Triumph Trident
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got a Greyhound from the RSPCA shortly before Christmas, it was a community dog from Kalgoorlie and had already had a litter of pups. She has a tattoo in the ear which I guess means she could be bred as a a Greyhound, she's very small which makes me wonder?
    Maybe she was the run of the litter then went to "community" where she wasn't over fed and that along with the pregnancy stunted her growth, we'll probably never know. She's a lovely little dog and quite smart too...
    I still love Dobies and Great Danes.
    The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
    G T
    Likes ReCon liked this post

Motorbike
    Yamaha R15
    Liked
    2997 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Trident View Post
    She's a lovely little dog and quite smart too...
    I was quite impressed with the Greyhounds, they seemed so clever and so calm and the one we met had been racing so wasn't really trained for the normal day to day dog stuff but was still a perfect dog. Didn't jump, walked nicely on the lead, was very gentle and came when called. I have 2 Border Collies and I have been training the younger one for 3 years on this stuff and he still struggles.

Greyhounds are naturally just a great dog for the average person, but I think their size puts some people off perhaps? Outside of needing maybe a slightly larger crate/bed to normal they have all the attributes of a little old dog.

Motorbike
    RZ250
    Liked
    2138 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boeman View Post
    Outside of needing maybe a slightly larger crate/bed to normal they have all the attributes of a little old dog.
    No, it's called a sofa or lounge or bed. You don't home or host a Greyhound if you don't share the sofa
    Likes boeman, BOFH liked this post

Motorbike
    2009 V-Star 250
    Liked
    1372 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Toffee won't get in the car unless I pick her up and lift her in but has no problems getting on any sofa or bed...
    The correct number of bikes to own = N + 1, where N is the current number of bikes you own.

Motorbike
    98 R1 - Blue Goodness
    Liked
    17 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviving an old thread of sorts, but relevant.

Wife and I have wanted a dog for a while, really keen on a Boston Terrier but seem very hard to get.

We also think it would be good to have a rescue dog.

Reading this thread opened my eyes to that fact that Greyhounds are much more suitable for us than first thought.

We have a cat and she is a bit of a terror (12 years old too, doesn't like other cats or dogs) so we'd be worried that she will harm any dog we have and vice versa with a greyhound chasing said cat adding to the problem.

What is the go with most greyhounds you see need a muzzle? Trying to understand the reasoning behind that, is it only certain dogs that are prone to chase (assume that is what the reasoning is behind muzzle)?

How old are most of the greyhounds when they're re-homed, is 2 years about right (is that retirement age for racing)?
    Last edited by Mattis; 24-05-2018 at 12:51 PM.

"At the start of the season, you canít win the championship in the first round, but you can lose it.Ē - Travis Pastrana

"If your mind can conceive it then
    your hands can achieve it"- Nigel Petrie (Engineeredtoslide.com)

Motorbike
    Yamaha R15
    Liked
    2997 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattis View Post
    What is the go with most greyhounds you see need a muzzle? Trying to understand the reasoning behind that, is it only certain dogs that are prone to chase?

How old are most of the greyhounds when they're re-homed, is 2 years about right (is that retirement age for racing)?
    Others on here know more than myself, but the muzzle is a tad outdated. From what I learnt on the adoption day, the dogs now get GAP or something which is green collar approved so no muzzle necessary? Believe they get tested around small dogs and such to get this. The place in Southern River actually had small dogs running around and the greyhounds didnt seem to care, the boy we met loved them. Unsure on cat suitability but I know that some on the website have been tested with cats and are ok.

Average age unsure, but there was everything from 18months up to 7 or 8 when I was there.

Motorbike
    MT-09
    Liked
    88 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattis View Post

We have a cat and she is a bit of a terror (12 years old too, doesn't like other cats or dogs) so we'd be worried that she will harm any dog we have and vice versa with a greyhound chasing said cat adding to the problem.

What is the go with most greyhounds you see need a muzzle? Trying to understand the reasoning behind that, is it only certain dogs that are prone to chase (assume that is what the reasoning is behind muzzle)?

Most of the GAP dogs will say suitable with cats or other dogs or children etc.

Muzzles are indeed an outdated concept and GAP have been fighting their mandatory usage for years, but yes part of the reasoning is that they are instinctive chasers and coupled with the fact they can see up to 1km away and are so fast means that if they decide to go you'll never catch them before they've made a meal of whatever they're after. Guess this comes down to having the dog on the lead unless enclosed rather than a muzzle!

We adopted an old fella who was 10 and had been through a lot of abuse but he was not typical, most are 2-3 years although can be younger depending on if they were ever suitable for racing. Lovely creatures and cannot recommend enough!!

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mattis the age the greyhound retires is dependent on how successful at racing they are and/or if they were injured. Some have a strong chase instinct and these tend to be the successful racers.

The muzzle is a pretty good idea while you're getting to know your dog's behaviour in unfamiliar situations. This would include around a cat that's new. Confident cats have an excellent chance of becoming the boss, a timid cat has an excellent chance of being chased if it runs.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    2009 V-Star 250
    Liked
    1372 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mattis, I would obviously advise getting a grey, but be careful, my Toffee has a green collar but I am starting to think about getting her a muzzle. GAP are really amazing, they will find you the best dog for your situation and usually foster to adopt. If the dog doesn't work out you can try another, they try to fit the dog to the home. Most ex racers are 18 months - 3 years. Some have poor dental health because of the high protein diet trainers give them, check their teeth before signing anything. Some have behavioural problems but this isn't such an issue with GAP, GAWA are less selective about the dogs they adopt out.
    The correct number of bikes to own = N + 1, where N is the current number of bikes you own.

Motorbike
    RZ250
    Liked
    2138 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just signed up to foster rescued Bull Terriers. Having had them as a family pet for the past 20 years gives me some history and our current lad would love some company.

Like Greyhounds they are often misunderstood and maligned (usually due to fucked-up "owners" using them as a machismo badge) - but like all dogs, they just want to be loved and to love back.

There is a great doco on Netflix called "The Champions" which gives a great insight into a dog's nature, even those labelled irredeemable.

Motorbike
    98 R1 - Blue Goodness
    Liked
    17 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the feedback and info, missus and I spoke about it further and are definitely keen to look into it further.

I've been reading the GAP website and it does seem to contain lots of helpful info about the breed. Probably the biggest hurdle will be finding a dog that fits in with our cat (but that is going to be the case with any dog we get), but it sounds like GAP work hard to find the right dog that fits with us.

My wife also found another place called "Greyhound Adoptions WA" which seem to offer a similar service and have a few adoption day events: http://greyhoundadoptionswa.com.au/coming-events/

"At the start of the season, you canít win the championship in the first round, but you can lose it.Ē - Travis Pastrana

"If your mind can conceive it then
    your hands can achieve it"- Nigel Petrie (Engineeredtoslide.com)

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mattis I highly recommend GAP.

Dogs adopted from GAP come with a green collar - no muzzles from the moment you adopt them (fostered dogs still need them). Dogs from elsewhere need to be checked in to GAP for a 2 day assessment at your cost in order to get the green collar.

They're also really good about allowing you to choose a type of dog, e.g. I asked for a big, blue male as my first one.

They're a bigger organisation due to being funded by the Government / Racing Industry as a means to ensure retired greyhounds find homes.

And they're pretty great about allowing you to swap a dog over. Eg if you happen to get a dog that doesn't get along with your cat.

I've met beautiful animals from each of the rescue agencies and there are positive and negative stories about each of the different organisations, however from the sheer numbers of animals that GAP rehome with excellent results (including my own), I couldn't recommend them enough.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes BOFH liked this post

Motorbike
    Yamaha R15
    Liked
    2997 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skut View Post
    Just signed up to foster rescued Bull Terriers. Having had them as a family pet for the past 20 years gives me some history and our current lad would love some company.

Like Greyhounds they are often misunderstood and maligned (usually due to fucked-up "owners" using them as a machismo badge) - but like all dogs, they just want to be loved and to love back.

There is a great doco on Netflix called "The Champions" which gives a great insight into a dog's nature, even those labelled irredeemable.
    One of the few neighbours I chat to a bit has two bull terriers and 3 kids between 4 an 9.

see the kids with them all the time and they are much more gentle than most other breeds. He enforces the stereotype a bit, big bogan guy, but him and his family are super nice and very responsible dog owners. Always on leads, picks up after them and they have jackets on in winter.

No point to this story, other than agreeing that a lot of breeds have unfairly inherited bad reputations as the looks of the dog have enticed guys with little dicks to buy them and make them "tough". Rottweilers, Bull Terriers, Dobermans, Staffordshire Terriers and so on. All great dogs and family pets.
    Likes Skut liked this post