User Tag List

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 306

Thread: It stops with me!

  1. #281
    Member Skut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    Motorbike
    RZ250
    Liked
    2138 times
    Posts
    10,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Crobbo was being sarcastic - but some people are too easily offended here
    Likes Ryanoceros liked this post

  2. #282
    Member Crobbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Not a Zero Hero
    Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Posts
    5,205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
    I'm interested to know how you came to the conclusion that I'm a 'bigot' (do you know what that word means?). Which specific sections that you quoted evidence a bigoted viewpoint and for what reason?

    Do you know telling someone to "shut up" without offering any coherent discourse is literally the definition of being a bigot? You're shutting down an argument and putting your hands over your ears like a fucking uneducated child.

    I said "like an uneducated child" mind you. I didn't actually call you anything derogatory. Just FYI
    Oh sorry dude I forgot the smileeee :/
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.

  3. #283
    Member shan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Above you
    Motorbike
    Big bang boom and a sewing machine
    Liked
    2533 times
    Posts
    9,819
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chew View Post
    I think that the issue is not about being offended but more being offended against (raped, bashed, murdered) because societal attitudes, language and beliefs empower some to carry out these misdeeds.
    Fair point.
    Well we are multicultural.
    ( Insert bigot comments )
    It's a very complex issue.
    A part of the same issue is the suicide rate .

    The board is Becoming more even.
    Stats will change as some aspects even up.

    Not taking away from the fact a chick getting punched out is a terribly horrid event.
    Guys getting hurt I dare say is well under reported.

    Some thing that annoys me is the ease of getting a VRO.
    For the genuine women who need this , and there are many , others dialute the reality with indifferent scorn.

    I personally know of a case were a girl stole $2000 and got a VRO out on the victim.
    The victim was/ is a complete paserfest ,
    It all took a while to come out in the wash but not before a lot of damage was done to an inercent man who was actually the victim.
    It's also now known to be the woman's MO .

    So this particular person is jacking up stats but for her gain not out of need .

    Back to the greater populace,
    I think we are getting better .

    If you clutch your keys walking to your car , that's not necessarily because you are a woman.
    More chance of getting robbed because you appear to be a softer target.
    Would a junkie Rob a old granny handbag /purse or go for a guy wearing a service uniform.
    REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
    (anarchy in english )

  4. #284
    Member INTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona & Perth, WA
    Motorbike
    None for now.
    Liked
    247 times
    Posts
    2,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crobbo View Post
    Oh sorry dude I forgot the smileeee :/
    It's the fucking internet. Nobody knows you're a potato when you forget the smiley.

  5. #285
    Member AZAZL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Posts
    5,290
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by Skut View Post
    Boom. You invalidated the motivation of the OP, and the perspective of people actually affected by the subject of the discussion and have passed your own judgement about what people should be "offended" about.

    You are now doing the name calling/labelling.

    Maybe this intense resistance and aggressive responses to this discussion prove the actual problem still exists and is manifesting in this diminishing microcosm?

    BTW "The social landscape has gone through extraordinary change. It is not 'better' or 'worse'. It is change." is a completely vacuous statement with no meaning; kinda like "Hey, one of my plants flowered and another did not" - but trying to seem profound. It actually offers nothing to the discussion (I state this because you are clearly into banal sophistry above actual substantive debate right now)
    You get it so wrong grasshopper. Labelling? That I congratulated the OP on a successful troll?

    If s/he was offended by that congratulation, then my profound apologies.

    OP, I did ask earlier about the use of the term “cuck”. I don’t recall a reply. It is important to know if you are offended by the dribble of morons that use these terms for future inoffensive discourse.

    As a social service I did include an instructional video for people seeking assistance in fitting into this new hive world of which we are now part. Enjoy!
    We have a gene for gossip.
    We have a gene for superstition.
    We have a gene for jumping to conclusions and making fools of ourselves
    but we have no gene for science.
    Michio Kaka on "Buttpower"

  6. #286
    Member AZAZL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Posts
    5,290
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by chew View Post
    I think that the issue is not about being offended but more being offended against (raped, bashed, murdered) because societal attitudes, language and beliefs empower some to carry out these misdeeds.
    The people that dont rape bash murder should be very offended that the minority of misfits that commit these crimes, use such excuses.

    It would be interesting to know what proportion of this minority carry out these crimes because "societal attitudes, language and beliefs empower some to carry out these misdeeds."

    It is a lame excuse. The vast majority of people exposed to the exact same "societal attitudes, language and beliefs" do not rape, bash or murder nor do they condone it.
    We have a gene for gossip.
    We have a gene for superstition.
    We have a gene for jumping to conclusions and making fools of ourselves
    but we have no gene for science.
    Michio Kaka on "Buttpower"
    Likes INTJ liked this post

  7. #287
    Member Skut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    Motorbike
    RZ250
    Liked
    2138 times
    Posts
    10,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
    It's the fucking internet. Nobody knows you're a potato when you forget the smiley.
    Or you could actually engage critical reasoning ability and a person's stance on issues eg, posting history. But that was pretty funny

  8. #288
    Member GsxInShed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the big hole in the economy
    Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Posts
    8,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Funny how all this diatribe is of little or no consequence for the victims... ahh well PSB....
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

  9. #289
    Member Ryanoceros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Retired from riding
    Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Posts
    6,312
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crobbo View Post
    dude
    Did you just assume his gender.. ?
    Rest in Peace

    #294


    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.

  10. #290
    Member Crobbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Not a Zero Hero
    Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Posts
    5,205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    Did you just assume his gender.. ?
    No, but I know yours and it's fuckwit.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.
    Likes BillyBoof liked this post

  11. #291
    Member chew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Rivervale
    Liked
    2943 times
    Posts
    14,164
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    The people that dont rape bash murder should be very offended that the minority of misfits that commit these crimes, use such excuses.

    It would be interesting to know what proportion of this minority carry out these crimes because "societal attitudes, language and beliefs empower some to carry out these misdeeds."

    It is a lame excuse. The vast majority of people exposed to the exact same "societal attitudes, language and beliefs" do not rape, bash or murder nor do they condone it.
    They do not use it as an excuse. In most cases they actually believe that they are right.

    The whole point IMHO of the campaign is for all males to be careful about what they say and how they behave to discourage the belief the borderline cases have of being right.

    That seems to be too hard for many and is taken as offense by some as well. Ironic eh?

    The worst thing that can happen is things get better, what a nightmare outcome, apparently?
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits
    Likes Skut liked this post

  12. #292
    Member Ryanoceros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Retired from riding
    Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Posts
    6,312
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crobbo View Post
    No, but I know yours and it's fuckwit.
    Rest in Peace

    #294


    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.

  13. #293
    Member AZAZL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Posts
    5,290
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by chew View Post
    They do not use it as an excuse. In most cases they actually believe that they are right.

    The whole point IMHO of the campaign is for all males to be careful about what they say and how they behave to discourage the belief the borderline cases have of being right.

    That seems to be too hard for many and is taken as offense by some as well. Ironic eh?

    The worst thing that can happen is things get better, what a nightmare outcome, apparently?
    So in the last 20 years we have had this legal, social and cultural shift but victimisation surveys show an increase since 1996? Now that's ironic.

    From those stats the worse thing that can happen from the campaign is it gets worse.

    https://aic.gov.au/publications/tandi/tandi359

  14. #294
    Member chew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Rivervale
    Liked
    2943 times
    Posts
    14,164
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    So in the last 20 years we have had this legal, social and cultural shift but victimisation surveys show an increase since 1996? Now that's ironic.

    From those stats the worse thing that can happen from the campaign is it gets worse.

    https://aic.gov.au/publications/tandi/tandi359
    So you are suggesting the change is for the worse or are you interpreting the data to suit some argument?

    I read that report as indicating increased rates (excluding U15's) may be due to increased reporting or not i.e. inconclusive.

    Maybe we just need to try harder and actually mean it?
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

  15. #295
    Member shan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Above you
    Motorbike
    Big bang boom and a sewing machine
    Liked
    2533 times
    Posts
    9,819
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chew View Post
    So you are suggesting the change is for the worse or are you interpreting the data to suit some argument?

    I read that report as indicating increased rates (excluding U15's) may be due to increased reporting or not i.e. inconclusive.

    Maybe we just need to try harder and actually mean it?
    Is that what people use stats for
    REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
    (anarchy in english )
    Likes Para045 liked this post

  16. #296
    Member AZAZL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Posts
    5,290
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by chew View Post
    So you are suggesting the change is for the worse or are you interpreting the data to suit some argument?

    I read that report as indicating increased rates (excluding U15's) may be due to increased reporting or not i.e. inconclusive.

    Maybe we just need to try harder and actually mean it?
    No, that is why I referred to the 20 year increase in victimisation rates. The victimisation surveys are conducted to account for the effect of underreporting. To more accurately reflect crime rates "...whether they [victims] reported the most recent incident to police..." http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/4530.0

    It is disturbing that the statistic demonstrates this 20 year increase and I personally found it surprising as I held a perception it was getting better, not worse. A perception sadly no longer held. Time to hit the bottle...

    I've not researched why and I'm not suggesting it is a result of the social and cultural shift of the last 20 years. It could be for any reason or a combination of reasons that may or may not include a cultural shift.

    Consequently it is wrong to say a #whatever campaign will make "things better".

    Where is the data to say it will make it better before this social media #push was launched. It may make it better, it may make it worse, it may have no effect at all.
    Last edited by AZAZL; 20-09-2018 at 10:55 PM. Reason: demonstrates not indicates. #pedant
    We have a gene for gossip.
    We have a gene for superstition.
    We have a gene for jumping to conclusions and making fools of ourselves
    but we have no gene for science.
    Michio Kaka on "Buttpower"

  17. #297
    Member Skut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    Motorbike
    RZ250
    Liked
    2138 times
    Posts
    10,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    No, that is why I referred to the 20 year increase in victimisation rates. The victimisation surveys are conducted to account for the effect of underreporting. To more accurately reflect crime rates "...whether they [victims] reported the most recent incident to police..." http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/4530.0

    It is disturbing that the statistic demonstrates this 20 year increase and I personally found it surprising as I held a perception it was getting better, not worse. A perception sadly no longer held. Time to hit the bottle...

    I've not researched why and I'm not suggesting it is a result of the social and cultural shift of the last 20 years. It could be for any reason or a combination of reasons that may or may not include a cultural shift.

    Consequently it is wrong to say a #whatever campaign will make "things better".

    Where is the data to say it will make it better before this social media #push was launched. It may make it better, it may make it worse, it may have no effect at all.
    Much of what you say is another word salad in support of an argument I am uncertain you are trying to make.

    This, combined with the absence of recent national data on crimes such as assault and sexual assault, has made it difficult to determine whether there has been an increase in some forms of violent crime over the past 10-15 years or if experience of these violent crimes is just more likely to be reported now than it was in the past. Greater consistency between data sources in their definition of specific crimes is one suggested approach to smoothing out these differences (Carcach 2005: 323).

    If homicide is the yardstick by which the level of violence in society is measured, then the belief that violence is increasing in Australia cannot be substantiated. The significant increase in recorded assault and sexual assault potentially contradicts this view, but without supporting evidence from other sources of information, such an interpretation can only remain provisional
    You are also referencing general crime stats relating to violent crime (which in most jurisdictions IS going down) generally, as opposed to incidences of domestic abuse and sexual assault (and doesn't touch upon the "softer" crimes of harassment and bullying). An increase in reporting of sexual and domestic abuse demonstrates a level of success in the legal/cultural framework because victims can feel that their cases will be treated better than they have in the past. But outliers like the case in QLD where a cop provided details to an abusive ex-spouse prove that there are still cultural failings even within the justice system, let alone the broader community.

    You also keep #hash-tagging #everything as though every social media expression is just that rather than as a tool to inform or encourage a bit of positive action on the part of individuals who are in a position to effect some kind of change - as referred previously in the thread; shutting down misogynistic attitudes, calling out sexist behaviours, discouraging violent solutions to personal problems, or maybe just actually being a mate rather than a "bro" - whatever. It's not a big ask, but by golly a lot of folks got heated about the suggestion - which really does illustrate the problem.

    I am really struggling to see what/why you are defending/resisting here.
    Likes llbuono liked this post

  18. #298
    Member AZAZL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Posts
    5,290
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by Skut View Post
    Much of what you say is another word salad in support of an argument I am uncertain you are trying to make.



    You are also referencing general crime stats relating to violent crime (which in most jurisdictions IS going down) generally, as opposed to incidences of domestic abuse and sexual assault (and doesn't touch upon the "softer" crimes of harassment and bullying). An increase in reporting of sexual and domestic abuse demonstrates a level of success in the legal/cultural framework because victims can feel that their cases will be treated better than they have in the past. But outliers like the case in QLD where a cop provided details to an abusive ex-spouse prove that there are still cultural failings even within the justice system, let alone the broader community.

    You also keep #hash-tagging #everything as though every social media expression is just that rather than as a tool to inform or encourage a bit of positive action on the part of individuals who are in a position to effect some kind of change - as referred previously in the thread; shutting down misogynistic attitudes, calling out sexist behaviours, discouraging violent solutions to personal problems, or maybe just actually being a mate rather than a "bro" - whatever. It's not a big ask, but by golly a lot of folks got heated about the suggestion - which really does illustrate the problem.

    I am really struggling to see what/why you are defending/resisting here.
    Haha, word salad. Irony meter exploded.

    See figure 3 and the commentary referenced in my first link. Don't you find the 20 year increased rate in victimisation surveys of sexual assault disturbing?

    The original post is about sexual assault so that's the stats I'm interested in. I didn't see a dataset for the relationship between bullying and or harrassment and sexual assault in Australia so I cant help you with that one.

    Now no need to struggle. I'm not struggling to see why you think I'm defending or resisting anything.

    I'll definitely take the piss out of hashtags though and the social media platforms that revel in the things. Yeah, it might confuse a twitterer researching #whatever to bump into my post. Whatever.
    We have a gene for gossip.
    We have a gene for superstition.
    We have a gene for jumping to conclusions and making fools of ourselves
    but we have no gene for science.
    Michio Kaka on "Buttpower"
    Dislikes llbuono disliked this post

  19. #299
    Member Deborah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Liked
    423 times
    Posts
    5,708
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chew View Post
    I think that the issue is not about being offended but more being offended against (raped, bashed, murdered) because societal attitudes, language and beliefs empower some to carry out these misdeeds.
    Ah god-dammit I should have just said this. ↑↑ 
    Love you, Chew. Big fan of your work.
    Regrets
    I've had a few
    But then again
    Sit down, this is going to take a while.

  20. #300
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    W Oztrailier
    Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Posts
    687
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Witness to a scene this morning. 5.30am across the road an arguement could be heard. Eventually the female resident tried to get the male out of the house with friends back n forth and he eventually dragged her by her hair and choked her back into the house.
    This is the point where your brain starts kicking in, do I get involved. Get stabbed in the process etc etc. The two other males and females were defenceless against a much larger and clearly agressive male. This is the problem with domestic violence. You are going to get a reaction and violence if you interceed with this type of person and for most fear of being hurt is a big factor. Even saying something will often produce similar violence as it is the persona.
    I cant understand what it must be like to be a woman in this situation. I think this is the problem as men we have is that we cant understand having someone clearly outpowering you and everyone else around.
    Its the exact scenario that played out on entering the scene the dominant guy tried to peg me down too. He was unfortunate in the end that he met his match and was restrained until the police arrived.
    That would be another piece to the puzzle as most women in that situation dont have the friends around at the time to call the police. It happens in silence.
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •