User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another 'what bike should I buy' , chestnut.

Motorbike
    CBR 125 Fully Sick Edition, Z1000, XJR13 hunjy. The wife
    Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Another 'what bike should I buy' , chestnut.

OK PSB'ers, the age old question of what bike should I buy?

I am getting close to buying another bike after a rather long hiatus, while sorting our lives out and welcoming a new family member.

1) I'm pretty light [down to 62kg after more illness ] and am a massive 5'8" tall. [172cm].

2) Type of riding = Predominantly country roads with stock and hopefully a Finke run one year.

3) My hip is borked, prematurely. ATm it is reasonably tolerable and I only get pain if the hip joint is at the wrong angle. It probably won't get replaced due to medical mistakes in NSW which gave me a very healthy dose of MRSA and the extreme high risk due to my immuno-suppression drugs.

4) Style of bike? Maybe a GSX1400, ZZR1100, MT01, Bandit, Black Bird, Fazer ,Yammy Tracer, or very open to other suggestions.

As a result of my weight which is now unlikely to change, and the almost exclusively country roads, what are your opinions?

I once had the DL650, but found the tall tank a bit tippy when carrying a pillion and never really felt comfortable when cornering.

So, any feedback?
    I am going to do the regulation whatever gets you excited test rides, but bikes always feel alien if you've never ridden one before and long term owners have had the miles on the seat to find the hidden dramas or strong points.

I will commute for 22 k's of bitumen bush roads, but most rides will be between 25-150 k's at a time, with the odd 400 k run as well.

Go.. Please include strong points, weak points and any characteristics that might be important.
    Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Motorbike
    stealth busa
    Liked
    343 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

get a z900rs
    I don't know anything about them
    but I saw one the other day and they look horn
    and if you got one
    you could tell us about it
    Note: this may not be the universe where the above is relevant.
    Likes Tom V. liked this post

Liked
    5 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like supersports may be a bit of a stretch due to the hip. Maybe sit on a Honda CBR1000 (the good all rounder) and see if it feels right.
    I'm a bit biased as I have one, definately have a look at a supernaked bike. Something with a small faring, Tuono maybe. Although body position is quite forward on this bike. I don't know much about the superduke's but what a motorcycle that is. The riding position may suit you better.
    Other bikes that are worth looking at gsx-s1000fa, ninja 1000. Both quality bikes and will put a smile on your dial.
    I got busy typing away and forgot if you confirmed your budget?

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was gonna suggest an XSR900/MT09, but by the sounds of it you're looking for plush suspension to accommodate your mobility issues/country roads.

Muscle bikes definitely sound like the go, GSX1400, Bandit 1250, XJR1300.
    Likes mitchleeey liked this post

Motorbike
    Kawasaki Ninja
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concur with above, Ninja 1000 or a z1000 would be a great pic. (Ninja) has some fairing for the distance riding and definitely no slouch on the country roads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes INTJ, frenchie liked this post

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Select a narrow bike that does not push your knees out sideways at the tank. More bend at the hip makes it worse and can have a dislocating effect on worn hips.
    Get Ducati
    The effect is less the more upright you ride. That's my experience with a 'replacement required' right hip.

You are not alone with your opinion of high CoG bikes, especially on gravel.
    We have a gene for gossip.
    We have a gene for superstition.
    We have a gene for jumping to conclusions and making fools of ourselves
    but we have no gene for science.
    Michio Kaka on "Buttpower"

Motorbike
    Liked
    5260 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you need a fully faired sport tourer...

Lots of choice especially if you are happy with an older model...

I did many long distance runs on a ZZR1100...

Rock solid and stable, happy to sit on 200 all day everyday...

Rather long in the tooth now, though if you found one of the last 1200 models with low kays it might suit...

I’m currently using a Yamaha XJ900 Diversion as a commuter...

Never going to be fast but can sit on 140 all day...

Ok weather protection, simple under stressed motor, shaft drive...

Motorbike
    Street Triple 765 RS
    Liked
    21 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bmw:
    R1200rs
    k1200s
    f800gt
    “Fear keeps us alive. Never, not be afraid.” - Grug Crood.
    Likes Slug_BM liked this post

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

65kg rider...SV650r

Heaps of bolt on shit..loads of tuning from USA single make race class

Adequate tourer...easy to pick up when dropped..no need to justify ownership....can still beat midranged bikes to apex...

Height adjustable....rears sets..etc etc...

Rattlecan it black and gold and ride it like ya stole it...
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Motorbike
    K 1200 r
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’dd Recon,How’s the family. Well I got the beemer, purely because very time saw one ,I was back in the green room with Captian Goodvibes,,you’ve mentioned a medical issue with or hips,I’ve learned that the k1200r has a narrow tank down low which is better than good, for hips, also the centre of gavity is low due to engine being lower.
    I’m leaning more to a G.S.next bike but the coin possibility is far out man,with your 62kg frame have your considered bmw S1000.... range, same coin as most, with all the fruit, I think their tanks are similar to too.
    An the RS900 as mentioned before is a ripper,.
    I often wanted to ask, if ,”what bike would you build taking a part from every bike on the market “.an age old never ending ordeal I geuss, power vs comfort, as the fed back to manufacturing gets more an more competitive.
    What ever you test ride,an don’t what to take it back , simple eh..
    Good luck mate. I’m off to “leave the planet stuff” this morning .

Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on budget, at the upper end of the scale and new/newish bikes there is the MT10SP (Öhlins suspension) which will let you tune in a decent degree of comfort as well as soaking up the shit roads that WA has on offer. My Öhlins equipped ZX10R is amazingly compliant on the roads for a track focused bike.

The BMW 1200RS, well almost anything from BMW will see you sitting in comfort and chomping up miles. Be aware though that the high purchase cost of a BMW continues through ownership with anything you do to/with it.

Standard rules apply with anything Italian, unless you want to hate motorcycling in record time and be done with it for good.

Kawasaki's Ninja 1000 would be worth a look in. I'm thinking the H2SE would be a tad too much bike.

Suzuki has a range of GSX-S, retuned GSXR motors in a more sit up and beg riding position, though still look quite aggressive in the seating position, maybe too aggressive. But you won't know until you ride one.

Honda really only have the VFR1200 and 800, which both look like they were drawn by a drunk.

So that's new bikes and all quite pricey.

But the current nature of the used bike market is working in your favour as you can pick up a lot of bike these days for not much money, and what you save, gets compounded in savings on insurance and parts and can go to extra bits should you choose to.

Looking on Bikesales right now, ZZR1100 for $4k, Suzuki Bandits (2008 with ABS for $5.5k), A few FZ1's, SV1000's and plenty of VFR800 (the older ones which looked decent), the 10-15k you save on the bike can go a long way.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    blackbird
    Liked
    113 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another 'what bike should I buy' , chestnut.

I am totally biased towards the Blackbird as I’ve owned 3. I ride one as I’m 6’4” and 110kgs. The things are physically Huge and heavy but still float my boat and good honest examples can be had cheap these days as they stopped production in ‘07
    Pros fast, comfortable, top build quality, easily modified to suit personal choices
    Cons struggling to think of any apart from the linked brakes the very low tech suspension both of which I’ve modded on mine and if your size and weight will be an issue.
    Honda Blackbird, The gentleman's weapon of choice
    Barbeque sauce is the devils bum gravy

Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MT09 would be worth a test ride, Mandurah City have a demo.

Motorbike
    Triumph Sprint ST
    Liked
    368 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For your size and weight I would have thought a middleweight would be quite good. An MT09 or one of its derivatives, or maybe a Triumph Street Triple. They are both very comfortable bikes and will cope with what you are suggesting in terms of riding requirements. I would think you will need to try out a few bikes to see which has a seating position that doesn't flare up your hip. That has to be the main issue with what you choose.
    Adventure before Dementia

Motorbike
    FS570 El Bergo, CB1R El Bango
    Liked
    820 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Dealer View Post
    I was gonna suggest an XSR900/MT09, but by the sounds of it you're looking for plush suspension to accommodate your mobility issues/country roads.

Muscle bikes definitely sound like the go, GSX1400, Bandit 1250, XJR1300.
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSGIXXER View Post
    MT09 would be worth a test ride, Mandurah City have a demo.
    2013-16 MT-09 doesn't do the old hip any favours as the seat shape/angle into tank played havoc on my fucked hip. An aftermarket seat may help.

A Tracer is high on my next bike list as it inherits the same motor but will be better suited yo my to-from work commutes with the uprightness, wind protection and the panniers standard is a massive bonus.

Had an 06 GSX1400 and that was also dynamite. The seat was like a loungechair and ideal for the misso should you have one of those... anything similar to that ie XJR13 or ZRX12 would suit

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Rest in Peace
    Brother Ryad
    Likes Speed Dealer liked this post

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DQ View Post
    2013-16 MT-09 doesn't do the old hip any favours as the seat shape/angle into tank played havoc on my fucked hip. An aftermarket seat may help.

A Tracer is high on my next bike list as it inherits the same motor but will be better suited yo my to-from work commutes with the uprightness, wind protection and the panniers standard is a massive bonus.

Had an 06 GSX1400 and that was also dynamite. The seat was like a loungechair and ideal for the misso should you have one of those... anything similar to that ie XJR13 or ZRX12 would suit

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Yeh a Tracer would be bloody fantastic for country roads. The Yamaha triple motor is superb. One of the best engines in motorcycling today. The suspension on my XSR is great for handling but in terms of comfort can be pretty harsh after the first 100km.

Motorbike
    Street Triple 765 RS
    Liked
    21 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgs View Post
    For your size and weight I would have thought a middleweight would be quite good. An MT09 or one of its derivatives, or maybe a Triumph Street Triple. They are both very comfortable bikes and will cope with what you are suggesting in terms of riding requirements. I would think you will need to try out a few bikes to see which has a seating position that doesn't flare up your hip. That has to be the main issue with what you choose.
    I know a 2017 Street Triple RS for sale with all the fruit that would fit the bill just nice

https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...d.php?t=187601
    “Fear keeps us alive. Never, not be afraid.” - Grug Crood.

Motorbike
    1988 GSF250P, 2010 Z1000, 2013 Z800
    Liked
    423 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for a Ninja 1000 here, that sweet Zed engine with power everywhere, sure it's not got ~50 horses that superbikes have but it's still more than enough. And all in a more all rounder/useable package.
    Quote Originally Posted by boeman View Post
    Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.

Motorbike
    Triumph Trident
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have thought long and hard about the sort of bike I should buy, I have never had a brand new bike and I want one.
    So there needs to be a selection process, you've already got some criteria and from what you've told us I won't recommend the Rocket Three 😋
    My time hasn't come yet but firstly I would search all the manufacturers you would buy from and make a short, or not so short, list of bikes worth further consideration. Then it's time to start looking, I guess you already know if you want new or second hand.
    Alternatively just go and look at bikes and follow your heart,if you fall out of love then... NEXT.
    The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
    G T

Motorbike
    CB1000R
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a CB1000R 2009 and a BMW R1200GS

For tripping around can't beat the R1200GS I have left it on the east coast where i do most of my travelling.

The CB is a great bike also and a bit smaller around the city!

My wife is currently looking to upgrade her CBR1000 to a MT10.

Cheers