the loom is going to be a real prick of a thing. I meticulously labelled the Golf donor loom as I pulled it out but the Caddy is a different shape/size and not everything will plug straight over to the Caddy specific equipment I'm sure. So I'm picking about three weeks on working through that and another week putting everything back together.
    Probably sounds optimistic given my levels of energy and mental health this year (and last) but Dexamfetamine and Lithium are doing alright by me it seems

Anyone able to guess what the machine in the garage is?
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes Stephan, Hati, TurboR1, BlackFZR, Crobbo and 1 others liked this post

Motorbike
    Honda CBR 1000 RR. CBR 600 RR track
    Liked
    695 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great read so far! Setting a deadline is a good idea. I also got a whiteboard at home to tick off things to do. Great motivator seeing things being done...
    SP RACINGis supported by:
    MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
    Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
    Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au
    Likes Loud liked this post

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey loud, give me a yell if you're needing any help or a spectator, I've played around with the GTIs a bit and I've got time to spare. I know what the machine in the background is but I won't spoil the surprise for you.

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look to MCM for more inspiration?

Maybe the skid factory for wiring harness assembly ( although I would guess you may be quite capable in any case..)

Great to see you progressing along, LOUD....dogs are gonna love it.
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the "fuel" light turned on today. I reckon that's a sign to start pulling the Caddy apart. I mean, what else could it mean, right? Definitely a sign. Going to begin this week.

Water pig, any particular bit you're keen to help out in/with? Happy to have you around for company and to do all of the heavy lifting

GsxInShed I've got the whole project more or less planned in my head. Seeing as I've stolen the parts that made the Pirelli unique I'm going to do the Caddy in a similar Pirelli special edition theme. That means you get three guesses as to what colour it's going to end up

It's going to leave me without a car. But I've been at the gym since the beginning of the year to rebuild the body and soothe the mind. Dropped 5kg, down to 98, and started smashing the bicycle a few weeks ago. Guess the pushy it is for a while - I'll be buff before summer!
    Last edited by Loud; 17-10-2018 at 08:24 AM.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes GsxInShed, FJ Steve liked this post

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey loud, just give me a call when you want help, I don't really mind doing basically anything mechanical or labouring, you're on your own with the wiring but