User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get another bike (small / midsized)

Motorbike
    Had a few, nothing at the moment
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking to get another bike (small / midsized)

A bit of background, I'm a mature rider on full license. Have had 7 different bikes over more than 20 years ranging from cruisers, VFR, to chinese 150cc. I'm leaning towards a small 300 - 500cc road bike for commuting (road and freeways) and maybe once a year road trip. Not into racing or too much fanging. I'm short 165cm and 72 kg. No pillion.

I had initially thought a naked bike would be more practical, but looking around it looks like the fully faired variant are a lot more available and hence cheaper? There's lots more Ninja 300 than Z300 for example, and CBR500 on special is fair bit cheaper than the CB500? Is this right or have I got it wrong?

Another thing is that I would like to do the basic servicing myself to save $$$ as well as learn the bike. I'm also leaning towards Japan made (which I think all the Ninja 300 are?)

So, with that in mind, and with a low budget of $2,500 - $5000 2nd hand, or to $7000 new if I have to, which bike would you choose?

Ninja 300? Z300? CB500, CBR500, Duke 390? Wait for Ninja 400? Anything else I need to look at?

llbuono
    My son bought a brand new cbr500r from honda in mandurah end of last year a great bike does a bit of everything it is cheap to service as well and really uses hardly any fuel.

Motorbike
    Hot tub SRAD time machine
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think most of the bikes in that category are Thailand made, other than the Ktms which are out of India and the chinese bikes which, are, well.. out of China generally. no Japanese stuff left i dont think, maybe the SV650 Suzuki nowadays? thats it, bit expensive tho. Nothing wrong with Thai manufacture now from what ive seen. They are well sorted bikes made to a budget well put together

you could service any of them i think without too much time or expense dont have to use top shelf oils lubes or somesuch.

for freeway - commute - general fun hack bike with occasional country trip second hand i'd look at Ninja 300 or CbR500r plenty around and condition price is all over the place, also Yamaha MT-07 if you can find one in that price range they are all probably more comfy and capable than you might think,

if your coming down from bigger bikes a semi faired CB500x is maybe worth a look but might be a bit tall at 810mm seat height?

personally i'd stay away from the KTMs but thats just me I think they are 3/4 sized and a bit agricultural.

i agree the new little Ninja 400 on paper might be worth waiting for but i get the feeling it will be around $8k ride away though, maybe more.
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Motorbike
    2018 MT10 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

loads of hard drives come from thailand these days - if they can make those then they can make anything

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, Speedmaster 865, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hyosung all the way, don't even bother checking the oil just ride straight back from bunbury
    "Fuck Network 10, I hope the entire board of directors die in a house fire. "
    Likes saltbush, frenchie liked this post

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get an R class bike of whatever-capacity-you-choose.

The prices aren't R-E inflated and they're not all about being built to a budget. Better suspension, brakes, etc.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    CBR600
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motorbike
    ZX10R
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySmurf View Post
    There's lots more Ninja 300 than Z300
    I think the biggest reason for this is the ninja 300 has been around for a few years longer than the z300.

Personally I would get a ninja250/300 or cbr250/300, cheap, heaps of parts around for them, easy to take care of (or so I hear). Although to throw a spanner in the works I would also look at the klr650 and dr650, single cylinder very basic dual sport bikes which can easily handle a bit of everything.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Motorbike
    Honda, Yami
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySmurf View Post
    A bit of background, I'm a mature rider on full license. Have had 7 different bikes over more than 20 years ranging from cruisers, VFR, to chinese 150cc. I'm leaning towards a small 300 - 500cc road bike for commuting (road and freeways) and maybe once a year road trip. Not into racing or too much fanging. I'm short 165cm and 72 kg. No pillion.

Another thing is that I would like to do the basic servicing myself to save $$$ as well as learn the bike. I'm also leaning towards Japan made ?
    I guess SCOOTER 400 cc or higher ,Yamaha, Suzuki . Low to the ground ,storage for once year trip (you being 1.65 you might fit under the buddy seat ,there is a truckload of space under the seat )and servicing you can do yourself ....

Or a Hyosung straight back to bunbury !!!!
    Do it

Motorbike
    Honda CB1100F
    Liked
    94 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I test rode a BMW G310GS today and I'm thinking of selling my big bore naked and trading it in. It doesn't meet all of your requirements, but it excels in some of your other ones.

It's incredibly fuel efficient; it was getting a running 3.6L/100km on the test ride through the city and freeway. It's cheap to insure ($21/month). It's a BMW, so it's reliable and well made (however it is made in India, I'm confident that BMW wouldn't put their name on cheaply made nonsense when they want to keep their tough as nails GS reputation. It's easy to ride, surprisingly comfortable and cruisey on the freeway (sits at 6,000rpm at 100km/h), and it has the ability to go on some light dirt graded roads when you're in a bit of an adventurous mood. The downside though is that it's $7,800 new.... Regardless, I'd recommend you look into it and check one out at Auto Classic.

Liked
    5 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a wee fat one (I'm only little) for the Husqvarna VITPILEN 401.
    Likes BIGMANDAZZ liked this post

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The KTM 390s are a right laugh, and went like shit off a shovel, even with 120kg on board. I borrowed my mates KTM Duke 390 for the day.

Motorbike
    2006 Suzuki GSX1400, 2008 Suzuki SV650
    Liked
    833 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Dealer View Post
    The KTM 390s are a right laugh, and went like shit off a shovel, even with 120kg on board. I borrowed my mates KTM Duke 390 for the day.
    They do have some issues, mainly when you race them, but can be used as an urban hoon machine when/if required...I know of one that attended a ride that happens on Friday nights and gained quite a bit of respect for itself.
    All I've got and more for #294...RIP Chris Adley
    #158...RIP James Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    Wooohoo !! Fucking 10/10 ride. Cheers for that Aari, you really conditioned my sphincter
    Likes Speed Dealer liked this post

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom V. View Post
    . It's a BMW, so it's reliable and well made (however it is made in India, I'm confident that BMW wouldn't put their name on cheaply made nonsense when they want to keep their tough as nails GS reputation.
    Made in India with Indian quality control... no thanks. I'd go an R3 over either of the Indian 300s (KTM 390 or BMW 310)
    Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.

Motorbike
    Liked
    833 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made in India with Indian quality control... no thanks. I'd go an R3 over either of the Indian 300s (KTM 390 or BMW 310)
    The 390's have only had issues for racers...the R3 is made in Indonesia bud.

Wooohoo !! Fucking 10/10 ride. Cheers for that Aari, you really conditioned my sphincter

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, Speedmaster 865, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and the only issue with the 390 his head gasket, well & gear box but if you dont smash it down to second from 5th and hang it they are fine lol

plus KTM have a fix for the head gasket, you just have to ask for the special race one. but would only be needed if you ride flat out every where
    "Fuck Network 10, I hope the entire board of directors die in a house fire. "

Motorbike
    Liked
    833 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know there was a gearbox issue. There is a stiffer Detent spring you can get from an aftermarket company.

What is the part number for the special race head gasket you speak of?? Genuine interest in that.

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Shit!!!

Sorry I came in late on this one..

I heard Keys mention Lilboners bike is for sale..?

Needs a front tyre and it's good to go....

I might just need to check back on this .... I possibly crossed two threads at the same time...

Must be the L/P plates I have on at the moment...?
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    Honda CB1100F
    Liked
    94 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, it is made in India. But there are 2 reasons that doesn't bother me. One, a couple of Hero's finished Dakar this year, so surely the quality control over there can't be that bad. For comparison, ZongShen has entered a couple of times with no luck. And two, it's still BMW and a GS. There's no way that a huge company like BMW would risk destroying their highly valuable GS brand name by plopping it onto some shoddily made bikes.

I rode one this week. I was highly impressed by it. Whether it'll last as long, and with as few problems, as a 1200GS is another question, but to be honest, I'm prepared to take that risk and find out myself.

Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
    i think most of the bikes in that category are Thailand made, other than the Ktms which are out of India and the chinese bikes which, are, well.. out of China generally. no Japanese stuff left i dont think, maybe the SV650 Suzuki nowadays? thats it
    There’s plenty of Suzuki’s, Yamaha and Kawasaki’s coming out be Japan still.