User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69

Thread: Another Wreck for Loud - Volkswagen Caddy

  1. #1
    Member Loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South. Just.
    Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Posts
    4,917
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Another Wreck for Loud - Volkswagen Caddy

    Yeah...

    This is in concept stage at the moment. Obvs I have the GSXR to put together and a bunch of other things to finish, but here's what's happening.

    Step 1

    Take one Volkswagen Caddy. The cheapest registered and running Caddy that has perhaps ever been sold in Australia. I think I just take pity on things and make them mine to give them some love.

    From outside it looks as though a baseball tried to get in while one of those tiny, angry Decepticon Transformers tried to get out. The inside was filled to the window sill with junk food wrappers - legit. Underneath lay buried a ruined tyre that the driver tried to get home on, which left the smell of stale warm rubber for weeks.

    But it's going to do as a transport for the two retired greyhounds that I've adopted. They were a bit cramped sharing the back seat of the Renault Clio - which I now have to sell to make room.

    I've always had a pocket rocket and now I have a fucking van. A diesel one at that. The novelty is going to wear off really damn quick.

    Step 2

    Get some ridiculous 19 inch rims. Audi ones off the A7. Manufactured by SPEEDLINE! They bolt straight on, but getting 95 Load Rated tyres in a 35 section profile is really difficult. So I've put in an application to the DoT to have them review the 95 load rating and issue me with a 91 Load rating the same as every other short wheel base Caddy van. 91 rated tyres are a piece of cake to find.

    Step 3

    Make it entirely unpractical by dumping it down 50mm. Adjustable coil overs are available off the shelf for the front because it's essentially the front of a Volkswagen Golf Mk 5 with a van on the back. I figure the greyhounds will appreciate they'll have less-far to jump, plus it might not sway all over the freeway when hit by a breeze...

    Step 4

    Find a written off Mk 5 Volkswagen Golf GTI and transplant the front mechanical thingamies in to the front of the Caddy. This is where my shitbox buy is a smart one - it's a 2005. You can't fit an engine from an earlier year car in to a later year car. Most of the Mk 5 GTI model life was from 2004-2009 so finding a suitable donor becomes easier. And because I have a 1.9 Turbo (Diesel) instead of the baby engine the legalities of swapping in a 2.0 Turbo become a heap easier - particularly when engineering doesn't need to become involved because it's all designed to fit. Paddle shift DSG in a van - lol.

    Step 5

    Bolt the front panels from a later model Volkswagen Caddy on to mine. They're almost straight swaps and the later ones look pretty mint. Fancy headlights are part of the package. And because it's a commercial vehicle these parts are available everywhere, cheap.

    Step 6

    Swap the interior for the latest Caddy interior which is pretty swish.

    Step I don't know when in the timeline

    Deck out the rear with carpet. And some subwoofers to go along with my greyhound woofers. And fit some sports buckets from some Audi or VW as they bolt straight in.



    That's the plan, pictures to follow.

    Oh and the aim of this game is to get away with this legally, without it being easily sticker-able
    Click Link for My Bikes:

    Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes N/A liked this post

  2. #2
    Member FJ Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Where I am
    Motorbike
    a couch
    Liked
    176 times
    Posts
    8,271
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    subscribed.

    Hit me up if you need contacts in Perth for parts and bits and pieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    I'm probably fucking something up.
    FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

    http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
    Administrator
    Likes Loud liked this post

  3. #3
    Member Hati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Beechboro
    Motorbike
    Honda NC750D Integra, BMW R1200 CLC
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    366
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post

    Step 6

    Swap the interior for the latest Caddy interior which is pretty swish.
    That is debatable... I live in one of the new (post diesel-gate edition) oil burners for work and I find it pretty average. Have not seen the older Caddys so can't compare. I know foot room is rubbish for right hand drive version.

    The thing is a pocket rocket however in standard trim with the 6 speed DSG. The shift finesse is utter rubbish though (I have an other DSG -non VW - to compare to) especially given the fact that VW is in the DSG game for a long time and as such it should be one of the best. It is not!

    Following this project with interest.

  4. #4
    Member GsxInShed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the big hole in the economy
    Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Posts
    8,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hahahhaa Sub'd...
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

  5. #5
    Member saltbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    Honda, Yami
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2018 gonna be a good year .subscribed
    Do it

  6. #6
    Member Loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South. Just.
    Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Posts
    4,917
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saltbush View Post
    2018 gonna be a good year .subscribed
    2017 was the worst of my life to-date. Although it ended with me becoming "Facebook Official" with an absolute keeper of a girl from Germany who keeps telling me to pronounce the car "Folksvagen".


    Hati is yours one of the new 2016-2017 revisions? Anything earlier shares the same average interior mine came with. Also I'm 6'4" with size 46EU feet. Heaps of room for me so I figure you must be Andre the Giant?

    The new 1.6TSI is the most powerful engine they've put in the Caddy so far. I guess the associated DSG must be tuned for longevity when loaded rather than finesse. The Golf GTi is probably the opposite
    Click Link for My Bikes:

    Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

  7. #7
    Member Hati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Beechboro
    Motorbike
    Honda NC750D Integra, BMW R1200 CLC
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    366
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    Hati is yours one of the new 2016-2017 revisions? Anything earlier shares the same average interior mine came with. Also I'm 6'4" with size 46EU feet. Heaps of room for me so I figure you must be Andre the Giant?
    Yes it is. I got it early September. You are welcome for a sticky beak if interested. I'm shorter then you by a fair margin and size 43EU, but it's not the lenght-wise room the issue, sidewise is hard to live with. I have to wear steel cap (or carbon cap) boots for work. The foot rest they have with the DSG model puts me in a weird kind of angle. With shoes it's ok. Also, WHERE you can store your left foot is very restrictive. Much more room on the passenger side, which is I guess due to the vehicle being left hand drive design. I haven't measured the foot well but visually the left side looks roomier.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    The new 1.6TSI is the most powerful engine they've put in the Caddy so far. I guess the associated DSG must be tuned for longevity when loaded rather than finesse. The Golf GTi is probably the opposite
    Don't know about the 1.6TSI, the 2 litre diesel is WAY more powerful than the 1.4 (or 1.6?) TSI MK 7.5 Golf we test drove a couple of months ago.

  8. #8
    Member Mr DJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bakers Hill
    Motorbike
    K8 GSX-R 750
    Liked
    7 times
    Posts
    1,023
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember tuning up the 1.9TDI engine in the missus Polo. With stickier tyres and sorted suspension that thing was an absolute rocket from 2nd gear onwards. I was up around the 400NM mark and overtaking road trains (and V6 dunnydores) with ease.

    Are you sure you can't be talked into breathing a little more life in the diesel? Torque for the win and will save you a bucket of cash. Spend the money on the aesthetics.
    Ass is back on a Super Sport!!!

  9. #9
    Member Para045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    City of Wanneroo
    Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Posts
    16,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    Step 2

    Get some ridiculous 19 inch rims. Audi ones off the A7. Manufactured by SPEEDLINE! They bolt straight on, but getting 95 Load Rated tyres in a 35 section profile is really difficult. So I've put in an application to the DoT to have them review the 95 load rating and issue me with a 91 Load rating the same as every other short wheel base Caddy van. 91 rated tyres are a piece of cake to find.
    A bit confused with this, you're saying the Caddy comes std with 91 LR tyres as std but you want to run bigger rims but still with 91 LR tyres? Can't see why you need an exemption or is it a typo and Caddy tyres are 95LR std

    Just had a look at one site which didn't make it much clearer as the LR varies with tyres Dia/width/Rim size etc and none at LR at 95 they are 91/93/94/99
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

    98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

  10. #10
    Member GsxInShed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the big hole in the economy
    Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Posts
    8,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ^^^^^ load rated tyres in 35 SECTION Profile..is really difficult^^^^^^

    Could this be the reason?????
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

  11. #11
    Member Para045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    City of Wanneroo
    Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Posts
    16,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GsxInShed View Post
    ^^^^^ load rated tyres in 35 SECTION Profile..is really difficult^^^^^^

    Could this be the reason?????
    But the way it's written he doesn't need 95 LR tyres only 91's for his Caddy Therefore if he can only get 91's in 35 section I can't see the issue
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

    98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

  12. #12
    Member GsxInShed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the big hole in the economy
    Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Posts
    8,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    But the way it's written he doesn't need 95 LR tyres only 91's for his Caddy Therefore if he can only get 91's in 35 section I can't see the issue
    Sweet .... tell him that.
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

  13. #13
    Member saltbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    Honda, Yami
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    2017 was the worst of my life to-date. Although it ended with me becoming "Facebook Official" with an absolute keeper of a girl from Germany who keeps telling me to pronounce the car "Folksvagen".
    Yes 2017 was not the best for you (and shit for me to buddy),I have read your posts on this forum ...thats why 2018 is a good one for you because you are moving on with a new challenge (this project)
    And Fräulein is right ...Folksvagen is howe you say it but we are here in Australia ......so volkswagen it is
    And you are right ....a absolute keeper of girl ........that! she is .The Germans I have met in my life (in short)had high skills and very motivated people ..we all were in a 20 to 25 year age group but it was a eye opener.
    From your posts it shows that you are precise meticulous investigative and don't take any shit kinda person ..you will work well with her.

    Back on topic. Don't forget Skoda they belong to the VW group for second hand parts I guess there are not that many on the road in comparison to audi and vw but NTL
    Last year our skoda superb got written off , It had heated rear seats ...........and the dog is still pissed of with me as I got a XC60 instead
    Last edited by saltbush; 15-01-2018 at 01:47 AM.
    Do it
    Likes Loud liked this post

  14. #14
    Member moshriff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wattle Grove
    Motorbike
    MT-09
    Liked
    88 times
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear things are on the up, subbed!
    Likes Loud liked this post

  15. #15
    Member Loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South. Just.
    Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Posts
    4,917
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr DJ View Post
    I remember tuning up the 1.9TDI engine in the missus Polo. With stickier tyres and sorted suspension that thing was an absolute rocket from 2nd gear onwards. I was up around the 400NM mark and overtaking road trains (and V6 dunnydores) with ease.

    Are you sure you can't be talked into breathing a little more life in the diesel? Torque for the win and will save you a bucket of cash. Spend the money on the aesthetics.
    Heya mate 400NM sounds like fun in a Polo, what mods did you do?

    There's a few reasons I'm in favour of doing the GTi thing. Most of them have to do with the nice stuff I can swap over:

    • Seats
    • Alloy engine subframe
    • DSG gearbox or 6 speed manual
    • Bigger discs all around
    • Better instrumentation
    • Auto headlights
    • Auto wipers
    • Multi-function steering wheel and slip ring
    • Cruise control


    The main plus with the complete swap is that I will have a car that thinks it's a Volkswagen Golf GTi, not a Caddy/Golf hybrid where the various systems have trouble communicating with eachother. I really don't want warning lights or entrusting a VW Tech with my Credit Card for hours of trial and error coding.



    Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    A bit confused with this, you're saying the Caddy comes std with 91 LR tyres as std but you want to run bigger rims but still with 91 LR tyres? Can't see why you need an exemption or is it a typo and Caddy tyres are 95LR std

    Just had a look at one site which didn't make it much clearer as the LR varies with tyres Dia/width/Rim size etc and none at LR at 95 they are 91/93/94/99
    My bad. I'm saying that my van has a 95 load plate which screws me for 35 profile tyres. I want a 91 load plate for it like all the other cool Caddys do so I can go down to the local shops and get some 235/35/19s in a 91 tyre.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

    Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

  16. #16
    Member Loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South. Just.
    Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Posts
    4,917
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here it is, stock as a rock and with plenty of battle scars.



    And here are Stanley and Sooki chilling out in the cargo area.



    And here's a mock up with the alloy wheels



    Click Link for My Bikes:

    Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes Crobbo, FJ Steve, henrys liked this post

  17. #17
    Member Para045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    City of Wanneroo
    Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Posts
    16,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    My bad. I'm saying that my van has a 95 load plate which screws me for 35 profile tyres. I want a 91 load plate for it like all the other cool Caddys do so I can go down to the local shops and get some 235/35/19s in a 91 tyre.
    Ah that makes more sense Although saying that the website I looked at listed LR's at 91/93/94/99 not 95 but there are always variations in years/websites etc etc and now at least I can see why the issue It's a bit like when we bought our 2007 Territory Ghia Turbo in 2009, the std Terra has 235/60-17 Goodyear Fortera tyres with a 104V load rating but the Turbo has 235/55-18 Goodyear Fortera's with a 104V load rating

    When we 1st went to replace tyres there was only Hankook that were slightly cheaper and Pirelli that were quite a bit more expensive in that LR, shit loads of tyres in the correct LR for the 17's and plenty of 235/55-18's BUT only in a 101/102 LR

    Quite a few more makes of tyre available in the correct size/LR now though and the cost Cool rims
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

    98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

  18. #18
    Member GsxInShed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the big hole in the economy
    Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Posts
    8,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    Here it is, stock as a rock and with plenty of battle scars.



    And here are Stanley and Sooki chilling out in the cargo area.



    And here's a mock up with the alloy wheels



    Can you get rotor size to mimick the old wheels through the new ones..... HAWT!
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."
    Likes Loud liked this post

  19. #19
    Member Stu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bayswater
    Motorbike
    Ducati 1199 Panigale; Suzuki GSXR750 SRAD
    Liked
    330 times
    Posts
    1,473
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a cool project - can't help but think some custom airbrushing on those canvas-like side panals would look mint.
    Spiral out, keep going...


  20. #20
    Member GsxInShed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the big hole in the economy
    Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Posts
    8,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Annnnndd might I add the satellite dish looks great .. Foxtel? I'd guess it'll fold down at speed....?

    So the dogs can watch 'stan' ? You think of everything..
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •