Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OWTK : Leaking roof

Hi all;
    need some help here....
    our sensor light recently died and the electrician came and found the light was pretty much flooded from the recent rain.
    Electrician said it looks like the inside of the ceiling was also flooded with obvious water stains....
    Was wondering if there is any roof guys in the forum or someone you can recomend?

as I have never fixed this sort of things before, so not sure of costs, and if it is expensive enough to be dealt with insurance.

cheers
    "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Motorbike
    Mule, Italian twin
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could also be the gutters are overflowing across the back of them spilling water into your eaves/etc (happens to me sometimes). But your house could be built differently to mine and this problem may not be applicable.

Is it a tiled roof or a tin/Colorbond sheeted roof? If tiled and the tiles are old and haven't had much love then they might've moved and not be bedded properly, allowing some leakage.

I had a roof plumber fix a leak about a year ago, he was pretty good. Just had to get some flashing made and he fitted it for me, and siliconed the fuck out of everything and not had a problem since. PM me if you wants his details, I'll see if I can dig them out for you.
    Likes okitoki liked this post

Motorbike
    Bike-less now :(
    Liked
    546 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes please pass me his details... got in touch with a gutter cleaner, but he doesnt do roof repairs but did quote $198 for whole house gutter to be cleared (I had some blocked downpipe before that needed some heavy duty flushing)... just worried about the cost of repair.

roof is colourbond so hopefully not a rip roof from the big wind gust we had a while back... the Varandah covers that section of the roof so never really inspected it before... might have to climb it tomorrow morning
    "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Motorbike
    Yamaha R15
    Liked
    2997 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    yes please pass me his details... got in touch with a gutter cleaner, but he doesnt do roof repairs but did quote $198 for whole house gutter to be cleared (I had some blocked downpipe before that needed some heavy duty flushing)... just worried about the cost of repair.

roof is colourbond so hopefully not a rip roof from the big wind gust we had a while back... the Varandah covers that section of the roof so never really inspected it before... might have to climb it tomorrow morning
    Climb it and get a photo from above looking down the roof roughly where it is leaking, and picture from the ground/front looking at it.
    From there should be able to at least diagnose what is failing.

Usually either blocked downpipes, downpipe connections to soakwells, or a silicone/flashing that has failed somewhere.
    Likes ReCon liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    546 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boeman View Post
    Climb it
    next OWTK: how to fix hole in roof from fat guy falling through...

yeah will try to investigate tomorrow, but no view from bottom due to veranda blocking it... I guess I assume because there are no trees close to that area, the risk of blockage is lower....

Motorbike
    Gen 2 SV650
    Liked
    2501 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this happen recently, to the extent that mould was growing in the roof panels in our spare bedroom.

Handballed it to the strata who fixed it under insurance. The whole job took two full days of labour including replacement interior panels, insulation and painting. So probably quite expensive.

The cause was a blocked gutter which I cleared manually and I also siliconed up two cracked tiles at the same time. Been sleeping easy ever since.

It was a bigger job than yours because of the mould but If you have insurance and a low enough excess then I would let them handle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    Why be a cunt about it?

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know a few roof guys, all rolling in $$... i would be using insurance haha
    Hoonaholics Garage

"Itís not going to judge you like a fucking Volkswagen would."

Motorbike
    Triumph Trident
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh so that's not you in your Avatar...go and join Filbert in the naughty corner.
    The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
    G T

Motorbike
    2014 Street Triple R
    Liked
    7 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roof leaks can be tricky to diagnose. Can be happening up higher and tracking down underneath the roof sheeting and structure before dropping elsewhere.
    Does the water on your verandah roof fall back onto the main roof, and then into the house gutter? Could mean that the extra water off the verandah is causing the gutter to overflow / be over capacity, especially if its full of stuff.

Motorbike
    Liked
    546 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    missus noticed water leaking through the end edge of the ceiling near the end of roof connects to the verandah; no water leaking further in towards the house side or water running through the hole on the wall where the old light used to be drilled through on the top brick above the sliding door.

Didnt notice water running through where the porch light was so didnt think water was getting in there... so was kind of surprised when electrician said the light was filled with water. so hopefully it might be just a slight overflow from the block gutter from the heavy rain we had recently....

just need a pair of expert eyes to have a look to inspect it