User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Got pulled over and fined by a motorcycle police officer this morning, help!

Motorbike
    Liked
    5260 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading the actual law, not what you heard at the pub, or what Bob said, is very helpful...

Technically I reckon he could get off...

Keeping a safe distance when overtaking
    A driver overtaking a vehicle —
    (a) shall pass the vehicle at a sufficient distance to avoid a collision with that vehicle or to avoid obstructing the path of that vehicle; and
    (b) shall not return to the marked lane or line of traffic where the vehicle is travelling until the driver is a sufficient distance past that vehicle to avoid a collision with that vehicle or to avoid obstructing the path of that vehicle.

- - - Updated - - -

I expect having a low penalty on this, and other laws, stops people challenging them...
    Likes -JC- liked this post

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread has certainly gained some traction.....

Is the suggestion that OP takes it to court..?

The cops have been nut kicked by the failed new speed camera....and that alone would make 'em cunts to deal with...due to loss of face ANNNNDDDD revenue..

They'll probably have the shits on with everyone,after having to handback the bonuses they get from making quota..

Oh Wai....I'll just get a comfy seat and some popcorn.... play on..
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."
    Likes shaunzorr liked this post

Motorbike
    94 cbr1000f
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graelin View Post
    "Come in and see us" ah the hour glass, yes don't you worry we will claim costs against the police on winning. At the first mention you go and tell the beak - sorry, magistrate that your legal representative can't be here today and has instructed you to plead Not Guilty!" "Yes they will set down a hearing and come and see me just before this hearing.

At second meeting with your legal representative "Ah well with this and that and maybe this we may have an issue." What say you change your plea to Guilty and I will be pleased to present a summary of mitigating circumstances on your behalf." "Now tell me about your upbringing, play Aussie rules by any chance

"Well we gave them a scare" evil laugh "got you off with fifty dollars plus court costs you did real well." The bill don't worry it's in the mail. Let me know if you need more representation?

Are you ready to play the game?

Yep that’s pretty much how it would go. Lmfao 😂😂

Motorbike
    Few different breeds
    Liked
    207 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunzorr View Post
    40ish I was going 60-65
    Therein lies your problem of getting a cop interested in pulling you up.
    Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wahoo!! What a ride!"

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, Speedmaster 865, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP should hire Lloyd rayney for his $100 fine at $1000 a hour, those cops will wish they never gave him a tiny fine for splitting lol
    "Fuck Network 10, I hope the entire board of directors die in a house fire. "

Motorbike
    fast ones
    Liked
    406 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You failed the attitude test.

I like teasing the cops and will often pass them doing a couple kilometers an hour over the limit.
    “How people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.”

Motorbike
    Few different breeds
    Liked
    207 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich... View Post
    Reading the actual law, not what you heard at the pub, or what Bob said, is very helpful...

Technically I reckon he could get off...

Keeping a safe distance when overtaking
    A driver overtaking a vehicle —
    (a) shall pass the vehicle at a sufficient distance to avoid a collision with that vehicle or to avoid obstructing the path of that vehicle; and
    (b) shall not return to the marked lane or line of traffic where the vehicle is travelling until the driver is a sufficient distance past that vehicle to avoid a collision with that vehicle or to avoid obstructing the path of that vehicle.

- - - Updated - - -

I expect having a low penalty on this, and other laws, stops people challenging them...
    The problem with law is that it is subjective until tested.
    As the cop stated you were too close, the debate will be about distance. The debate in court will be pairing the statement made with the cops with the law and deciding what "...a sufficient distance to avoid a collision with that vehicle or to avoid obstructing the path of that vehicle" is.
    It will be harder to argue if a specific distance of how close he was was not given on his fine. If it is finally decided that 1 metre is "sufficient", it will then be claimed that he was 0.9 metres from the car. It will then be decided that splitting/filtering is not possible on some roads as there is not enough room to fit a vehicle and 1 metre each side.
    Law is about wording detail, not about fairness or justice.
    Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wahoo!! What a ride!"

Motorbike
    1988 GSF250P, 2010 Z1000, 2013 Z800
    Liked
    423 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he gives me a $100 fine; probably because I was an asshole to him but ................ didn't like my attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bean View Post
    You failed the attitude test.
    ding ding ding ding ding we have a winner!

You'll be surprised where being polite and respectful can get you. I swallow my pride and it gets me out of tickets. Sometimes you absolutely can't win cos the guys a cunt, but it's damn well worth a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by boeman View Post
    Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, Speedmaster 865, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is terrible advice... being nice fuck that, stir the cunts up as much as possible

prob why i have had 10's of thousands of dollars in fines over the years
    "Fuck Network 10, I hope the entire board of directors die in a house fire. "

Motorbike
    Liked
    423 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think of it this way, I pretend I'm a traffic cop, someone is doing something technically illegal and possibly dangerious, has a dodgy automobile, doesn't really matter what. I light them up, pull them over and start talking to them and they are being a defensive/agressive/rude. "I didn't do anything wrong!?!?! what are you talking about?!?!! I do this every day?!?!?! have you got nothing better to do?!?!?!" etc - I'd probably have given you a ticket too. Putting on anything less than a polite, respectful, perhaps a bit playful attitude serves ONLY to worsen your chances.
    Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

Likes Morgs, jlenard, wheel_of_steell, Wahoo liked this post

Motorbike
    Honda VFR 800 2016
    Liked
    42 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that if you follow the victorian laws, that is don't go over 30kmh, you should be ok.

I don't ride the freeway, I stick to the rat runs and dual carriage ways so I encounter plenty of traffic light queues and if your a regular filterer, you'll end up rolling past a cop car eventually.
    I've pulled up at the front of the lights alongside cop cars, even alongside a cop bike and had a bike cop filtering behind me looking for texters, never been told off or ticketed for filtering.
    The cop I pulled up alongside was more interested in general chat than me filtering up along side him.

As long as you filter and do it safely in the eyes of the cops, they'll usually leave you alone.
    No guarantee's against an asshole cop who is low on their monthly quota, but I'd rather risk a $100 fine than risk being rear ended by a texting moron while stationary at the back of the queue.
    Likes BillyBoof liked this post

Motorbike
    2013 Yamaha XJ6N
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone Cat View Post
    I think that if you follow the victorian laws, that is don't go over 30kmh, you should be ok.

I don't ride the freeway, I stick to the rat runs and dual carriage ways so I encounter plenty of traffic light queues and if your a regular filterer, you'll end up rolling past a cop car eventually.
    I've pulled up at the front of the lights alongside cop cars, even alongside a cop bike and had a bike cop filtering behind me looking for texters, never been told off or ticketed for filtering.
    The cop I pulled up alongside was more interested in general chat than me filtering up along side him.

As long as you filter and do it safely in the eyes of the cops, they'll usually leave you alone.
    No guarantee's against an asshole cop who is low on their monthly quota, but I'd rather risk a $100 fine than risk being rear ended by a texting moron while stationary at the back of the queue.
    I have filtered past cop cars and bikes both in and out of traffic on and off the freeway many times before in the same manner and never even had a second glance at me which is why when I saw this cop just sitting in the emergency I assumed he would not bother with me. Otherwise I would've pretended to be a car which I will now do in the future haha.

Motorbike
    Ducati
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillz View Post
    this is terrible advice... being nice fuck that, stir the cunts up as much as possible

prob why i have had 10's of thousands of dollars in fines over the years
    😅 you have an expensive hobby

I’d rather spend that $10k on performance mods or holidays
    Likes Wahoo, marras liked this post

Motorbike
    2013 Yamaha XJ6N
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
    I think of it this way, I pretend I'm a traffic cop, someone is doing something technically illegal and possibly dangerious, has a dodgy automobile, doesn't really matter what. I light them up, pull them over and start talking to them and they are being a defensive/agressive/rude. "I didn't do anything wrong!?!?! what are you talking about?!?!! I do this every day?!?!?! have you got nothing better to do?!?!?!" etc - I'd probably have given you a ticket too. Putting on anything less than a polite, respectful, perhaps a bit playful attitude serves ONLY to worsen your chances.
    This is no where near how I spoke to the guy, I was far from polite and respectful but I did not ramble on about me paying his salary, doing nothing wrong or him going after 'the real criminals' haha.

It is common knowledge sucking up a cops ass can in some instances save you a ticket but on this particular occasion I wasn't going to play that game.

Motorbike
    Liked
    423 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is no where near how I spoke to the guy, I was far from polite and respectful but I did not ramble on about me paying his salary, doing nothing wrong or him going after 'the real criminals' haha.

It is common knowledge sucking up a cops ass can in some instances save you a ticket but on this particular occasion I wasn't going to play that game.
    Naturally, they were example quotes, I don't know what you said, but you admit to being 'far from police and respectful'.

It's your choice not to play the game, all I'm saying is for me I think it's entirely worth being nice to a cop (no matter his attitude) for 3 minutes to possibly save money, dunno about anyone else but I prefer not giving it away so much I'll eat my pride and play the game. Again it's clearly not a gauarntee you'll get out of a ticket, sometimes you have no chance of that.
    Last edited by frenchie; 09-05-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Likes FJ Steve liked this post

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only given shit when I knew I was getting a ticket anyway as he was clearly a hardnose enforcer of arbitrary speed limits - was outside Mt Lawley ECU, probs doing 80 in a 60. Conversation went like this:
    Cop: <issuing ticket>
    Me: I hope you can sleep at night issuing tickets for enforcing an arbitrary speed limit
    Cop: yes I can
    Me: well so can I
    <other exchanges>
    Cop: you should probably get on your way (translation: before I ping you for something else)
    Me: rides off sedately so as not to invoke the wrath of the aftermarket exhaust police

I always take off my helmet and am polite except for Constable Tosspot above. Has worked well so far and remains my only one-on-one cop encounter where I've got a fine - but I was getting one anyway.

Motorbike
    2003 R6 Road bike; 2008 R6 Race bike
    Liked
    154 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Splitting at over 30 is different to 'overtaking within a lane'.

'overtaking within a lane' isn't illegal, just hard to do without infringing on other rules...
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone."

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeBloke View Post
    Splitting at over 30 is different to 'overtaking within a lane'.
    Both are legal providing the speed limit is 30 or above.

What rule are you breaking if you're splitting within the lane on the freeway at 100km/h when the traffic is: stationary; 20km/h; 80km/h??
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by agrid View Post
    I was a bit pissed off the the other day. The only place where I filter in a dodgy situation is at the end of Berwick St at Canning Highway where the road ends and goes left or right. I split to the front and turn right with the traffic. The other day I am making my move and there is a paddy wagon three cars from the front. So I subtly turn on my left indicator and go that way pretending it was my plan all along. Some guy on a shitty Kymco with the guts pulled out of his muffler comes up the middle and turns right in front of the coppers. The donut shop must have been closing because they did nothing at all while I had to risk life and limb doing a u-turn over the island on Canning Hwy during peak hour.
    You do know that crossing the island is 2 demerits but crossing the island and going back to pass traffic is 3 points. Turns out that if you do it on one wheel they only give you 3 points as well. Bonus!
    We have a gene for gossip.
    We have a gene for superstition.
    We have a gene for jumping to conclusions and making fools of ourselves
    but we have no gene for science.
    Michio Kaka on "Buttpower"

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    You do know that crossing the island is 2 demerits but crossing the island and going back to pass traffic is 3 points. Turns out that if you do it on one wheel they only give you 3 points as well. Bonus!
    Discounts for multiple violations?! And people say the Police aren't reasonable, pfft.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes AZAZL liked this post