User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69

Thread: Opt Out Period My Health Record

  1. #1
    Member Crobbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Not a Zero Hero
    Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Posts
    5,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Opt Out Period My Health Record

    Howdy Guys,

    You may or may not be aware that the Federal Government has embarked on the digitisation of your health records.

    I think we're all big and ugly enough here to understand the privacy and security implications of this, and potential scope creep as is inevitable with Government "intiatives".

    You have a three month window to permanently opt out here:

    https://www.myhealthrecord.gov.au/fo...-health-record
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.
    Likes Green Trident, =Maz=, BillyBoof liked this post

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne (formerly Perth)
    Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Posts
    6,482
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My issue with it is...someone gets injured at work.

    A young person perhaps...who doesn't understand they have the right to choose their own doctor rather than the employer's preferred doctor.

    Suddenly the employer's preferred doctor, who is working in the interests of the employer has access to all your medical records and ammunition to use against your injury claim.
    Likes boeman liked this post

  3. #3
    Member TurboR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just a speck in the distance
    Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Posts
    15,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reason for opting out;

    Other: I have no confidence in the competency of the Australian Government when it comes to cyber security.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes Shady7/8 liked this post

  4. #4
    Member Crobbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Not a Zero Hero
    Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Posts
    5,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    Reason for opting out;

    Other: I have no confidence in the competency of the Australian Government when it comes to cyber security.
    Especially when our Government thinks Laws can supplant the rules of maths when it comes to encryption.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.

  5. #5
    Member boeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Doubleview
    Motorbike
    Yamaha R15
    Liked
    2997 times
    Posts
    5,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Dealer View Post

    Suddenly the employer's preferred doctor, who is working in the interests of the employer has access to all your medical records and ammunition to use against your injury claim.
    This.

    Something like this occurring could be the difference between you being entitled to workers compensation and getting by versus the obviously terrible alternative.

    Always put yourself and your family first, 99.99% of employers will not.
    Likes Speed Dealer, Thomas Peel liked this post

  6. #6
    Member Loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South. Just.
    Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Posts
    4,835
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.

    Here's what it does:

    In a medical emergency, healthcare providers connected to the My Health Record system can see your health information such as allergies, medicines and immunisations. This helps them to provide you with the best possible treatment and care
    Count me in. I like living.

    It's really interesting that there's an argument against it. From people who ride motorcycles.

    So the reason to add risk to your (more likely than average) potential life-or-death situation is because you mistrust workers compensation?

    Really odd priorities.

    Get income protection. Get trauma insurance. Get total & permanent disablement insurance. Get top cover health insurance. And sign up for the My Health Record.

    Because you want to put "yourself and your families first", right?

    Workers Compensation is an insurance, provided by major insurers through your employer plan. The insurer will, as with any claim relating to health, write to each of the medical practitioners you have visited. Which they know about because of Medicare. If they find something, you'll have an opportunity to dispute it.

    Which you can't do if you're dead because they couldn't access your records in time.

    Somewhere there's a whole server filled with the extensive medical issues I've had. Honest question - what risk outweighs reducing my risk of death? I can live with the embarassment disclosure might provide - and the massive financial settlement I'd demand for it.

    Just my thoughts.

    Here's a view against it that's worth a read.

    https://privacy.org.au/campaigns/myhr/

    Didn't change my mind.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

    Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes Hati liked this post

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne (formerly Perth)
    Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Posts
    6,482
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    Interesting.

    Here's what it does:



    Count me in. I like living.

    It's really interesting that there's an argument against it. From people who ride motorcycles.

    So the reason to add risk to your (more likely than average) potential life-or-death situation is because you mistrust workers compensation?

    Really odd priorities.

    Get income protection. Get trauma insurance. Get total & permanent disablement insurance. Get top cover health insurance. And sign up for the My Health Record.

    Because you want to put "yourself and your families first", right?

    Workers Compensation is an insurance, provided by major insurers through your employer plan. The insurer will, as with any claim relating to health, write to each of the medical practitioners you have visited. Which they know about because of Medicare. If they find something, you'll have an opportunity to dispute it.

    Which you can't do if you're dead because they couldn't access your records in time.

    Somewhere there's a whole server filled with the extensive medical issues I've had. Honest question - what risk outweighs reducing my risk of death? I can live with the embarassment disclosure might provide - and the massive financial settlement I'd demand for it.

    Just my thoughts.
    We've survived this long without online medical records. Maybe if there's something in my medical records that's relevant to motorcycle crash injuries I'll opt in. As it stands, there isn't.

    And this Government has a poor track record of keeping information secure.

  8. #8
    Member Loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South. Just.
    Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Posts
    4,835
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Dealer View Post
    We've survived this long without online medical records. Maybe if there's something in my medical records that's relevant to motorcycle crash injuries I'll opt in. As it stands, there isn't.

    And this Government has a poor track record of keeping information secure.
    Who's "we"? Who has survived this long?

    The people who died haven't.

    "We" survived without penicillin, computers and MRIs for a while. But they're pretty useful.

    It's information. It's already out there electronically. It's able to be accessed remotely which means it's able to be accessed by the wrong people remotely.

    This is about making it more accessible in a timely manner to the people who can use it to potentially save your life.

    And sure. There'll probably be a slip and someone will discover I have a mental illness and injury-prone hips. I'm more worried about my internet browser history.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

    Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes Skut liked this post

  9. #9
    Member Kristy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Posts
    12,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am disappoint, I thought I could opt out of my period :/

    I intended to opt out so thanks for posting as a reminder, OP!
    Likes Green Trident, Thomas Peel liked this post

  10. #10
    Member AZAZL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Posts
    5,217
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    Who's "we"? Who has survived this long?

    The people who died haven't.

    "We" survived without penicillin, computers and MRIs for a while. But they're pretty useful.

    It's information. It's already out there electronically. It's able to be accessed remotely which means it's able to be accessed by the wrong people remotely.

    This is about making it more accessible in a timely manner to the people who can use it to potentially save your life.

    And sure. There'll probably be a slip and someone will discover I have a mental illness and injury-prone hips. I'm more worried about my internet browser history.

    You're not worried that any old Tom Dick and Harry with access can find out you had the clap 5 times, not counting that nasty oral chlamidia infection?
    Likes Shady7/8 liked this post

  11. #11
    Member Loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South. Just.
    Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Posts
    4,835
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    You're not worried that any old Tom Dick and Harry with access can find out you had the clap 5 times, not counting that nasty oral chlamidia infection?
    I'm not sure how that could be detrimental to my way of life?

    What's the scenario you have in mind?
    Click Link for My Bikes:

    Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne (formerly Perth)
    Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Posts
    6,482
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    I'm not sure how that could be detrimental to my way of life?

    What's the scenario you have in mind?
    You have the hots for a woman who moved here from the Czech Republic 3 years ago.

    She's a former Russian Spy who still has contacts within the KGB.

    She uses her old contacts in Russia to either hack the medical data base or add her to the UWA Graduate List as a doctor.

    She gets access to your medical records.

    Finds out you have chlamydia due to your close contact with Koalas at the wildlife park where you work as a food and beverage attendant.

    She turns you down when you summon up the courage to ask her on a date.

    An unlikely but not impossible situation.

    And that's why I'll be opting out!

  13. #13
    Member dwillia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Nollamara
    Motorbike
    2015 MT07 2012 FZ8n
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    If you had some medical history data that would help save your life in an emergency - sure its a reasonable risk to take

    anyone healthy - fuck that, I opted out last week
    Likes Speed Dealer liked this post

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    ...
    Motorbike
    ...
    Liked
    5260 times
    Posts
    22,172
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Speed Dealer liked this post

  15. #15
    Member Loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South. Just.
    Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Posts
    4,835
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Dealer View Post
    You have the hots for a woman who moved here from the Czech Republic 3 years ago.

    She's a former Russian Spy who still has contacts within the KGB.

    She uses her old contacts in Russia to either hack the medical data base or add her to the UWA Graduate List as a doctor.

    She gets access to your medical records.

    Finds out you have chlamydia due to your close contact with Koalas at the wildlife park where you work as a food and beverage attendant.

    She turns you down when you summon up the courage to ask her on a date.

    An unlikely but not impossible situation.

    And that's why I'll be opting out!

    Don't wait - ask her out now before she finds out mate!!

    She's obviously in to you or else she wouldn't be using her KGB contacts to find out more about you. But if she's not able to identify the urine-transferred Koala chlamydia (had to Google that) from the differently-named STI from humans, is she even the right girl for you??!

    Maybe move on to a local girl. Just make sure it isn't one who has a contact in any Medical office in Australia. Because otherwise she'll be able to use one of the hundreds of thousands of logins used by Doctors to access the very same information available from the Pathology lab website. Although maybe she will think you're the one, and be interested enough to Google the strain to see that you're not a rampant whore.


    For sure I can see there would be a reason why some would choose to opt out. I'm just not one to opt out based on potential Russian girlfriends or tin foil theories.


    I see my Doctor tomorrow. I'm going to ask him his opinion and see if that changes my mind.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

    Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

  16. #16
    Member boeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Doubleview
    Motorbike
    Yamaha R15
    Liked
    2997 times
    Posts
    5,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    I'm going to ask him his opinion and see if that changes my mind.
    Mrs boeman informs me a lot of medical practices don't even have access to it yet.

    Understandable given the privacy of the information, but if medical practices aren't using it then it is pretty worthless.

  17. #17
    Member TurboR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just a speck in the distance
    Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Posts
    15,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just see it as an effective tool for the government to gather information in a manner that will allow them charge more for certain medical care, or place additional levies on insurances.

    Always ask yourself, who gains most from this financially? Or who has the potential manipulate and profit most from this information?

    Of course if you believe that the government cares more about you than the contents of your wallet then no problem.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes ritza liked this post

  18. #18
    Member AZAZL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Posts
    5,217
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    Don't wait - ask her out now before she finds out mate!!

    She's obviously in to you or else she wouldn't be using her KGB contacts to find out more about you. But if she's not able to identify the urine-transferred Koala chlamydia (had to Google that) from the differently-named STI from humans, is she even the right girl for you??!

    Maybe move on to a local girl. Just make sure it isn't one who has a contact in any Medical office in Australia. Because otherwise she'll be able to use one of the hundreds of thousands of logins used by Doctors to access the very same information available from the Pathology lab website. Although maybe she will think you're the one, and be interested enough to Google the strain to see that you're not a rampant whore.


    For sure I can see there would be a reason why some would choose to opt out. I'm just not one to opt out based on potential Russian girlfriends or tin foil theories.


    I see my Doctor tomorrow. I'm going to ask him his opinion and see if that changes my mind.
    I was just thinking, well, in the event you, say, wanted to hit on a nurse whilst at the PoxDoctor's?

    But I'll run with SD's version. Russian spy with fishnets and a satin half slip. That works.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.

  19. #19
    Member Loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South. Just.
    Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Posts
    4,835
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boeman View Post
    Understandable given the privacy of the information, but if medical practices aren't using it then it is pretty worthless.
    Are ambulance services and ER departments able to access it now? 'Cause I see them as being the people it's critical for.

    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    I was just thinking, well, in the event you, say, wanted to hit on a nurse whilst at the PoxDoctor's
    .

    Won't they have access to your records already? Or the ability to get to it if they want?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    I just see it as an effective tool for the government to gather information in a manner that will allow them charge more for certain medical care, or place additional levies on insurances.

    Always ask yourself, who gains most from this financially? Or who has the potential manipulate and profit most from this information?

    Of course if you believe that the government cares more about you than the contents of your wallet then no problem.
    Maybe. But they already have access to the amount of money I cost them via their Medicare information. So I don't see this initiative affecting that.

    It's more about a central point to access information which is already available to whoever wants it. It's already out there for good or bad, in my mind this just makes it readily available at critical times to the people trying to save your life who don't have time to hack the web.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

    Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

  20. #20
    Member BillyBoof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Harrisdale
    Liked
    5 times
    Posts
    548
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My bro is a senior software engineer for one of them big IT firms in San Francisco (lives in Perth and works on US time), one of his previous roles before starting there was dev work on medical software integration for a Perth based company 10 years ago. I asked him about this. He's choosing not to opt out, he said it's a solid system. He did highlight that the weakest link is at the doctor's surgeries, they need to be vigilant.
    Likes shan liked this post

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •