User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What made you decide to start motorcycling?

Motorbike
    Bandit 1200S
    Liked
    69 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What made you decide to start motorcycling?

Just curious. There's a pretty diverse crowd here on PSB. What was it, that made you decide to take up the risky/expensive/antisocial sport of murdercycling?

Did a friend ride a kickass motorbike that you thought was cool?
    Did you watch 'long way round' a few too many times?
    Already interested in mechanical stuff and bikes are part of that?
    Is it just the entry ticket to join the gypsy jokers?
    Or just a good excuse to wear assless chaps...

Aside from the last reason, for me it was my friend taking a younger wheel_of_steell for a VERY irresponsible hoon on the back of his zzr600. I'd never even been in a fast car before, and that 10-15 minute blast had me laughing and crying at the same time. I was blown away, pretty scared, but also convinced this was something I had to try for myself. Never looked back from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by devolved
    I just crashed into a schoolbus full of kiddies, killed them all, raped them, set them on fire and now I'm pissing on their charred remains.
    Likes Green Trident, Graelin, BillyBoof liked this post

Motorbike
    FS570 El Bergo, CB1R El Bango
    Liked
    820 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Watching Anthony Gobert's double victory at PI in 1996...

Went out the very next day to HH and bought an AGV Gobert replica before I even had my learner's permit

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Rest in Peace
    Brother Ryad
    Likes Graelin liked this post

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The need to get from A to B on apprentice wages forced me into 250cc commuting in the late 80s.

Motorbike
    Gpx 250 suzuki bandit 1250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    me. always wanted to get on a motorbike but never really had the motivation.
    allways rode bikes around the farm in kojonup and wagin.

wasnt until i lost my licence for an extended period and couldnt afford the car rego that gave me the push to jump on a bike and havent looked back since.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraletic View Post
    little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Motorbike
    -
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Dad, a long time rider, was diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer. The following day I got my learners, booked my first lesson and passed my R-E a few weeks later. (I had ridden a dirt bike around the bush as a teen, always planned to get my license and a road bike but never got around to it)

Sadly, his condition didn't improve enough for him to be able to get back on his bike again.

My own real life example of why you shouldn't put things off.

Motorbike
    Yamaha R15
    Liked
    2997 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water pig View Post
    late 80s.
    Spotto.

For me, my old man retired and started doing trips with his high school buddies. Around Australia, across the USA and so on. I got a bike so we could ride together.

Motorbike
    An invisible one
    Liked
    278 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    apart from always mucking around on quads and farm bikes

#1 - street parking and carpark prices in west perth vs free parking for bikes in the building I was in at the time
    #2 - Too heavy to ride a 50cc scooter
    #3 - Was hoping all the wimmens would be lining the streets to throw panties at me, in reality its the grannies with the garden hose

turns out I just fucking enjoyed it and enjoyed a clarity of thought while riding I don't currently get to experience

Quote Originally Posted by boeman View Post
    Spotto.

For me, my old man retired and started doing trips with his high school buddies. Around Australia, across the USA and so on. I got a bike so we could ride together.
    And this is my long term dream with my two boys
    Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"
    Likes Wahoo, Graelin liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, Speedmaster 865, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was born a rider, the old man had road, dirt & a shop before i was born. it was inevitable, even since i left school all i have done is one job in the motorcycle industry.. i did get a job as a parts guy at CJD once but got scared of change & didnt take it lol

rode dirt all my life, only in recent years did i discover the joys of riding on the street :-)
    "Fuck Network 10, I hope the entire board of directors die in a house fire. "
    Likes CbrRider81, Graelin liked this post

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Dad was a Hoon.
    I decided to improve the family reputation.
    Likes Graelin, thro liked this post

Motorbike
    Hot tub SRAD time machine
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad and my uncles had original WLA Harleys and Indians from WW2, salvaged from when the yanks stationed at the Catalina base just parked them up and went home. Some of my earliest memories are being down in the work shed and "helping" him rebuilding them at night. Loved it. Learnt to ride around age 7-8.

It was never a decision, it just kinda happenned It would have been a decision NOT to motorcycle
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -
    Likes N/A, Creme, Graelin, ReCon, saltbush liked this post

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My father had always had various MC's off and on from when I was a very small boy mainly because he wasn't particularly skilled so they were a cheap 2nd mode of transport
    I occasionally got a ride round the block as pillion which was nice but never really made me "desire" a MC

Wasn't really till my late teens when my younger brother and his mate had gotten old MX bikes to ride in the pines that I got one to join them that I really developed an enjoyment of riding

Did the dirt bike thing for a few years even after having a car licence which again I only really got out of necessity that I started to develop an interest in riding a bike on the road

Originally wanted an XR600 to combine the off-road and road but the 250cc restriction stopped that and an XR250 was too small and under sprung for my size so ended up buying my first XS250RK which I had intended only to own for the year till I got a bigger licence but ended up having and riding the shit out of for 3 odd years because I couldn't afford to upgrade

Replaced that with an 83 CB750F with 900 motor which again I had for many years, doing over 100k on and crashing/fixing a few times until the last crash when it got sold off as I'd just met my missus and couldn't afford the time and money to fix it

Fast forward ~10 years and with a change of job and longer distances to work with an expensive to run vehicle (79 F100 with worked 351C) and the missus being bike friendly and knowing how much I wanted a bike again urged me to get one to "commute" on, don't think she expected me to get a bike like the Bird though
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My grandfather is a Meanie and would always ride around winding up the cops on his Green klackazaki. I decided to follow in his footsteps, but with Euro bikes because they're better than Jap Crap
    Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.
    Likes Green Trident liked this post

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At 14 yrs I rode a push bike. A friend gave me a ride around the village rose gardens on his BSA Bantam. It was thrilling a lovely little tar seal circuit that allowed foot peg scraping. I was hooked I soon bought that Bantam, I read up everything I could find on riding and sat my licence at 15. I was addicted. For all those that grizzle about riding a 250 for a first bike the Bantam was good for around 65 kph tail wind down hill.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    My grandfather is a Meanie and would always ride around winding up the cops on his Green klackazaki. I decided to follow in his footsteps, but with Euro bikes because they're better than Jap Crap
    Your Grand Father is a Green Meanie and destroyed one cops sense of humour that I know of.
    Last edited by Graelin; 23-05-2018 at 04:47 PM.
    Likes N/A liked this post

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graelin View Post

Your Grand Father is a Green Meanie and destroyed one cops sense of humour that I know of.
    Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.

Motorbike
    Liked
    5260 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first ride at 4 years old hooked me...

Then it was just a natural progression of riding more powerful dirt bikes till I was 16 when I legally started road riding on a moped...

Then a natural progression of more powerful road bikes...

Motorbike
    94 cbr1000f
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was never a choice really loved bikes and cars as far back as I can remember. Born to ride. My dad had a sr250 that I use to sit on the tank and go to the shops with him most sundays my uncle ex Mc member had countless Harley’s my other uncle owned a Kwaka dear Lee ship for a while. Pretty much all my riding life has been on dirtsquirters with the odd road bike in between until I moved up to the city it made sense to get a road bike. I guess it was inevitable that I ended up on a bike and I would never change got to have a bike in my life.
    Last edited by CbrRider81; 23-05-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine..? A pic Of Dennis Ireland On his GP bike Throttles jammed full noise...Wrist twisted backwards tryin to shut off.....12 Oclock mono.*

You could see all the sponsors decals..

Turns out he was totally out of control and ran the fuk over his photographer..and hit a telegraph pole hard....

where was I ... oh yeh I wanted that.*
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."
    Likes CbrRider81, Graelin liked this post

Motorbike
    Few different breeds
    Liked
    207 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried pillion a few times and loved it except someone is stuck in front and you can't see too well.
    Sense of adventure doing something different.
    Cheaper commuting and parking.
    Sense of peace and freedom.
    Did track training because I couldn't legally ride a 1198cc so soon after getting my 250 license.
    Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wahoo!! What a ride!"
    Likes N/A liked this post

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have the pictures of Dad on his BSA Gold Flash in Hyde Park but he was out of bikes by the time I was born.

Uncle would take me and his son to Claremont Speedway anytime we wanted to go from about 7 years old. All I liked watching was the bikes. He was related to the Taylor's, Chum and Glyn so we got into the pits at times.

Lived in a Hostel for a year at 14 and we had seven mini bikes (monkey bikes?) never got into dirt bikes after going back to Perth and went surfing instead.

At 17-18 Mate had some older friends who were into bikes and selling illegal substances. He acquired enough money to buy a bike, GS 550.

One of them was teaching him out in a new suburb with no houses called Ballajura, they let me have a go. The power was a revelation. He told me never to ride bikes or I'll die in a fiery crash.

A year later I bought a DT250 and went up north. An old mate caught up with me on his 350 Ducati a year later. He had a Darmah in the shop but the quote for repairs had gone through the roof. He offered it to me for the repair price so it was out of the shop. I bought it and in the following 34 years I have gone three years without a road bike. Currently have two and a half road bikes and one dual purpose.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits