Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

04 r1 cold start issue and running lean

Hi guys
    Hoping to pick someones brain here.
    I have a 2004 r1 and it wont start in cold weather at all now. I replaced the battery and that seemed to fix the problem for a week or so but this morning I had the same issue. Bike smells like it's running very lean at start up as well and kicks out a lot smoke until its warmed up.
    Any ideas.
    I'm thinking replacing the spark plugs next might help but if anyone knows of this issue I would be glad for any input.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Motorbike
    Yamaha yzf r1 2004
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should add as well the only way I could get it running was to bump start it

Motorbike
    BMW K1200S, K1200RS, R1200GSA, Triumph Street Triple R
    Liked
    4 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like an ignition problem given the battery and bump starting. Oil will be a separate problem. Try pulling all the spark plugs out and attach the leads/ground the plugs. Check for a fat spark.
    It's all fun until someone loses a nut.

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vacuum leak.

rag stuck in air box.

loose battery terminals.
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need a few more details.

How many km? what colour smoke? Does it have a power commander or equivalent installed?

I used to own an '04 R1 and it had a very hard life in my hands to about 50,000km when it went to another PSBer for retirement as a commuter clocking over the 100,000km mark by now I believe.

Could be several issues compounding here.

If you battery has died it could be due to it being at the end of its life. But if a new battery has only lasted a week, there may be an issue with the charging circuit. See if you can get a multimeter onto the 12V circuit (even across the battery will do) and when running you should see about 14V as the bike should be charging the battery. If there's no change or you see the voltage heading down your bike is no longer charging its battery and you need to look at the regulator/rectifier or stator.

Locate your regulator/rectifier. There's only 5 wires going in and out of it, I can't remember if it has two plugs (one with 3 wires, one with 2) or a single plug with 5 wires... but it looks like one of the two images below, it doesn't matter they do the same thing. You can check the state of these without needing to unplug them, as you can get your multimeter leads onto the terminals through the back of the plug.

or

You can check with your multimeter set to AC Volts between each of the three pins that are sitting side by side, and with the bike running it should read ~17VAC. If one one check reads less than that, then your stator is burnt out and needs to be replaced. If you get three strong, equal 17VAC readings across the three pins, check the 2 pins with your multimeter set to DC Volts, if it's reading is less than 14V then you need a new regulator/rectifier.

Right. That takes care of the electrical circuit, check that first and confirm all is well.

Because;

The 2004 R1 is fuel injected and has an electronic fuel management system it requires a good, stable electrical source to run. If your voltage is low the stock ECU and any additional fuel management systems you may have on board (Power Commander, Bazzaz, etc) will also struggle to do their job right.

Check the easy electrical stuff first and then go from there.

Oh and check that your battery terminals are tight.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes Rousey_r1 liked this post

Motorbike
    Yamaha yzf r1 2004
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    Need a few more details.

How many km? what colour smoke? Does it have a power commander or equivalent installed?

I used to own an '04 R1 and it had a very hard life in my hands to about 50,000km when it went to another PSBer for retirement as a commuter clocking over the 100,000km mark by now I believe.

Could be several issues compounding here.

If you battery has died it could be due to it being at the end of its life. But if a new battery has only lasted a week, there may be an issue with the charging circuit. See if you can get a multimeter onto the 12V circuit (even across the battery will do) and when running you should see about 14V as the bike should be charging the battery. If there's no change or you see the voltage heading down your bike is no longer charging its battery and you need to look at the regulator/rectifier or stator.

To check if the stator is ok, locate your regulator/rectifier and unplug it. There's only 5 wires going in and out of it, I can't remember if it has two plugs (one with 3 wires, one with 2) or a single plug with 5 wires... but it looks like one of the two images below, it doesn't matter they do the same thing. You can check the state of these without needing to unplug them, as you can get your multimeter leads onto the terminals through the back of the plug.

or

You can check with your multimeter set to AC Volts between each of the three pins that are sitting side by side, and with the bike running it should read ~17VAC. If one one check reads less than that, then your stator is burnt out and needs to be replaced. If you get three strong, equal 17VAC readings across the three pins, check the 2 pins with your multimeter set to DC Volts, if it's reading is less than 14V then you need a new regulator/rectifier.

Right. That takes care of the electrical circuit, check that first and confirm all is well.

Because;

The 2004 R1 is fuel injected and has an electronic fuel management system it requires a good, stable electrical source to run. If your voltage is low the stock ECU and any additional fuel management systems you may have on board (Power Commander, Bazzaz, etc) will also struggle to do their job right.

Check the easy electrical stuff first and then go from there.

Oh and check that your battery terminals are tight.
    Hey thanks turbor1. New battery is fine and hasn't died even with the hard starts. The smoke coming out is white and smells like fuel. But only on start up after being left for a while. After 30 secs or so the smoke goes away.
    Which is why I'm thinking spark plugs. Bike has done 65k

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not steam is it, from a cold motor? As that's nothing to worry about. Any chance of taking a picture?

All my bikes used to steam out of the exhaust like a kettle for the first km or so on a cold morning, and looked hilarious in the mirrors sitting at lights.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    Yamaha yzf r1 2004
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    It's not steam is it, from a cold motor? As that's nothing to worry about. Any chance of taking a picture?

All my bikes used to steam out of the exhaust like a kettle for the first km or so on a cold morning, and looked hilarious in the mirrors sitting at lights.
    Yeah I believe it might be but smells very rich. Coped backfires to sometimes on successful start ups. Although that was only after trying for a while to get the thing started.
    Smoke goes away after like 30 seconds or so. So it could be because it's just freezing cold in the hills lol.
    Still need to figure out the starting issue though.
    Hence I'm thinking spark plugs. Because battery appears fine and holds charge really well unlike the last one I replaced.

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's only two other really easy things things I can think of, and they are pretty obscure.

The first is that on some R1's you could turn the key on and it would only partially switch on the bike. It would give you dash lights, tail, indicators and all of your controls would work, but the ECU etc would not be on. Like I said, obscure and mine did this only twice in 3 year of ownership.

The other one, and this occurred on mine, is that under one of the ram air tubes (I THINK the right hand side, but it's been 10 years) there is a big white connector plug in the harness, and due to it's location can get water into it, causing some of the pins to corrode. On mine this resulted in the plug being discoloured, and the largest wire (Black/yellow ground) having a poor connection, on mine it resulted in loss of my headlights, sometimes the dash and I wouldn't put it past causing issues with the running of the bike.

There is no harm in checking this connector, check all wires are tight in the plug. If need be disconnect the plug give it a good clean with electrical cleaner and if you have some, smear DC5 in there before putting it back together.

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rousey_r1 View Post
    Yeah I believe it might be but smells very rich. Coped backfires to sometimes on successful start ups. Although that was only after trying for a while to get the thing started.
    Smoke goes away after like 30 seconds or so. So it could be because it's just freezing cold in the hills lol.
    Still need to figure out the starting issue though.
    Hence I'm thinking spark plugs. Because battery appears fine and holds charge really well unlike the last one I replaced.
    Smelling rich makes sense as the bike should be smart enough to regulate fuel when cold to get temperature up. It's no different to having a carburettor bike and pulling the choke on. Limits the amount of air and effectively runs the thing rich.

Difficulty in starting could be plugs, could be coil packs. Only way to be certain is to pull them out and have a look. Though I've yet to see a bike that complains from having new plugs.

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rousey_r1 View Post
    I should add as well the only way I could get it running was to bump start it

Starter motor the brushes are probably worn.....14yr old bike.
    Last edited by Halo_2; 26-06-2018 at 06:00 PM.
    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Motorbike
    Yamaha yzf r1 2004
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo_2 View Post
    Starter motor
    Wouldn't of thought it was the starter motor because it still cranks. Just sounds like its not sparking the fuel

Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its condensation coming out the exhaust and on cold start my R1 with PC5 does the same and smells fuelly, I wouldn't be concerned about that. I'd be looking to change the plugs if you don't know how long they've been in there for, shit job on an 07 I can tell you.

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pfft its a walk in the park on a R1 try it on a panigale.....
    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"