Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RWTK: Slow NakedDSL, but no line fault... and the pending NBN

Ok, PSB, looking for some technical advice from those in the know.

Iíve had slow ADSL2+ speeds for some time now (approx 1.5Mbps, used to hover around 7 or so), and it began just after a heavy rainfall we had back in August. I suspected a line fault. To cut a very long story short, after lots of testing different shit, many hours on the phone to iiNet support, tearing my hair out, technician visits by both an iiNet tech and a Telstra tech, I am finally back where I started with a working, but slow, internet connection. Telstra bloke says no fault on the line, so Iím thinking the fault is between the street and the kitchen phone socket.

What I want to know is:
    - Is my diagnosis correct, and thatís where the fault lies? If so, and it being a NakedDSL connection, Iím fully responsible for this section of copper, and the associated costs to fix it, no?
    - NBN (FTTN) is getting rolled out here in early April. I can put up with the slow internet for two months if it means I never have to call iiNet again, but if the problem is in that stretch of copper and I donít fix it, will it affect my future NBN connection? Not sure if this line is replaced or not during the initial NBN setup...

Any advice and answers greatly appreciated

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go out in the street and pull the blue/white wires from the box and plug into there to see if speeds improve.
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    Mule, Italian twin
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea what Iím doing, but Iíll go have a look

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't if I were you.......I have no idea either.
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."
    Likes Roy, Heretic, okitoki liked this post

Motorbike
    Doesn't matter, don't ride them anymore anyway.
    Liked
    517 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, if Telstra say its fine, they just dont want to fix the problem.

At my girlfriends mums house, they come and check the lines by testing the other side of the street where the line is fine, but when they test her side of the street they realise that its basically all fallen apart.

Telstra also dont want to fix anything and will lie through their teeth about how there isnt a problem.

Motorbike
    ZX10,CBR1000F
    Liked
    585 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its the battery

Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how they do a line test without a voice connection.

Find the first point of entry of the line into house the house.

It should be closest to the beige/cream Telstra box outside your house.

Try your modem there.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similar story with me, except I used to get 14. What does the toolbox show the connect speed as? Mine shows as 16 but speedtest.net has me at 5.
    -

Motorbike
    An invisible one
    Liked
    278 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep sounds exactly like the problem we had. Telstra line to the house was a three core cable but down to one just hanging on (what I was told anyway!). Telstra didn't want to know anything about it so switched to optus and it turned out they had to use the same line as well. They realised what the problem was so let us break the contract only 6mths in. The best thing we ever did was switch to a Fixed Wireless broadband provider. Connects by a small satellite dish on the roof to the WiMax network. We get about 13Mbps which no its not super fast but we can pay for a quicker connection if we want, it very rarely if ever drops out unlike Telstra and Optus, equivalent pricing and we aren't using the fucked copper infrastructure. It can handle 4 teenagers (and two adults) on school holidays so am not complaining at all.
    If you want an independant technician who knows his stuff and can give you the best advice my bro-in law fixes this shit for a living.

Edit: yeah I believe the NBN would have to use the same copper cable so we won't be switching over anytime soon
    Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Motorbike
    Mule, Italian twin
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prefectionist View Post
    In my experience, if Telstra say its fine, they just dont want to fix the problem.
    This is the gist Iím getting as well. Iinet have assigned a case manager now who I spoke to last night, much more helpful that the general tech support peanuts. Told me there is definitely something wrong with the line based on the test data they have from when their first tech came over and from the stats theyíre seeing right now. But not sure how much recourse they have with Telstra, whether or not they can put a foot on their throat and get something done. Will see, I guess. Iím just happy Iím finally making some progress

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by agrid View Post
    Similar story with me, except I used to get 14. What does the toolbox show the connect speed as? Mine shows as 16 but speedtest.net has me at 5.
    Will check today and report back. Going to hunt around for other connection points too

Motorbike
    motorbike.
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    This is the gist Iím getting as well. Iinet have assigned a case manager now who I spoke to last night, much more helpful that the general tech support peanuts. Told me there is definitely something wrong with the line based on the test data they have from when their first tech came over and from the stats theyíre seeing right now. But not sure how much recourse they have with Telstra, whether or not they can put a foot on their throat and get something done. Will see, I guess. Iím just happy Iím finally making some progress

- - - Updated - - -

Will check today and report back. Going to hunt around for other connection points too
    Sounds about right - Need to elevate it to get anything actually happening...! Hopefully they can solve it.

Motorbike
    2015 MT07 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the techs should have done a line test from the box on your wall to the sockets - which will tell you if theres a problem,
    do you have any extensions? Alarms plugged in?

FTTN uses the same copper to your house so if theres a problem, NBN isn't going to fix your woes

can you check line noise/attenuation in your modem setiup or tools?

I have a line fault and still get 10 down and 2 up on naked dsl with iinet - NBN is connected next week and no be honest I'm not expecting much improvement

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I had a problem with slow speed and dropouts a while ago I plugged an old school phone it. I could hear heaps of noise on the line. They sent the Telstra guy around who did something and then called us on the landline. No static at all. Speed back up to 14.8mbps. But now we have this new low speed problem and no static on the line. I think things slowed down when I installed a Google Home device. I wonder if it could be it.
    -

Motorbike
    Bike-less now :(
    Liked
    546 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure if related, but it seems google home stuff are killing the 2.4GHZ wifi channel, and alot of people are finding their wifi stops responding and needs to be rebooted... and is not restricted to brand of modem...
    I am having the same issue with my 2.4GHZ die, but the 5GHZ channel is still working...

probably worth turning off these google gears off and monitor the performance?
    "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Motorbike
    RZ250
    Liked
    2138 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agrid View Post
    When I had a problem with slow speed and dropouts a while ago I plugged an old school phone it. I could hear heaps of noise on the line. They sent the Telstra guy around who did something and then called us on the landline. No static at all. Speed back up to 14.8mbps. But now we have this new low speed problem and no static on the line. I think things slowed down when I installed a Google Home device. I wonder if it could be it.
    Easily testable hypothesis. Just powered off both Home devices - no change.

I recently contacted Optus about our shite speeds, and the tech support basically said that for that distance from the exchange the speeds are about the best you could expect through the copper.

NBN (when it finally gets to this suburb) will likely run into this same choke-point.

Optus is kindly sending a new modem just to see if it helps, but I will be likely pulling the pin on landline and going wireless as I can't run a business when it takes 4 fucking days to upload images from a job to a local lab (I could walk a USB drive there faster). Not 4k video, not RAW files, just lowly jpegs.

Bamboo huts in Cambodia have faster speeds.

The current NBN is a fucking joke - like a freeway with traffic lights - when the original plan would have been faaaaarrrr more scalable.

Motorbike
    An invisible one
    Liked
    278 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skut View Post

I recently contacted Optus about our shite speeds, and the tech support basically said that for that distance from the exchange the speeds are about the best you could expect through the copper.

NBN (when it finally gets to this suburb) will likely run into this same choke-point.

Optus is kindly sending a new modem just to see if it helps,
    Every point above is exactly what Optus told us as well. As we are in Dianella about 3km from the exchange it simply wouldn't be any better. We also went the other route and upgraded the router ourselves as well, helped a little but if the signal coming in is shit then the best modem/router in the world won't help.
    Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Motorbike
    Triumph Sprint ST
    Liked
    368 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got as far as iinet in the OP and went - Ah, well there is the issue right there!

They keep wanting me to upgrade to NBN with them, now it is finally here, and don't seem to think that their truly appalling service over the last couple of years is a good enough reason to say NO!

Aussie Broadband here we come.
    Adventure before Dementia

The wretched hive of scum and villainy that is my office.
    Motorbike
    Nothing as yet, soon as I get a license and bike I will let you know
    Liked
    299 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless it's changed, but from the exchange to the first phone point (usually near the front door, in older house it was the kitchen) is the responsibility of the carrier, beyond that the owners.

Might be an idea to get a austel licensed sparkie to check the cabling in the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    DO NOT TOUCH - Probably the most unsettling thing to read in braille.

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a guy from the NBNCo out the front last week running the new Hybrid Fibre Cable from the pit on the corner of our block to a smaller one next door and then into a new box on the side of the house
    Apparently the next step is for Telstra (or another provider) to run a line from the box to the modem point inside so thankfully wont have to put up with the old copper line
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    2015 MT07 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    Had a guy from the NBNCo out the front last week running the new Hybrid Fibre Cable from the pit on the corner of our block to a smaller one next door and then into a new box on the side of the house
    Apparently the next step is for Telstra (or another provider) to run a line from the box to the modem point inside so thankfully wont have to put up with the old copper line
    what area are you? FTTP is pretty rate afaik