User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harley 883/1200/Forty Eight Lady-Bikes?

Motorbike
    FS570 El Bergo, CB1R El Bango
    Liked
    820 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Harley 883/1200/Forty Eight Lady-Bikes?

Good Evening PSB Massive

Recently Cruisers have sparked my interest and I began researching into midsized bikes suitable to a distinguished older gent as myself.

Namely Indian Scouts, Triumph Bobbers and Harley 883-1200-48 range. I've never owned a cruiser nor have the faintest clue about them. The extent of my knowledge is what other reviewers have provided and what I did notice, the HD range in particular, are a number of responses/replies by other HD owners ridiculing 883/1200/48 owner's for owning a girl's Harley. Am I missing something here?

Are they considered to be the noob Harley of choice? Hipster choice hence not a really Harley rider or akin to a male riding white GSXR's?

Help me, oh wise ones!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Rest in Peace
    Brother Ryad

Motorbike
    Doesn't matter, don't ride them anymore anyway.
    Liked
    517 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride what you like, fuck the haters.

-Kawasaki rider
    Likes Green Trident, Sonik, Tom V., whowalks liked this post

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sportsters aka Skirtsters.
    In your quest to hang off me, the 50th anniversary you sent me 'tother night is a far better choice cos I've never owned a Skirtster 😃
    Likes DQ, Crobbo liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a 'girls' bike?

There's no such thing.

Ride what you want to ride.

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having trod this well worn path, don't waste a couple of years.

Stuff $10,000 in your dunny now and press the button.

I know a bloke that loves his 883. It suits him. He's not girly, more midgetty. Rides of more than 1 hour are epic journeys.

Problem with cruisers is they look comfortable but for some people they cause stabbing pain in the base of the spine.

If your problem is getting a leg over the thing, a 400cc stepthrough maybe?

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the 500 is selling well, this could be you :-P

Hoonaholics Garage

"Itís not going to judge you like a fucking Volkswagen would."
    Likes AZAZL liked this post

Liked
    739 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget the Skirtsters, they're designed for short people, women and hipsters, are horribly under powered, poor brakes and a very cramped seating position.

Maybe consider a Triumph Speedmaster (the older ones before this new softail frame), or test ride some of the Jap cruisers like a Honda Shadow or a Yamaha

Motorbike
    1988 Bandit GSF250, 2010 Z1000, 2014 Duke 390
    Liked
    423 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal take (albeit much abbreviated) is that HD's are a lifestyle brand, and that for just about any Harley you could want their is a likely superior/cheaper/better value etc etc alternative for your money. you buy a HD becuase you WANT a HD. I don't think any bike at all is a 'girls' bike, girls can ride anything they want, from scooters to HD's to Busas.

If that's genuienly what you want to buy, don't let anyone talk you out of it - for such a completely stupid reason. I'd encourage you to test ride them and other bikes that fit the same bill and buy whichever one you prefer to ride (and perhaps taking into account costs of ownership etc etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by boeman View Post
    Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.

Motorbike
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried a Yamaha Bolt. Sold it after 3 rides. Most uncomfortable thing Iíve ever ridden and the lack of suspension travel (883 has even less) sent shockwaves through my spine every bump.

Motorbike
    XDiavel - Low Rider S - F3800 - RC390 - M659 - CBR250R - VRod
    Liked
    1391 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buy a Dyna and be a cool kid,

Jack the rear and front suspension up and actual corner without scraping pegs and exhaust, if your budget stretches, a Low Rider S with a 117 kit is the go, mine pulls like a freight train and corners really well, just don't expect to stop in hurry even with upgraded brakes!

Only let down.

oh and 883-1200 are just a waste of time, slow, small and have no re-sale value what so ever, if you buy one just give me the cash and I will kick you in the nuts, same feeling......

RR

Motorbike
    Plausible Denial
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its not a new thing sportsters have always been the girls HD haven't they? in the early nineties a guy i worked with bought himself a sportster, he was so proud of it i remember thinking "duh, oh u done gawn buy a girlie bike maaaayyyyyte" dunno where it came from, truth be known probably HD's own advertisements to their target market. he always used to leave it unattended outside to warm up before riding it home i felt that he was truly truly brave in so so many ways doing that.

I agree with frenchie tho, you buy into the whole HD thing because you want to, and good for you, ride what you want unless someones willing to pony up a few gorillas to ride what they want you to...

My bike at the time was a Y125j 2-banger and that was a Yamie piece of shit, YPVS was truly the work of the devil. piece of shit Yamaha.

'ken yamie crap pile. shit heap. puss bucket. never again.
    Last edited by Heretic; 10-07-2018 at 01:26 PM.
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a Triumph Thruxton 1200...then if you dont like it you can let me ride it for you...get a red one.
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rated the '48' over the Dynas and Softails. The Softail Slim S was a close second. That was after four months of demo rides working at Frasers.

The Ultraglide was my favourite because of the ride, and because splitting on a bike with an armchair, panniers and a stereo was hilarious.

Don't buy new. Don't spend money modifying one. The 2016+ models had better suspension. . Don't expect it to get you from point A to point B quickly - it's about the journey.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes DQ liked this post

Motorbike
    Harley Davidson FXSB, Ducati 916S, Piaggio MP3 250
    Liked
    5055 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the breakout was the girls bike from Harley Davidson?

Got a few mates have had sportsters for a few years now and I've never heard them say they wish they'd bought a lead sled/land barge like mine instead.

Depends how big you are if the bike is comfortable to ride and you like the aesthetics then it could be a good fit for you and then who cares what anyone else thinks?
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.
    Likes llbuono liked this post

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey someone mentioned a Speedmaster earlier. A local KTM 690 rider lived in the pommyland for ten years and had a speedmaster.

He thought it a good moderate sportsbike with enough cruiser. Really liked it. Can't keep him off the 8V griso though.

Don't buy a griso... Don't buy a Piaggio guzzi...
    Errrr protip!
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gosh. I thunk I've been DQ trolled in this whole thread. You really want an updsate SMoto. Huski IKea bike meybee?

Motorbike
    FS570 El Bergo, CB1R El Bango
    Liked
    820 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    Gosh. I thunk I've been DQ trolled in this whole thread. You really want an updsate SMoto. Huski IKea bike meybee?
    Haha no buddy, genuinely interested. After getting pinned on the Weir last weekend, it had me rethinking my riding style as I'm approaching midlife. And I've never owned a cruiser. Hell, I was even considering a V7 Special

Rest in Peace
    Brother Ryad

Motorbike
    fast ones
    Liked
    406 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered a Rocket III?

My favourite line
    argument juice is added from the argument lobe of the female brain allowing the finished bike to change direction in an instant

Much like its performance, construction of the Rocket III turns traditional motorbike assembly on its head. Thus the first part of the bike to be added is its center of gravity. The tiny items are made by hand in a hermetically sealed chamber where they are then pressurized; the engine itself is created next door. When creating the most powerful motorbike known to man the key is to use a motorbike engine not previously known to man. Engines this large cannot simply be built and instead are grown from embryo engines germinated in a nutrient rich sludge medium, injected with steroids and then kept in this bank of cupboards near the photocopiers to grow.

When they have reached adolescence the frame is attached and over 200 kilos of power are added. It's a delicate process. Too little and the bike will feel sluggish, too much and it could explode.

The wheels can now be bolted on and its sent into a special room where all the complicated bits are put on by men who read magazines about maths. Argument juice is added from the argument lobe of the female brain allowing the finished bike to change direction in an instant, improving handling. The same technology is used in modern fighter planes. Fun doesn't get into the bike by accident. In this sound proofed area assembly workers play compilation tapes and jokes to the bike while it watches classic episodes of TV comedy shows from the late 70s up to the present day.

Fun is absorbed by osmosis and levels are monitored. When full the bike is painted and baked.

The whole bike is chamoised with Yaks butter and only when the bikes resident gurning fool can see himself reflected as a thing of beauty is the bike released for testing.

(Testing is accompanied by banjo music for safety purposes) The tests themselves look to asses maneuverability and performance in real world situations. Here we see; an emergency stop for someone who's dropped their badger in the road, practicing control in the advent of hitting a lard spill, and a safety procedure for getting home if your front wheel falls off.

Occasionally test riders try to slip in a few hooligan antics but these are generally frowned upon. All these techniques must be carried out without spilling the riders tea to ensure the Rocket 3s legendary ease of handling and comfort remains intact.

Testing passed; the bikes are finished and are finally equipped with their riders who come off independent production lines throughout the world. All keen to enjoy the thrills the Rocket 3 has to offer.

... and the satisfied Triumph workers head home after another hard day building the rocket three."

ďHow people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.Ē
    Likes frenchie, Green Trident liked this post

Motorbike
    2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RRossi View Post
    have no re-sale value what so ever, if you buy one just give me the cash and I will kick you in the nuts, same feeling.....
    #MVAgusta

DQ, I've also had thought about going to a more 'sensible' bike and away from the all out speed machines we are used to, based solely police state dictatorship we now reside under.

However the furthest I could see myself getting for outright sports bikes, at least for the time being would be something like the Thruxton R, or the Norton Commando 961. Sadly both are horrendously expensive for what you get. The unfortunate result of having to pay for things in British Pounds.

I figure though while my body is still able to manage something sportier I will continue until the day my back/knees/hip/wrists cry enough.

When that day comes there's only really 2 bikes that I like the look of; the Indian Scout - a few mods can make them look pretty cool. And if I were to look at a Harley (which, if I'm honest probably never) would be the V-Rod (VRSC?), but that would need to be pretty heavily modified to make it look like something decent too.

Something like this...

Or

You'll probably find though that the greatest adjustment will be accepting that what you are capable of and what the bike is capable of will be two entirely different things.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes RRossi liked this post

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DQ View Post
    Haha no buddy, genuinely interested. After getting pinned on the Weir last weekend, it had me rethinking my riding style as I'm approaching midlife. And I've never owned a cruiser. Hell, I was even considering a V7 Special

Avoid the V7 special like the plague! Terrible bike. Cheap piaggio rubbish. They've not done anything decent since the griso 8V and even that was an expensive dlc tappet grenade.

What you are doing is good in theory and I wish you luck with it. I tried this in 2011 with a Fatboy and failed because maniac.

It is working in Darwin with the drz400sm. Light easy to handle gutless bike thats pointless thrashing and fun to ride.

If Harley, early 2000's nightrod would be my pick.