User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 469

Thread: PSB Golf chat thread

  1. #281
    Member okitoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    somewhere on earth (I think)
    Motorbike
    Bike-less now :(
    Liked
    546 times
    Posts
    3,576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pnork View Post
    So I did a silly thing.. unfortunately I can be a bit of a spendthrift, and as with many items I have purchased, my heart has ruled my brain.

    This time, I bought a new set of irons. Common sense tells me that I should probably spend more time on my game, rather than rush out and buy something shiny & expensive - but alas, it seems I lack common sense. Or something. One thing I DON'T lack, is a brand new set of 919 HMs. And a sexy new bag (the old one really does look rubbish.)

    Now to get out & hit some balls...
    Did you go for 4-PW and what shafts did they set you up with?
    "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

  2. #282
    Member Hillz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, SV650S, YZ250, CRF50
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    2,371
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if pnork has new 919's it must by time for another hack a thon ..... might i suggest elcaballo lol nice & close

  3. #283
    Member pnork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Somewhere close.
    Motorbike
    Twin
    Liked
    122 times
    Posts
    3,093
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    Did you go for 4-PW and what shafts did they set you up with?
    I've gone with the Project X graphite shafts - which I think is one of the standard options for Mizuno. I wanted something with a bit more flex than steel shafts.. honestly though, I don't think it would matter what shafts I ended up with.. or for that matter, what clubs - money would have probably been better spent on lessons/game time. More money than sense.

  4. #284
    Member okitoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    somewhere on earth (I think)
    Motorbike
    Bike-less now :(
    Liked
    546 times
    Posts
    3,576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha... yeah well 1 less excuse for bad golf
    "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor
    Likes pnork liked this post

  5. #285
    Member ApatheticEnd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vic Park
    Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Posts
    3,204
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pnork View Post
    So I did a silly thing.. unfortunately I can be a bit of a spendthrift, and as with many items I have purchased, my heart has ruled my brain.

    This time, I bought a new set of irons. Common sense tells me that I should probably spend more time on my game, rather than rush out and buy something shiny & expensive - but alas, it seems I lack common sense. Or something. One thing I DON'T lack, is a brand new set of 919 HMs. And a sexy new bag (the old one really does look rubbish.)

    Now to get out & hit some balls...
    Never a bad investment. You bought clubs that anyone can hit and will help you progress to a single figure handicap before you'd go looking for something else. The JPX line is the perfect iron for a lot of golfers. The Hot Metals give you great distance, high launch (soft landing) and you can still work the ball pretty well. Having good gear inspires me to get out there and use it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by pnork View Post
    I've gone with the Project X graphite shafts - which I think is one of the standard options for Mizuno. I wanted something with a bit more flex than steel shafts.. honestly though, I don't think it would matter what shafts I ended up with.. or for that matter, what clubs - money would have probably been better spent on lessons/game time. More money than sense.
    Do both. Gear and lessons will yield maximum fun in the end.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hillz View Post
    if pnork has new 919's it must by time for another hack a thon ..... might i suggest elcaballo lol nice & close
    I'm up for another round. I like El Cabs but not sure we'd get the uptake if it's that far out
    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

  6. #286
    Member Hillz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, SV650S, YZ250, CRF50
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    2,371
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticEnd View Post

    I'm up for another round. I like El Cabs but not sure we'd get the uptake if it's that far out
    yeah, id be keen for any course, but thought i would give elcabs a go if guys wanted a change of scenery

  7. #287
    Member Commander Keen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    Gen 2 SV650
    Liked
    2501 times
    Posts
    10,184
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hit a 53 for 9 holes Sunday. Right on par with were I was at when I stopped playing.
    Hit 5 of 7 fairways though, including longest drive on the 9th which was nice considering a play with a few power hitters. I was opening the face of my irons a bit though so I ended up having to make (and missing) quite a few clutch chips to get on the greens.
    Putting was garbage.

    I need to play more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    Why be a cunt about it?
    Likes boeman liked this post

  8. #288
    Member boeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Doubleview
    Motorbike
    Yamaha R15
    Liked
    2997 times
    Posts
    5,279
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
    Never a bad investment. You bought clubs that anyone can hit and will help you progress to a single figure handicap before you'd go looking for something else. The JPX line is the perfect iron for a lot of golfers. The Hot Metals give you great distance, high launch (soft landing) and you can still work the ball pretty well. Having good gear inspires me to get out there and use it.
    This.

    I have Callaway X2 Hots, got them 12 months ago when I got back into it.

    Are they the best thing ever for me and for golf? Nope, but they inspire confidence and I can hit them long and high when playing well. I have said at a 15hcp I will re-evaluate.

    Got a shiny new Ping G400 3 wood for my twilight round tonight as a present from the wife. Best wood I hit in store so will see how we go, very excited.

  9. #289
    Member Commander Keen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Motorbike
    Gen 2 SV650
    Liked
    2501 times
    Posts
    10,184
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okitoki might have to look at those irons you ave for sale. I want a better-than-$50-from-gumtree set that arent 20 years old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    Why be a cunt about it?

  10. #290
    Member ApatheticEnd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vic Park
    Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Posts
    3,204
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boeman View Post
    This.

    I have Callaway X2 Hots, got them 12 months ago when I got back into it.

    Are they the best thing ever for me and for golf? Nope, but they inspire confidence and I can hit them long and high when playing well. I have said at a 15hcp I will re-evaluate.

    Got a shiny new Ping G400 3 wood for my twilight round tonight as a present from the wife. Best wood I hit in store so will see how we go, very excited.
    I'm going to the expo night at Wembley on the 29th. I'll be looking to do get fitted for a 3w, and maybe put a driving iron or another hybrid the my bag. I hit 3w off the tee mostly but even at 13* the trajectory is too high, spin rate too high, and I'm losing distance. It just climbs and climbs and it's hard to get it out past 210-220m. I need to find the right shaft to get the penetrating ball flight I want off the tee. The driving iron I just want to have a crack and see if I can hit it well enough to game it. I don't ever get a chance to just try one out as I'm a lefty and they are never just on the shop floor.
    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

  11. #291
    Member okitoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    somewhere on earth (I think)
    Motorbike
    Bike-less now :(
    Liked
    546 times
    Posts
    3,576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post
    okitoki might have to look at those irons you ave for sale. I want a better-than-$50-from-gumtree set that arent 20 years old.
    haha.... yeah, only have a set of Mizuno MP15 and a set of Maxfli black dot irons which are one of the softest iron I have hit (18 years old though)
    probably have a few hybrids to get rid of too...

    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
    I'm going to the expo night at Wembley on the 29th. I'll be looking to do get fitted for a 3w, and maybe put a driving iron or another hybrid the my bag. I hit 3w off the tee mostly but even at 13* the trajectory is too high, spin rate too high, and I'm losing distance. It just climbs and climbs and it's hard to get it out past 210-220m. I need to find the right shaft to get the penetrating ball flight I want off the tee. The driving iron I just want to have a crack and see if I can hit it well enough to game it. I don't ever get a chance to just try one out as I'm a lefty and they are never just on the shop floor.
    I have been struggling with a bad hook with my 4 wood off the tee... got the GAPR Lo and King Cobra Utility iron, and they have been pretty good off the tee... still trying to decide the GAPR or the Cobra at the moment...
    Also have the Callaway APEX UT 21* but the 4iron I have now is hitting just as far as it is.
    "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

  12. #292
    Member pnork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Somewhere close.
    Motorbike
    Twin
    Liked
    122 times
    Posts
    3,093
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticEnd
    Having good gear inspires me to get out there and use it.
    Yes, I am really looking forward to getting out there & having a hit with these. Having said that, I prefer to play & don't get a lot of fun @ the range - plays havoc with my back hitting too many balls one after the other..
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticEnd
    maximum fun
    That's what it's all about
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillz
    it must by time for another hack a thon
    I'm always up for a hit
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillz
    might i suggest elcaballo lol nice & close
    Maybe if I lived in Geraldton? Seriously though, I'm not too fussed where we play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Keen
    I need to play more.
    Yeah, I think we all do...

  13. #293
    Member pnork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Somewhere close.
    Motorbike
    Twin
    Liked
    122 times
    Posts
    3,093
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Oh, and I just saw... Happy Birthday boeman!!

  14. #294
    Member okitoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    somewhere on earth (I think)
    Motorbike
    Bike-less now :(
    Liked
    546 times
    Posts
    3,576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm down for a game.... My mother will be staying with me over the next 3 months in a couple of weeks, so my game time may be limited.

    at the mean time, cheap new bag if you looking for one (Mandurah)
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mand...bag/1200581931
    "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

  15. #295
    Member GsxInShed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Next to the big hole in the economy
    Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Posts
    8,481
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ^^^ teach her to play the walk might do her good...^^^
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

  16. #296
    Member okitoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    somewhere on earth (I think)
    Motorbike
    Bike-less now :(
    Liked
    546 times
    Posts
    3,576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GsxInShed View Post
    ^^^ teach her to play the walk might do her good...^^^
    Lol.... i think she would end up teaching me.... she was the ladies captain of my home town club when i was a kid

    Just getting too old for her to walk and swing a club with bad hips unfortunately. Just broke her elbow from a fall a few months ago. So definately no golf for her
    "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor
    Likes GsxInShed liked this post

  17. #297
    Member okitoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    somewhere on earth (I think)
    Motorbike
    Bike-less now :(
    Liked
    546 times
    Posts
    3,576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    This is pretty helpful
    "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

  18. #298
    Member boeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Doubleview
    Motorbike
    Yamaha R15
    Liked
    2997 times
    Posts
    5,279
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pnork View Post
    Oh, and I just saw... Happy Birthday boeman!!
    Many thanks.

    Getting the new Sony noise cancelling headphones and my Ping g400 3 wood was good, but not as good as my first eagle yesterday arvo!

    11th at the old course Wembley. 434m par 5. Hit a Hybrid as there was bunkers at around 230m, landed sweetly to one side. Figured with 225m odd to go that a smooth 3 wood would be a good opportunity to try out my new club. I filmed the swing to send to my golfing mates, and absolutely flushed it. I could only see the top half of the flag over the hill but I knew it was straight at it, maybe long if anything.

    Cant be certain, but I think I hit the pin. My ball was behind the pin and just off to one side about 4ft. Drained the putt.

    Shot 42 on the 9.

  19. #299
    Member ApatheticEnd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vic Park
    Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Posts
    3,204
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man that is awesome. There is no better feeling than flushing a fairway wood off the deck. Doing it after a smart lay up is even better.

    I've never made a straight forward eagle (had only a couple of chances), never had an ace (no closer than 3-4ft), but I've had an Albatross. A good drive, a 5w out of the middle of the face from 190m, and a lot of luck found it in the bottom of the cup in two (after searching everywhere else). I didn't get to see it drop which was a shame but it was a cool moment when my playing partner found it in the cup.

    I was pretty happy with my play this weekend too. Kept it tidy except for one double on Saturday (8th) so needed a solid finish. Par 5 with the wind behind so I tried to hit a low running 3W to the right away from the bunker and I pulled it. Behind a tree with 250m to go. Took a 7i over the tree to lay up to full pitching wedge range and it went to plan. Easy two putt par to finish on 41. I love it when you actually play smart and it comes off.
    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.
    Likes boeman liked this post

  20. #300
    Member boeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Doubleview
    Motorbike
    Yamaha R15
    Liked
    2997 times
    Posts
    5,279
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
    Man that is awesome. There is no better feeling than flushing a fairway wood off the deck. Doing it after a smart lay up is even better.

    I've never made a straight forward eagle (had only a couple of chances), never had an ace (no closer than 3-4ft), but I've had an Albatross. A good drive, a 5w out of the middle of the face from 190m, and a lot of luck found it in the bottom of the cup in two (after searching everywhere else). I didn't get to see it drop which was a shame but it was a cool moment when my playing partner found it in the cup.

    I was pretty happy with my play this weekend too. Kept it tidy except for one double on Saturday (8th) so needed a solid finish. Par 5 with the wind behind so I tried to hit a low running 3W to the right away from the bunker and I pulled it. Behind a tree with 250m to go. Took a 7i over the tree to lay up to full pitching wedge range and it went to plan. Easy two putt par to finish on 41. I love it when you actually play smart and it comes off.
    I would take an albatross over an ace any day.

    I have had one other legit chance for eagle. 286m par 4 on the 3rd hole at Marangaroo that goes over a hill. A 240m drive to the left and it pretty much feeds onto the green. Had a 10fter for eagle and lipped out. Tap in birdie though so I will take it, but ever since I have worried when my next eagle opportunity would come. I actually assumed I would hole out on a par 4 before having another putt.

    Smart play is where its at. I only hit the hybrid because I knew it would leave a 3w in if it went to plan and I was dying to hit the new club. Literal fairytale. Birthday, new club, first eagle. Afterwards I just tried to focus and make a good score out of it and it went to plan. Had 2 doubles but on the index 2 and 3 holes so still got 2 points on each and after bad shots that was my goal.
    Likes ApatheticEnd liked this post

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •