Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually quite like the vfr 800 as a touring bike, I think the move to adventure bikes makes about as much sense as the need for everyone to need a turbo diesel dual cab

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didnt know Honda made one^....
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast
    Likes Green Trident liked this post

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone Cat View Post
    Here's hoping that Honda gets a big hit to the head with the common sense stick and they replace a legend with another legend.

That they bring back the Blackbird. It'll be powered by a retuned for touring thou from the blade, the comfy one piece seat, twin exhaust, big tank, centre stand and luggage and style it just like you'd expect with a modern take on the bird.
    Yeah, probably won't happen. But at least I made Para045 smile.

Oh yeah! I'd be over the moon, the rumours of a "new" BB before the VFR1200 came out got the heart racing but unfortunately the VFR1200 while a nice bike just didn't cut it

That's because the VFR1200 ended production some time ago. It's actually the 7th generation VFR. Honda ceased production of the 6th generation 800cc and replaced it with the 1200 before reverting back to the 800cc in 2014 with the 8th generation, the current and final model.

I didn't realise they'd stopped production of the VFR1200

That is from Honda's facebook page. I think they may be referring to the VFR800 here and not the 750's. So it's correct as far as the 800cc capacity goes, but the VFR has 8 generations which begain with the 750's in 1986. The VFR has had four engine sizes, 400, 750, 800 and 1200cc.
    Yeah I think it's poor form that Honda are only referring to the 800cc here in their tribute because as you say, the VFR has been in Honda dealerships for over 30 years.

Like Para45, I have trouble seeing the facebook post as well. The images are all 800cc models, none of the 750 or 1200's.

Quote Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
    Other then the first VFR750 which i quite liked, i think after they built the SP1 and SP2 to win SBK the whole VFR range became orphaned and they probably should have killed off the whole range and made a new Blackbird. Someone up high in Honda must have had a real moisty for it to keep them going this long.
    Yeah I think if the VFR1200 had been more like the new 800 it would have done better

Quote Originally Posted by IGS View Post
    They also did a 400cc V4 motor
    Also a VFR700 for the US market apparently
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    Honda VFR 800 2016
    Liked
    42 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sixofthebest View Post
    Sport touring is dead. That application has been taken over by the soft adventure segment (eg Multistrada / V Strom / etc - even Africa Twin at a pinch). A good thing too in my book - after a ride through the Wheatbelt on my Valkyrie I can see the advantages of longer travel suspension on our shit country roads... outside of Albany Hwy they are only getting worse. I would have needed a kidney belt on a sports bike - I'm getting too old to be bounced down the road like that anymore.
    I don't think sports tourers are dead yet, just changing with the times. Seems that buyers want more "sports" than "tour". Ninja thou and Ducati Supersport are both selling well. Both have been compared to the VFR800 and are regarded as better sport tourers. The VFR won all of the touring segments and even managed to out handle them both, but the extra power/lower weight of the Ninja & Ducati won the reviewers over.
    Kawasaki are about to launch a beast of a sports tourer, the H2 SX. Hyper tourer anyone? Plus the ZX-14r has been attractive to buyers as Tourers for some time with many getting bar spacers and luggage.

So it seems that the market for sports tourers is shifting, more sports and less tourer. Maybe we need a new genre, Super sport tourer? A super sport bike with a comfier seat, less aggressive seating position, pillion seat bigger than a postage stamp and maybe even some luggage you can add/remove as you see fit.

In that light, you can see why the VFR is over. Not enough sports and too much tourer for the changing market and why it's been overtaken by bikes such as the Ninja thou and Ducati ss.

Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    Yeah I think if the VFR1200 had been more like the new 800 it would have done better
    I test rode the VFR1200 before deciding on the 800. There is nothing wrong with the 1200, plenty of power and easy to ride as well as all the usual Honda traits you'd expect. Comparing the engines, the 1200 is a plain V4, no Vtec or cross plane. The 800 has charisma by the truck load in comparison. The induction sound, the vtec. Add the Akrapovic slip on and quick shifter and it really sounds amazing.
    The 1200 was a solid and true sports bike where as the 800 had a major identity crisis. You'd ride the VFR 800 with pillion, top box and panniers with a centre stand and sounding every bit like a super sports.
    Last edited by Cone Cat; 25-04-2018 at 06:00 PM.

Motorbike
    VJ22 RGV250, MC22 CBR250RR(R), CBR600RR, CBR1000RR Repsol
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    Hold on to your VFR800 Firestorms people, they're about to become valuable collectors items.

Edit: I didn't out an apostrophe there, stupid.
    VFR800s

or

Firestorms

not same
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thro View Post
    VFR800s

or

Firestorms

not same
    They're not both generic defunct motorcycles made by Honda which nobody will miss?

I was aiming for something like "Kawazuki" but in Honda parlance. I'll try to do better next time.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kawasaki are about to launch a beast of a sports tourer, the H2 SX. Hyper tourer anyone? Plus the ZX-14r has been attractive to buyers as Tourers for some time with many getting bar spacers and luggage.

So it seems that the market for sports tourers is shifting, more sports and less tourer. Maybe we need a new genre, Super sport tourer? A super sport bike with a comfier seat, less aggressive seating position, pillion seat bigger than a postage stamp and maybe even some luggage you can add/remove as you see fit.

Yeah something like say a CBR1100XX Blackbird The term Hyper Tourer has been around for a while now and covered bikes like the BB, Busa, ZX14, GTR1400, K1300GT

The 1200 was a solid and true sports bike where as the 800 had a major identity crisis. You'd ride the VFR 800 with pillion, top box and panniers with a centre stand and sounding every bit like a super sports.
    Most people seemed to think the VFR1200 was a "jack of all trades" but "master of none", trying to cover all the bases but falling short in most

It was sporty but not really aggressive enough, powerful enough or have good enough suspension to be a real "hypersports bike"

Also the riding position was a bit too aggressive, seat too small and hard, fairings too small and tank too small for the fuel consumption of the engine to be a real "sports tourer"

Plus a lot of people didn't like the styling and it was just way too expensive for what it was

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kawasaki are about to launch a beast of a sports tourer, the H2 SX.
    Already for sale in UK and USA so I've seen, MSRP $19k in the US - 256kg's so a couple more than a BB but 200HP is nice

Actually just looked and they're saying $34 516 ride away from Mack1, that is a big mark-up, nearly 10k over even the conversion rate from USD-AUD

In comparison the ZX-14R SE with Brembo's/Ohlin's is only $22 065 ride away, they really are taking the piss

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cost of larger capacity motorcycles is getting ridiculous IMO.
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast
    Likes sixofthebest liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BusaSteve View Post
    The cost of larger capacity motorcycles is getting ridiculous IMO.
    In some cases yes for sure but then I look back at the receipt for my TiBird that the original owner gave me with all the other receipts and the ride away price back in 98 was ~$21 000 so the ZX14R is not really that far out but nearly $35k for the Kwaka is getting stupid and nearly $45k for the standard H2 is just silly money

Liked
    339 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people seemed to think the VFR1200 was a "jack of all trades" but "master of none", trying to cover all the bases but falling short in most

It was sporty but not really aggressive enough, powerful enough or have good enough suspension to be a real "hypersports bike"

Also the riding position was a bit too aggressive, seat too small and hard, fairings too small and tank too small for the fuel consumption of the engine to be a real "sports tourer"

Plus a lot of people didn't like the styling and it was just way too expensive for what it was
    A lot of that was the British press trying to save face after predicting a V4/5 moto gp inspired fireblade that was going to be better and cheaper than everything else over a period of about 15 years. It finally happened at a price point that made a the Ducati Desmosedici look reasonable.
    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Motorbike
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nero Diablo View Post
    A lot of that was the British press trying to save face after predicting a V4/5 moto gp inspired fireblade that was going to be better and cheaper than everything else over a period of about 15 years. It finally happened at a price point that made a the Ducati Desmosedici look reasonable.
    Probably but I also saw a lot of people on some of the VFR forums saying the same thing, particularly in relation to the small fuel tank, thirsty motor and uncomfortable seat in relation to it for "touring"
    Certainly on the other side a lot of XX owners were disappointed that it's performance wasn't really much improved over the XX it was supposedly the replacement for hoping it would be at least similar in performance and handling to the Busa/ZX14

Motorbike
    Honda VFR 800 2016
    Liked
    42 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Already for sale in UK and USA so I've seen, MSRP $19k in the US - 256kg's so a couple more than a BB but 200HP is nice

Actually just looked and they're saying $34 516 ride away from Mack1, that is a big mark-up, nearly 10k over even the conversion rate from USD-AUD

In comparison the ZX-14R SE with Brembo's/Ohlin's is only $22 065 ride away, they really are taking the piss
    The other thing about the H2 SX is the high 835mm seat height. I don't think I'd like to be perched on it's 260kg frame, tippy toes each side, loaded panniers while A pillion climbs on board...

ZX-14r makes much better sense as you say. 800mm seat so flat foot each side while holding up it's 269kg's, ten grand cheaper to pay for the insurance and speeding tickets and according to the youtube reviews, it's not that much slower than the H2.
    Somebody disabled the speed limiter, upped the gearing and did the flying km on a salt lake @ 335kmh on one. I think that'd be quick enough for most people.

Probably but I also saw a lot of people on some of the VFR forums saying the same thing, particularly in relation to the small fuel tank, thirsty motor and uncomfortable seat in relation to it for "touring"
    Certainly on the other side a lot of XX owners were disappointed that it's performance wasn't really much improved over the XX it was supposedly the replacement for hoping it would be at least similar in performance and handling to the Busa/ZX14
    The 800 was far from perfect as well. *cough 230kmh top speed *cough, heavy clutch, woeful OEM tyres, abrupt wheelie & traction control (though can be switched off completely) and the annoying auto indicators.

Motorbike
    VFR800+Tenere660+Postie Bike
    Liked
    72 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, as an owner I'm a little disappointed but all good things come to an end, and VFR's were always a love hate proposition here I guess, mainly because of the strong lean towards "sports" bikes [ who about 95% of us can't use to anywhere near full capacity but that's another days argument..... ]

I'm lucky, I have several bikes, but if I wanted to jump on and ride through the hills to a pub, or slog to the airport and back for the work commute, or do one of 5 trips over east, I was always happy on my VFR, and I've no intention of getting rid of it. It's been utterly reliable, beautifully built and finished and a few minor gripes were never enough to bother me really.

As to the argument about boring Honda's , well they seem to sell an awful lot of them, it that a reflection more on the consumer than the manufacturer?
    Likes Thomas Peel liked this post

Motorbike
    VJ22 RGV250, MC22 CBR250RR(R), CBR600RR, CBR1000RR Repsol
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Peel View Post
    I really enjoy my VFR 1200f it was a great replacement for the ST1300.
    Shalf drive, great economy, good in corners,better brakes and a pleasure to ride.
    Tp.
    Whilst that's great if you're wanting something like an ST1300 (for which honda had... the ST1300).... Honda has (for the past 15-20 years) ignored the vast majority of it's sports bike customers who just want them to make a fucking v4 sports bike that doesn't cost $200,000-300,000

They could do it in the 80s and 90s. But not now apparently.

/me goes back to looking for an NC35
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Motorbike
    several
    Liked
    202 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IGS View Post
    They also did a 400cc V4 motor
    And the VFR 700 for the US market...a few of those appeared over here. Whoops, well, in NZ anyway.
    “The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. - W Churchill”

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thro View Post
    Whilst that's great if you're wanting something like an ST1300 (for which honda had... the ST1300).... Honda has (for the past 15-20 years) ignored the vast majority of it's sports bike customers who just want them to make a fucking v4 sports bike that doesn't cost $200,000-300,000

They could do it in the 80s and 90s. But not now apparently.

/me goes back to looking for an NC35
    NC 35 ?

RVF400RR ?

3 on gumtree...
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."