User Tag List

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Anti-Bargain Bike Spotted in the Classifieds.

Motorbike
    fast ones
    Liked
    406 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about those near new tires.
    ďHow people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.Ē

Motorbike
    Twin
    Liked
    122 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dampen, damper, dampener

Damper is only a noun. It refers to (1) something that deadens, restrains, or depresses, (2) an adjustable plate for controlling a draft, and (3) one that deadens vibrations.1 DamperĎs corresponding verb is dampen, which means to deaden, restrain, or depress. Of course, dampen also means to make slightly wet.2

A dampener is someone or something that dampens.3 So damper and dampener can both refer to one that deadens sound vibrations. But damper does not work for something that makes something slightly wet.
    From https://grammarist.com/usage/dampen-damper-dampener/ - they're saying either is correct, and refer to OED.

Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich... View Post
    I'll just leave this here...

dampener
    NOUN

A thing that has a restraining or subduing effect.
    Ďtelevision and booze, those twin dampeners of the revolutionary spirití

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/dampener
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/damper

One is correct. The other makes me want to punch a sack of kittens to death.
    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Motorbike
    Liked
    5260 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As above, both are correct...

Motorbike
    stealth busa
    Liked
    343 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And a one, two, three , four

You say dampener
    I say damper
    You say swinging arm
    I say swing arm
    Dampener damper
    Swinging swing arm
    Lets call the whole thing off

(but decelerators are definitely brakes not breaks, ffs)
    Last edited by somebodyelse; 01-01-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: i am but a fool
    Note: this may not be the universe where the above is relevant.
    Likes pnork, shortSteve liked this post

Motorbike
    BMW R100RS, K100RS, SV1000S, GSX750F, XR650L, XR650R
    Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    R100RS... Ever have to replace the valve guides? Smokey horizontal cylinders do that.

You want a great 70's bike? Guzzi 1974 750S. Last one sold in WA went for $25K and I wouldn't sell mine for less.

Or more for that matter. What a sweet bike.
    Iím unfamiliar with that one. Iíve owned 2 Mk3 LeMans. Fuck me what a machine! The faster I went the better it felt. Hereís the second one.
    https://youtu.be/R0rwEQWYhDU

1000 kit, twin plugged, lightened flywheel and clutch. Got it resprayed in the original white. Sold it to a bloke in zQld for 11k. Always regretted selling it. Never had s bike that inspired confidence at high speeds like it. And the brakes. I know Iím preaching to the converted but the integrated braking system on those made it the best braking bike Iíve ever had. And that includes my modern bikes. I reckon the Mk3 was the pick of that entire series. Thereís a nice one in Vic and boy I wish I had a spare 15k. But the Mk1 is worth more than the Mk2-5 despite the fact that it wasnít as good a bike. Theyíre just rarer

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Steak View Post
    Iím unfamiliar with that one. Iíve owned 2 Mk3 LeMans. Fuck me what a machine! The faster I went the better it felt. Hereís the second one.
    https://youtu.be/R0rwEQWYhDU

1000 kit, twin plugged, lightened flywheel and clutch. Got it resprayed in the original white. Sold it to a bloke in zQld for 11k. Always regretted selling it. Never had s bike that inspired confidence at high speeds like it. And the brakes. I know Iím preaching to the converted but the integrated braking system on those made it the best braking bike Iíve ever had. And that includes my modern bikes. I reckon the Mk3 was the pick of that entire series. Thereís a nice one in Vic and boy I wish I had a spare 15k. But the Mk1 is worth more than the Mk2-5 despite the fact that it wasnít as good a bike. Theyíre just rarer
    Roundfin sport guzzis from the 70's would have to rate just below 70's ss ducatis as the Anti-Bargain Bikes of the century. Both behind Laverda...

Seems there's these old bastards paying more than a new modern bike for something from their teen wet dreams. Compare a vanilla R100RS with say, a Triumph Trophy. Chalk and cheese.

Motorbike
    Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roundfin sport guzzis from the 70's would have to rate just below 70's ss ducatis as the Anti-Bargain Bikes of the century. Both behind Laverda...

Seems there's these old bastards paying more than a new modern bike for something from their teen wet dreams. Compare a vanilla R100RS with say, a Triumph Trophy. Chalk and cheese.
    Yep. The beemer is 35 years older but still by far the better touring bike than the shitbox pommy Triumph fucking Whats-his-name

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, Speedmaster 865, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like this dome racer spent more time writing the ad & cataloging all mods in a colour coded excel spread sheet than

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cann...ati/1204561791
    Impossible to walk in this muck, no footing at all.
    Likes wheel_of_steell liked this post

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that not only did the owner provide costs of the mods, they also included labour to fit them, down to the cent 😂

Motorbike
    2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to post up that bike.

And fucking Rizoma... overpriced weak as fuck aluminium garbage sold for looks over function... oh wait Ducati... carry on.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillz View Post
    looks like this dome racer spent more time writing the ad & cataloging all mods in a colour coded excel spread sheet than

What a fuckstick, does he really believe he can get back all the labour that some dealer/shop raped him for when he got his shitty accessories fitted
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overpriced italian dinosaurs follow. The 750 Electronica listed was AUD102,000 but check the other Laverdas below. Stupidly expensive.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C731597

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Steak View Post
    Yep. The beemer is 35 years older but still by far the better touring bike than the shitbox pommy Triumph fucking Whats-his-name
    You need to ride one you'll be surprised. Maybe any modern bike. But electronic ignition, no points. The pity. Cant fix a bike with a rolley paper and fencing wire anymore.

Motorbike
    Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím not saying itís not a nice bike to ride. If I was going to go for a modern bike itíd be a Moto Guzzi Norge - at least it has a shaft.
    But there are four other areas where that Triumph canít mix it with my beemer as a longevrange tourer. 1. Itís water cooled. Something else that can go wrong. 2. What if you have a minor incident and the bike falls over? Allnthat shitty plastic to smash along with gear sticks and levers and so on. The fairing on my beemer is 1cm thick fibreglass. I was in a bookshop in Brisbane once when a lady walked in and said ďexcuse me your bike just fell overĒ. I hadnít put the stand down properly. The only damage to the bike was chipped fibreglass on the raised lip on the edge of the fairing. 3. 19Ē rims. Much better on dirt than modern 17Ē rims. 4. Steel fucking rims. I can go blasting down a potholed dirt road and no matter how badly the bike gets rattled around the wheels will survive. 5. Factory fucking Cruise control. Bet you didnít know about that. Not bad for 1977 eh? 6. With the weight low in the frame because of the boxer motor itís a piece of piss to ride off-road. I love zooming past guys on chook chasers. I used to rally a lot and my favourite rally was the Alpine Rally up in Brindabellas south of Canberra. The best part about it was the 30km of dirt to get into the rally. No touring bike is complete without decent off-road manners thatís why the so called adventure tourer was invented by BMW. What they didnít know was that they were unnecessary. 7. Perfect ergonomics. You can sit on 140-150 all day with the wind tunnel designed fairing. Not bad for 1977. How many reasons is that ? Lost count

Motorbike
    Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overpriced italian dinosaurs follow. The 750 Electronica listed was AUD102,000 but check the other Laverdas below. Stupidly expensive.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C731597
    Yep thereís a class of bike (and car) which is only worth so much for the rarity of their pose value. It begs the question of how insecure people are in themselves to need to spend that much to impress others

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hillz View Post

Performance coolant mofo's!!!!!!!!!!
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Motorbike
    ZX10R
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rear Tyre Plug: $62.50
    He has got to be taking the piss.

May as well list every set of tyres he's put on the thing, except it probably has never seen a new set after rolling off the dealership floor.
    Likes Kristy liked this post

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Known View Post
    He has got to be taking the piss.

May as well list every set of tyres he's put on the thing, except it probably has never seen a new set after rolling off the dealership floor.
    I laughed hard at that too - they probably are the original tyres, and listing that your tyre has a plug is not necessarily a good thing, but in the spirit of listing absolutely everything I guess that was a must... and if it was a previous set, why is it even relevant? If it is the current set, state it as a defect, not as a cost you are hoping to recoup.

I'm surprised he didn't list every tank of fuel (and 98 of course, not that cheap arse 95), each service, and state that his tyres are filled with nitrogen because screw the poxy air that all the commoners use.

Motorbike
    Hot tub SRAD time machine
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Akrapovic Full Titanium Exhaust System (Pro Twin Used For 500km): $3850.00 (Savings: $1149.00)" - wowsers, thinking about this his used exhaust system cost him more than my entire current setup, including transfer and 12 months insurance.

and yes. so, so much bling however has a plug in the back tyre?

but i dont spose you need it if it stays in the living room on the trickle charger hey. long as it looks the part i guess
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Likes Para045 liked this post