Liked
    69 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The uberEATS thread

Just curious, does anyone on here ride for ubereats? What's it like? What bike do you use to deliver with? Can you wheelie it?
    Quote Originally Posted by devolved
    I just crashed into a schoolbus full of kiddies, killed them all, raped them, set them on fire and now I'm pissing on their charred remains.

Motorbike
    Princess Buttercup & hanging off historic sidecar #9
    Liked
    4010 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50cc scooter with built in fluffy hand mittens for winter. Pay is shit, no tips
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Motorbike
    ZX10R
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hooligan you gave it a shot didn't you?

Motorbike
    2015 MT07 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its slave labour - I was all over it when it first came out but upon consideration, it did bad things to my chi and waistline

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Known View Post
    Hooligan you gave it a shot didn't you?
    he was running a business, same deal. Made fuck all money for all the effort he put in. I still miss his burgers though
    Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.

Motorbike
    ZX10R
    Liked
    6 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    he was running a business, same deal. Made fuck all money for all the effort he put in. I still miss his burgers though
    No before Bear's Burgers I'm pretty sure he did a few shifts to test the waters with one of those delivery services.

Maybe we should invite ourselves over for burgers then

Motorbike
    Aprilia SXV550, KTM250EXC-F & Kawasaki Balius
    Liked
    3434 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uber is a corporate parasite.

It's all about not making a profit, whether it be UberEats, Uber X, etc.

It's a new way of paying people bugger all.

The food places hate UberEats because Uber takes a 35% commission, which is the restaurant's profit margin.

Thus, the restaurant is supplying food at zero profit.

They're all doing to keep some sort of market share, but no-one but Uber is making any money out of it.
    One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.
    Likes Green Trident, dwillia, Ryanoceros liked this post

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Uber is a corporate parasite.

It's all about not making a profit, whether it be UberEats, Uber X, etc.

It's a new way of paying people bugger all.

The food places hate UberEats because Uber takes a 35% commission, which is the restaurant's profit margin.

Thus, the restaurant is supplying food at zero profit.

They're all doing to keep some sort of market share, but no-one but Uber is making any money out of it.
    What's the solution?

There's a burger place I like to order from through Menulog. Got an email from them telling me they have a new app and if I want to support the business, order through there so they don't have to pay Menulog the commission.

1) I had to download an app just for this restaurant which is just stupid.
    2) It was more expensive to order through their app than just use Menulog.
    3) I deleted the app and went back to Menulog.

These food ordering services aren't going away. The demand is too high. Uber as a ride service may have gone to shit with the influx of ex-taxi drivers driving Uber bringing their sub-par customer service, driving ability and body odour with them but UberEats is only going to expand in the short term (it'll die eventually).

Motorbike
    Aprilia SXV550, KTM250EXC-F & Kawasaki Balius
    Liked
    3434 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Dealer View Post
    What's the solution?

There's a burger place I like to order from through Menulog. Got an email from them telling me they have a new app and if I want to support the business, order through there so they don't have to pay Menulog the commission.

1) I had to download an app just for this restaurant which is just stupid.
    2) It was more expensive to order through their app than just use Menulog.
    3) I deleted the app and went back to Menulog.

These food ordering services aren't going away. The demand is too high. Uber as a ride service may have gone to shit with the influx of ex-taxi drivers driving Uber bringing their sub-par customer service, driving ability and body odour with them but UberEats is only going to expand in the short term (it'll die eventually).
    Over the last couple of decades government policy has been all about deregulation, market forces, etc.

Competition is good, but Uber isn't about competition.

It's about dominance.

Uber has consistently been ignoring laws all over the world.

Menulog charge less commission but increased it late last year after buying out a competitor. Menulog's commission went from 10% (almost acceptable) to 15.4%. Link: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2582984

For the end consumer it's all good now, but let's see how it is in five years when a shitload of places have shut down and suddenly there's bugger all choice left.

If you've got a favourite food place, and want to support it, then order on the phone and pay them direct. Yeah, not as much fun as playing with a smart phone app, and it means actually talking to a live human being (instead of the modern trend toward being reclusive) but it gets the money to the people who have earned it.
    --------------------------------------
    Uber X's service levels have nothing to do with ex-taxi drivers.

Uber doesn't give a shit.

There's a pissy little office in Subiaco. And a few morons in Osborne Park.

Uber pays bugger all. If you thought that taxi drivers were sub-standard at $1.72/km then what do you expect for $1.00/km?

Uber drivers HATE Uber. Oh, they loath it.

You get what you pay for...
    One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Motorbike
    2015 MT07 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the way I see it is its always been with us, how much do you think pizza delivery drivers have been paid for the last xx years?
    Traditionally it was work for kids to earn a few bucks in their free time, HJ's Maccas, dominos etc
    but we're seeing these jobs more frequently being a source of income for a household. and thats a tough gig

I think its deplorable that ubereats charge ~35% to the vendor and $5-7 to the customer yet give so little to the person doing the shit work.

who here is a liberal voter?

Motorbike
    Bandit 1200S
    Liked
    69 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Phildo and Dwillia are on to it. The restaurants get roasted by Uberís comish (or deliveroo or menulog etc) but who else is offering a better user experience for less?

For the record, Iíve been doing pretty good with it. Granted, I already have a 125, gear, and commercial insurance etc so the barrier to entry is a sunken cost. But I consistently average $30 an hour pre tax and thatís pretty competitive with other unskilled casual jobs. Plus you get to ride motorbikes and work whenever you want.

In the long term, customers want convenient food and restaurants want to make money. Perhaps this current fee structure will fold but the ďconvenient appĒ model is likely here to stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by devolved
    I just crashed into a schoolbus full of kiddies, killed them all, raped them, set them on fire and now I'm pissing on their charred remains.

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel_of_steell View Post
    I think Phildo and Dwillia are on to it. The restaurants get roasted by Uberís comish (or deliveroo or menulog etc) but who else is offering a better user experience for less?

For the record, Iíve been doing pretty good with it. Granted, I already have a 125, gear, and commercial insurance etc so the barrier to entry is a sunken cost. But I consistently average $30 an hour pre tax and thatís pretty competitive with other unskilled casual jobs. Plus you get to ride motorbikes and work whenever you want.

In the long term, customers want convenient food and restaurants want to make money. Perhaps this current fee structure will fold but the ďconvenient appĒ model is likely here to stay.
    I think I'll stay working at Bunnings if that's what you're getting before tax.. yikes
    Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    If you've got a favourite food place, and want to support it, then order on the phone and pay them direct. Yeah, not as much fun as playing with a smart phone app, and it means actually talking to a live human being (instead of the modern trend toward being reclusive) but it gets the money to the people who have earned it.
    But the issue is...I want it delivered and so does the rest of Australia it seems. Food delivery in Australia is worth $2.6billion/year. Usually I order UberEats with my house mates on a Friday night after we've had a few beers and can't drive.

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillia View Post
    the way I see it is its always been with us, how much do you think pizza delivery drivers have been paid for the last xx years?
    Traditionally it was work for kids to earn a few bucks in their free time, HJ's Maccas, dominos etc
    but we're seeing these jobs more frequently being a source of income for a household. and thats a tough gig

I think its deplorable that ubereats charge ~35% to the vendor and $5-7
    Look at how much of the workforce is being taken away/work entitlements.

Iíve worked with a Italian guy that owned a fleet of taxis back in the day and said he was making good $$$$.
    Not the drivers themselves.

Kids back in the day could earn money delivering papers and recycling bottles.
    Not much options now

Article on red rooster delivery said that wasnít making any money from delivery and canít compete with a woolies/coles chook or drinks. Red rooster corporate making good $$$ though.
    Last edited by Halo_2; 16-07-2018 at 04:47 PM.
    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"