User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do we get people off their phones whilst driving?

Motorbike
    ZX10,CBR1000F
    Liked
    585 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sucks if you're a passenger..

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shabadoo View Post
    Sucks if you're a passenger..
    Yeh like the driver getting fined when a passenger doesn't have a seatbelt on... Oh wai..
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    -
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    How about the same as happens now with 'hoon laws'? i.e. confiscate it anyway.
    Personally I would like to make it so mobile phones do not allow access while moving. Very easy to do.
    Also incredibly annoying if you're not the driver and/or incredibly easy to bypass.

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about the same as happens now with 'hoon laws'? i.e. confiscate it anyway.
    Personally I would like to make it so mobile phones do not allow access while moving. Very easy to do.
    Yeah because the hoon laws are really fair on people who aren't the owner/driver as well Why should the person who owns the vehicle be penalised?
    Using that sort of logic maybe the parents of kids abused by paedophiles should be charged as well

The blocking the signal part is a good idea, not sure how effective it would be as Alternate said
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    Ducati 899 Panigale, Honda CBR250RR
    Liked
    130 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alternate View Post
    Also incredibly annoying if you're not the driver
    Really don't care.
    I spend 90% of my time on the road as a person most at risk of serious injury from the dickheads on their phones (motorbike, bike, pedestrian).
    I seriously have zero care if people can't access the phone network while mobile. There is no need. It is merely convenience and for me, getting killed or injured is much more inconvenient.

and/or incredibly easy to bypass.
    Depends on implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    Yeah because the hoon laws are really fair on people who aren't the owner/driver as well Why should the person who owns the vehicle be penalised?
    1. It's easy to administer
    2. It removes all kinds of possible loop holes
    3. Good old fashioned peer pressure. So you borrowed my car and now it's confiscated? Good luck when you want it again. So you were driving my companies car/truck/bus/rocketship and now it's confiscated? Good luck having a job tomorrow.

I really don't like a punitive approach to things, especially when it's so open to abuse (the 'attitude test' for example. My attitude should not matter when deciding if I've broken some law or other. Either I have or I haven't.) Technical solutions to technical problems work best.
    But if you want to legislate, make it simple and unambiguous.
    Quote Originally Posted by mekon
    Why are pirates called pirates?
    Because they Arrrrrr
    Likes Thomas Peel liked this post

Motorbike
    Honda VFR 800 2016
    Liked
    42 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we need to give Liza Harvey her old job back in charge of roadside revenue raising.

Because she would have ordered 50 of the incredibly fantastic MOP catching camera's and be gleefully rubbing her hands together at the thought of 50 x $800 per minute revenue income.

Now we all know that speed camera's are for revenue raising only in W.A. But roadside camera's catching MOP's will actually reduce the accident rate on Perth roads as the brain dead MOP's loose their license's from Demerit points, or sell their cars to pay their fines and go ride on the bus where they belong.

Panel beaters will cry as they will no longer be repairing hundreds of thousands of front/rear's of cars per year. But just think about it. No more being slammed up the arse by a drooling retarded MOP. No more MOP's running into trees, houses, poles, bus stops, petrol stations, shopping centres, schools, hospitals & national monuments.

No more MOP's sitting idle at green lights, No more MOP's getting out of their cars in the middle of your bedroom, No more MOP's telling the cops that they fell asleep at the wheel after they have crashed. The nations average IQ will increase, people will start having real physical sex with each other instead of sexting, groups of people will get together and physically talk to each other instead of close proximity texting each other.

What a wonderful world it would be without the MOP.

If you can't tell, I have an overly incredibly exaggerated hatred of MOP's. I hate being the recipient of instant vehicular anal sex.
    I'm deliberately using large words and correct spelling so that MOP's will not be able to comprehend what I'm posting while also proving that my IQ is over 60 and I'm literate and therefore, not a MOP.

MOP = Moron/Muppet On Phone.
    Last edited by Cone Cat; 29-01-2018 at 07:35 AM.
    Likes Halo_2, Thomas Peel liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the phone zombie apocalypse will only get worse, that's why i ride like a bike not a car

never sit with the same car for more than 3 seconds
    never stop with cars, if needed at lights stop way over on the right
    Hoonaholics Garage

"Itís not going to judge you like a fucking Volkswagen would."

Motorbike
    Kwaka zx10R, Yamaharrrr R1
    Liked
    144 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lock my phone in the glovebox and turn on bluetooth and the habit goes away - problem is that any measures to stop phone use at the moment are opt in.

The mrs' car has a good info system which means thankfully she now uses the voice recognition to use the phone and the big display rather than staring at a phone. The problem is that people who generally use their phones still think they're in complete control.

Maybe a system that tracks your hand and eye movement, if it detects you appearing to use a phone for >5 secs it beeps annoyngly loud. The tech is there for it at least.

beyond that the only way you're going to be able to force it is for the phone companies to get on board and have a joint system that tracks where in a car a phone is and stops it from being used in the driver's immediate reach

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if pilots use mobiles while taking off/landing? Also a big supporter of mobile phone signal blocking in cars...tough shit for passengers....stop and get out if its that important. I also believe loss of licence, not suspension, for texting while driving should be mandatory.
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BusaSteve View Post
    I wonder if pilots use mobiles while taking off/landing?
    No, hands and legs are too busy. But they'll be using a radio, changing frequencies, reading maps/charts/plates.

In cruise however you better believe it. An ipad for weather, phone calls ect.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Motorbike
    Liked
    130 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crobbo View Post
    No, hands and legs are too busy. But they'll be using a radio, changing frequencies, reading maps/charts/plates.

In cruise however you better believe it. An ipad for weather, phone calls ect.
    I'm calling bullshit:

https://qz.com/233165/the-pilots-of-...es-of-the-air/

at least 2 of those are on approach

edit:

and "Two years ago, an Australian Airbus A320 pilot was so engaged with incoming text messages that he forgot to deploy the landing gear and had to abort because the aircraft was too low. According to the report, the copilot noticed the captain was distracted by his cell phone when he didnít respond to requests to set the approach altitude. An in-cabin warning system alerted the captain. "

from here http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf...le_flying.html
    Because they Arrrrrr

Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm calling bullshit:

https://qz.com/233165/the-pilots-of-...es-of-the-air/

at least 2 of those are on approach

edit:

and "Two years ago, an Australian Airbus A320 pilot was so engaged with incoming text messages that he forgot to deploy the landing gear and had to abort because the aircraft was too low. According to the report, the copilot noticed the captain was distracted by his cell phone when he didnít respond to requests to set the approach altitude. An in-cabin warning system alerted the captain. "

I see a lot of right hand seat shots.

Also photo =/= phone.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.
    Likes mekon liked this post

Motorbike
    -
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really don't care.
    I spend 90% of my time on the road as a person most at risk of serious injury from the dickheads on their phones (motorbike, bike, pedestrian).
    I seriously have zero care if people can't access the phone network while mobile. There is no need. It is merely convenience and for me, getting killed or injured is much more inconvenient.
    So because of a few (and yes, I acknowledge it's a large few) idiots, its OK to blanket ban the use of phones of all occupants "while mobile"? Buses, taxis, trains included?

Do you support all blanket bans because of the few, or just this one because you feel you are in danger? Ever thought of becoming a politician?

Motorbike
    Liked
    130 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crobbo View Post
    I see a lot of right hand seat shots.

Also photo =/= phone.
    "Two years ago, an Australian Airbus A320 pilot was so engaged with incoming text messages that he forgot to deploy the landing gear and had to abort because the aircraft was too low. According to the report, the copilot noticed the captain was distracted by his cell phone when he didnít respond to requests to set the approach altitude. An in-cabin warning system alerted the captain. "

Also probably not using his phone?
    Because they Arrrrrr

Motorbike
    Liked
    130 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So because of a few (and yes, I acknowledge it's a large few) idiots, its OK to blanket ban the use of phones "while mobile"? Buses, taxis, trains included?
    Yes. Mobile technology (as used in mobile phones) is not a good thing. I would be happy to go back in time 30 years and murder it's inventor.
    Because they Arrrrrr
    Likes mekon, Gim liked this post

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. Mobile technology (as used in mobile phones) is not a good thing. I would be happy to go back in time 30 years and murder it's inventor.
    A lot of work done on the phone in the car whilst driving. Who knows the productivity increase in the last 30 but it would not be insignificant.

Worth a few casualties at least.
    /sarcasm

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really don't care.
    I seriously have zero care if people can't access the phone network while mobile. There is no need. It is merely convenience and for me, getting killed or injured is much more inconvenient
    Typical of today's society, death and severe injury inconveniences you, self, self, self.

Once upon a time we carried pagers. If they went off, we went and found a payphone or landline to ring the office and see what was up. Strangely enough the world still worked then. Then we got alpha-numeric pagers that had a message screen. Now we have phones and people just play on them.

I suspect less work is getting done.

Until the novelty wears off, it will remain a big problem. Big stick is probably the only interim measure until a common sense injection is found.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits
    Likes keys liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stopping phones working while on the move is a stupid idea, all cars have blue tooth these days and if your a person that needs to check facebook while driving i hope you get dick cancer and hope you realise you are what is wrong in the world lol

caught on phone while driving should be the same as DD, instant loss of license. maybe they could all make a facebook group & organise them selves some lifts
    Hoonaholics Garage

"Itís not going to judge you like a fucking Volkswagen would."
    Likes GsxInShed liked this post

Motorbike
    2007 R1
    Liked
    2246 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an interesting one. I was on the way back from an Australia day event in our village where we had the kids climbing over the new pumper. Driving home the pager goes off. Address is just where I've driven past, message, "Car Accident. Possible person(s) trapped."
    I double back to the address, on a corner and people are standing on the left hand side of the road, divvy van pulled in minutes before. I run down a very steep driveway. Find the cops, see a kid sitting on a chair with a bag of ice on his foot. I ask where the car is and the police point to a ditch/creek bed. He's turned back on himself nearly 180 degrees to come through the driveway and end up where he is.
    In the space on the few minutes the cops have questioned him, he's changed his story 4 times.
    I hear the sirens of two of our appliances responding code 1. I walk back up the driveway and talk to our captain while the others attend as they're wearing their gear. Capt then notices mobile phone in the grass at the top of the hill. Belongs to the kid. The kid is my neighbour's son, he drives like a cunt down our cul-de-sac most days. Maybe he'll fucking learn, I suspect not.
    We attend a few traffic accidents, biggest cause is distraction/inattention, usually caused by phone, passenger (arguing usually), other. People need to focus more on the task at hand so at least they don't clean up someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abuse this View Post
    Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.
    Likes Halo_2, Thomas Peel liked this post

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buses, taxis, trains included?
    They all use their phone on the road aswell

Quote Originally Posted by mekon View Post
    Biggest cause is distraction/inattention, usually caused by phone, passenger (arguing usually), other. People need to focus more on the task at hand so at least they don't clean up someone else.
    Agreed
    And speed should be the answer....... not slowing down.
    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"