User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What made you decide to start motorcycling?

Motorbike
    Honda VFR 800 2016
    Liked
    42 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two fractured bones in my left foot.

Owning a manual shift car (1995) and a job where I sat at a bench most of the day repairing stuff, somebody suggested I could buy a 50cc scooter to get to and from work. Awsome fellow work mates even helped out, carrying TV's to and from my work bench and even parking/rolling the little Honda Dio 50cc scooter to the door so I didn't have to hobble as far when I arrived/time to go home.

I planned to sell the scoot once my tootsie was healed, but I never did. It stuck around living on the patio, coming out every now and then for a run to the shops, fun squirt around the burb or another stint of busted tootsies.
    Roll on to the day I stripped my car down to the shell for a full rebuild that took 10 months, the little 50cc scooter became my primary transport. I ended up doing 56k on it total, finally getting rid of it the second time it lunched the piston.
    You think I progressed to motorcycles at that point? Not quite. Bought another 50cc scoot, a Bowell Jolie for another 11k before the urge to upgrade hit. A motorbike? Well, I actually planned to get a bigger scooter. One sunny day, 70kmh northbound on west coast highway riding the instructors CB250, that's when I decided I'd get a motorcycle.

Your probably wondering why I rode and wanted a scooter over a motorcycle? I have a problem with my feet. Fractures, breaks and sprains are a common event for myself so the appeal of a twist and go is hard to ignore for when your foot/feet aren't up to the task of pushing the pedals in a car or brakes/gears on a bike.

Buying a bike was probably a bad idea given my condition, because there has been times where I haven't been able to ride/drive even an auto car but could have ridden a scoot.
    Necessity is the mother of invention though. I've worked out that I can wrap my feet up and wear a pair of calf high motorcycle boots and manage to ride a bike and walk. Just, ignore the language when I'm pulling the boots on........

In hindsight, yep, wish I got the urge to get a motorcycle earlier.
    Last edited by Cone Cat; 03-07-2018 at 09:12 PM.
    Likes dwillia, Heretic liked this post

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone Cat View Post
    Your probably wondering why I rode and wanted a scooter over a motorcycle? I have a problem with my feet. Fractures, breaks and sprains are a common event for myself so the appeal of a twist and go is hard to ignore for when your foot/feet aren't up to the task of pushing the pedals in a car or brakes/gears on a bike.

Buying a bike was probably a bad idea given my condition, because there has been times where I haven't been able to ride/drive even an auto car but could have ridden a scoot.
    Necessity is the mother of invention though. I've worked out that I can wrap my feet up and wear a pair of calf high motorcycle boots and manage to ride a bike and walk. Just, ignore the language when I'm pulling the boots on........

Maybe you should have looked at the VFR1200 DCT, no need to shift with your foot just use the push buttons/paddle shift

The other alternative is to fit a Quickshifter to do the same thing One of the older members on here that went by the handle "Insane" on here and OzVFR had a RWB VFR Vtech he fitted with a QS due to a major foot/ankle injury before he bought a VFR1200 DCT when they came out
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    Aprilia SXV550, KTM250EXC-F & Kawasaki Balius
    Liked
    3434 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was all about women.

After motorbikes, there was no money left for women.

One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Motorbike
    Honda CBR 1000 RR. CBR 600 RR track
    Liked
    695 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two fractured bones in my left foot.

Owning a manual shift car (1995) and a job where I sat at a bench most of the day repairing stuff, somebody suggested I could buy a 50cc scooter to get to and from work. Awsome fellow work mates even helped out, carrying TV's to and from my work bench and even parking/rolling the little Honda Dio 50cc scooter to the door so I didn't have to hobble as far when I arrived/time to go home.

I planned to sell the scoot once my tootsie was healed, but I never did. It stuck around living on the patio, coming out every now and then for a run to the shops, fun squirt around the burb or another stint of busted tootsies.
    Roll on to the day I stripped my car down to the shell for a full rebuild that took 10 months, the little 50cc scooter became my primary transport. I ended up doing 56k on it total, finally getting rid of it the second time it lunched the piston.
    You think I progressed to motorcycles at that point? Not quite. Bought another 50cc scoot, a Bowell Jolie for another 11k before the urge to upgrade hit. A motorbike? Well, I actually planned to get a bigger scooter. One sunny day, 70kmh northbound on west coast highway riding the instructors CB250, that's when I decided I'd get a motorcycle.

I got a,few mates who are paraplegics and they converted their racebikes to airshifter...another option to look into. Not a hard conversion either
    SP RACINGis supported by:
    MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
    Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
    Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

second hole down from the back of her neck
    Motorbike
    honestly, it's just a bruise....
    Liked
    1372 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Bitches get wet over bikes and wheelies give them a huge wide-on.
    And its the only way i can wear leather at the pub and not be hit on by dudes.
    yes, i am ignorant
    yes, i am a prick
    no, i don't care
    you make me sick
    Likes =Maz=, paulie803, DQ, Mr Bean liked this post

Motorbike
    KTM 390 Duke | KTM 250 EXC-F
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shortSteve View Post
    Bitches get wet over bikes and wheelies give them a huge wide-on.
    And its the only way i can wear leather at the pub and not be hit on by dudes.
    I've had the exact opposite experience. The ladies aren't interested, I only attract dudes.

Motorbike
    Few different breeds
    Liked
    207 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nos View Post
    I've had the exact opposite experience. The ladies aren't interested, I only attract dudes.

TMI
    Last edited by Wahoo; 07-07-2018 at 08:59 AM.
    Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wahoo!! What a ride!"

Motorbike
    2018 MT10 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lets get a NSFW on this!!

- - - Updated - - -

lilbono will get an unwanted and unexpected erection

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a kid I was always drawn to green kwaka ninjas - I didn't know what sort of bike they were but they stood out like dogs balls and I always thought I'd have one.

I'd always wanted to ride and started having lessons at about 22. When I decided to buy a house I stopped the lessons. I was living at home and riding was a no-no from my mum so lessons were on the sly. Got the typical, "if you get a bike you'll get kicked out of home" etc.

I bought a house and needed a fairly substantial deposit as I couldn't get the full value of the loan as I wasn't considered full time at Curtin Uni by the banks. It was quite fortuitous that the settlement period was about 3 months so I worked 2 full time jobs and a casual one to get the deposit together. Not so fortuitously I suffered burn out and depression as a result (though it hit after house settlement). I rented my house out for 6 months before moving in and still suffering burnout and depression I thought "fuck it, I'm getting a bike". I bought a silver/white and blue kwaka ZZR250 (not green!). My tenant was cool so I kept it around there. I decided to tell my folks after about 3 months and explained that it was actually a need, not just a want and they let me bring it home. My depression got a bit better after that

I didn't really fall in love with riding for about 4 or 5 years and once the bug bit, it bit hard. I loved the learning, understanding and reflective process that goes with riding a bike... and of course the freedom and the dick-ish IDGAF factor that riding a bike enables. The desire to get better, faster. The fact that you are truly in the moment and free of worries because if you're not focused, you're dead.

I never did own a green kwaka ninja, and likely never will, but it was such a iconic bike to a wide-eyed impressionable tomboy-like kid. I've owned more bikes than I've had hot dinners and I wouldn't change a thing. 2008 to 2012 where bikes were my life, were some of the best times of my life <3
    Likes shortSteve, dwillia, Cone Cat liked this post

Liked
    5 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode on the tank of my dad's motorcycle as a nipper and pillion with our neighbours as often as they'd let me.

As soon as I was eligible for a licence I did the theory test and got my L's. Was an apprentice tradie and as any deity you choose as my witness every time I got motivated to get lessons I saw a motorcycle accident. No shit. Spooked the fuck out of me. Also I would have become a statistic. So much anger back then, listen to your gut angry man.

Enter midlife crisis, got a fat Harley and tassles. Couldn't be happier. Weir road and coffee at the pub, always doing the speed limit ftw!

We'll, yeah.

Motorbike
    2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recall being a little kid and always seeing bikes as the fast, noisy exciting things that people were clearly enjoying life on.

I used to be allowed to stay up late and watch the 500/250 and 125GPs and can recall Wayne Gardner's PI win for the championship, being only 9 at the time. Looking through the the riders of the time, many of the names pop up today as team owners or as the father's of current riders. For a little while I stopped watching after witnessing Rainey's career ending crash, not being able to fully process it at the time. But it was a short lived hiatus and fairly soon I was following with keen interest the likes of Doohan and Biaggi dominate their classes and the start of Rossi's career.

I was fascinated by the technology and their seeming ability to defy my understanding of physics. The iconic Rothman's, West, HB, Lucky Strike and Marlboro livery were the stuff of motorsport legend (as I also followed Group C and F1) and spent all my pocket money on buying the model kits of the bikes I saw on TV.

One day, early 90's maybe, I witnessed a what I would later learn was probably a ZXR750 and FZR1000 having a drag race from a set of lights, open exhausts blaring and front wheels lifting off the ground, something I instantly knew I wanted to do. Suddenly it didn't feel like it was only famous people on TV were riding fast, this was something accessible to the general public. This was now something I must do in my life.

My parents never got me onto two wheels and I never had a dirt bike despite my begging (the cunts). And it wasn't until I was out of home, I finally went and did my learners, got my license and bought a shitty ZZR250. I was crap, I knew nothing, but thought I was Rossi. A dangerous combination. But only dropped it the one time in my 10th month of riding on a greasy corner, the bike was on the ground and I was on my ass sliding towards the street island before I could even process what was going on. It would be nearly 14 years until the next time I threw a bike down the road.

Then came bigger bikes, a ZX6R which I did 98,000km on in 18months, learnt how to do wheelies on (and stoppies), and the realisation that sports bikes are not an economical form of transport as tyres and servicing costs added up quick. But I learnt a massive amount, riding with more experienced riders and trying to keep up, then keeping up and then running mid pack within the group, I also rode in all manner of shitty weather.

Then an R1 and the speeds got higher, the wheelies longer and the insurance premiums higher.

Then my beloved 2005 R1 and a mental few years tear arsing around the streets with like minded PSB lunatics leading group rides and often serving up slower riders as sacrifices to the police while we got away.

Then came the dark times, of emperor Barnett and Oberst Sturmführer Dorrington, who only took his tongue out of his bosses arse to sprout hate against Perth riders, which finally lead to the Gestapo-esque crack down on people enjoying life on the roads.

Now I jump at shadows.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes shortSteve, AZAZL, Known, Stephan, Hillz and 3 others liked this post

Motorbike
    Honda VFR 800 2016
    Liked
    42 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    The other alternative is to fit a Quickshifter to do the same thing One of the older members on here that went by the handle "Insane" on here and OzVFR had a RWB VFR Vtech he fitted with a QS due to a major foot/ankle injury before he bought a VFR1200 DCT when they came out
    OEM accessory on the 8th Generation VFR 800f. Works a treat.

When I bought my VFR, I did check out the 1200's, but in late 2016 all of the DCT's where long gone, I suspect snapped up by people with feet problems.

Quote Originally Posted by dwillia View Post
    lets get a NSFW on this!!
    Not Safe For Women??
    Last edited by Cone Cat; 07-07-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Motorbike
    1 person powered treadly these days
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Born and bred, my dad has had bikes since he was 17.

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Number 162 is my grand dad from 1922.

-
    Likes N/A liked this post

Motorbike
    Sadly only 1 Gixxer now :(
    Liked
    1579 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by agrid View Post
    Number 162 is my grand dad from 1922.

Thanks for that, gives me an idea of when my grand dad and his mates registered their bikes, even earlier Though I think their's is A for Albany

Motorbike
    Bandit 1200S
    Liked
    69 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...there has been times where I haven't been able to ride/drive even an auto car but could have ridden a scoot.

Aside from twist and go scoots, and DCT bikes, and airshifters, and quickshifters,

...you also have suicide shifters. Although I couldn't recommend the bike that this shifter is attached to.
    Quote Originally Posted by devolved
    I just crashed into a schoolbus full of kiddies, killed them all, raped them, set them on fire and now I'm pissing on their charred remains.

Motorbike
    honda CBR1100xx norton commando 850
    Liked
    85 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    I recall being a little kid and always seeing bikes as the fast, noisy exciting things that people were clearly enjoying life on.

I used to be allowed to stay up late and watch the 500/250 and 125GPs and can recall Wayne Gardner's PI win for the championship, being only 9 at the time. Looking through the the riders of the time, many of the names pop up today as team owners or as the father's of current riders. For a little while I stopped watching after witnessing Rainey's career ending crash, not being able to fully process it at the time. But it was a short lived hiatus and fairly soon I was following with keen interest the likes of Doohan and Biaggi dominate their classes and the start of Rossi's career.

I was fascinated by the technology and their seeming ability to defy my understanding of physics. The iconic Rothman's, West, HB, Lucky Strike and Marlboro livery were the stuff of motorsport legend (as I also followed Group C and F1) and spent all my pocket money on buying the model kits of the bikes I saw on TV.

One day, early 90's maybe, I witnessed a what I would later learn was probably a ZXR750 and FZR1000 having a drag race from a set of lights, open exhausts blaring and front wheels lifting off the ground, something I instantly knew I wanted to do. Suddenly it didn't feel like it was only famous people on TV were riding fast, this was something accessible to the general public. This was now something I must do in my life.

My parents never got me onto two wheels and I never had a dirt bike despite my begging (the cunts).
    Up until this point I have the same story almost exactly, we are the same age apparently. When I was 15 my old man took me to to my first road race meeting, it was the 1995 national historic championships at lakeside raceway in Brisbane. I fell in love with old British bikes that day after walking through the public parking area and seeing my first triumph bonneville up close. The next year I caught a bus back down to the same track by myself to see the shell advance superbike series and went home with enough autographed posters to wallpaper my bedroom. Racing was the only ambition I had in life.
    I was 27 when I finally was able to achieve that but unfortunately due to old injuries and no budget it only lasted 2 seasons but at least I did it.
    Road riding and big group rides have never really been exciting, its just the next best thing .

Liked
    423 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dad still rode his motorbike at around the time I was a teenage young lady and finding less and less common interests, I was getting out of the house a lot more but I respected him and wanted something to bond over and for him to respect me.

I rode over his foot on one of our lessons, and took out the back asbestos fence in another (he got out of the way just in time), so I think we know who the real winner is.
    I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. Well maybe not to the death, I have this thing on Wednesday. But I'll give an accurate description of your assailant to the police. Over the phone. I'm not leaving a name.
    Likes keys liked this post