Liked
    546 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well once you have played more than 20 rounds
    "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boeman View Post
    So now I have had 7 handicap rounds from my last 8 outings.

Thats great, until it means in another few months they will drop out every single week.
    I just pushed my very best ever round (82) off my handicap calc. That hurt. Added 0.8 to my handicap.
    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Public service announcement. The online booking sheet at The Cut doesn't seem to recognize that Monday is a public Holiday so the price is the normal discounted Monday rate. $49.50 walking is damned good value.
    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.
    Likes boeman liked this post

Motorbike
    Yamaha R15
    Liked
    2997 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
    Public service announcement. The online booking sheet at The Cut doesn't seem to recognize that Monday is a public Holiday so the price is the normal discounted Monday rate. $49.50 walking is damned good value.
    Factor in that $30 of golf balls I normally lose there and its still a good deal.
    Likes Commander Keen liked this post

Motorbike
    Bike-less now :(
    Liked
    546 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    boo.... no golf for me for the next 2 weeks... even though I will be at Bali and Hanoi... no chance for golf
    "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Factor in that $30 of golf balls I normally lose there and its still a good deal.
    Ha. Lay up man. It's not long so you can afford to go long iron off the tee. I plan on only hitting one or two drivers (the first par 5 is long as is one of the par 4 doglegs but both have mercifully wide fairways) on Monday. The rest will be 2i and 3w for just that reason.

Motorbike
    Yamaha R15
    Liked
    2997 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell me about balls everyone.

At the end of the current box of Wilson Duo and last week when playing a provisional I hit an old ProV1.

I noticed on my wedge approach I zipped it back 1m to be pin high. Never happens with the Duo and on chips as well I tend to land it where I want (wedge and chipping is my strenght) with good contact, only to watch it roll out 20ft.

So, bang for buck TP5 maybe to give them a whirl (currently $48 at Golfbox)? Or maybe for the same price some reconditioned ProV1s?

Playing twilight tonight, want to give it a whirl to see how much extra spin I get off the tee (eg slice miss) vs gains on checking the ball up on approach shots and chips.

Motorbike
    Liked
    546 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personal observation.... it does effect the feel of it.... soft 2 piece balls fells more "solid" on drive compare to premium balls but the ball check on greens are more noticable with premium.

Soft cheap balls doesnt fly as high for me, but with that it will roll further in general.

Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím a total ball snob. Iíve been playing TP5s for over a year. They spin and check the way I expect and feel good off the putter face. Everything else is secondary. I was looking for something a bit cheaper lately so I grabbed a sleeve of Srixon Q-Star tours. They promise a soft feel and spiny uerethane cover with a lower compression rating than the TP5s. Nope. They roll out too far on high and low chips and feel dead by comparison. You could learn to play around it but itís not worth it to save $20 to me. There are much better players than me using rubbish balls and scoring lower though so who the fuck knows.

The low price of TP5s at the moment is the runout price for the 2018 ball as the 2019 is out. They are $60/dz normally.

Motorbike
    Liked
    546 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct... i played with old guys who plays with any shit balls they find from the bottom of the lakes and still play just as well, if not better than me.

But i do admit that i sometimes wonder how my shots would hqve been if i had used a premium ball then

Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Playing a club comp at Pinjarra on Sunday. Looking to salvage some respect as I had a horror day there last time. I'm off tomorrow so I'll probably play at least 9 holes in the morning or afternoon.

Is anyone planning to go the the Super6 at Karrinyup next weekend? https://www.worldsuper6perth.com/
    If you've never been to any tour event it's worth getting down for a look. It's nuts to watch people that aren't just good at the game but are professionals. They play the game really differently to you or I. It's cheap to go and it's always been really well run.

Motorbike
    Yamaha R15
    Liked
    2997 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
    Playing a club comp at Pinjarra on Sunday. Looking to salvage some respect as I had a horror day there last time. I'm off tomorrow so I'll probably play at least 9 holes in the morning or afternoon.

Is anyone planning to go the the Super6 at Karrinyup next weekend? https://www.worldsuper6perth.com/
    If you've never been to any tour event it's worth getting down for a look. It's nuts to watch people that aren't just good at the game but are professionals. They play the game really differently to you or I. It's cheap to go and it's always been really well run.
    I am away for it, but went last year and echo the sentiment of seeing how pros play. Lee Westwood hitting the ball is a sound I will never replicate.

Playing the old faithful vines sunday, she will be warm.

Last weekend played Whaleback as that was the only option. 35pts and 87 off the stick. Another handicap round for me which I am happy with, left some shots out there though.

Down to a 15.8. 5 shots improvement since December 1st.
    Likes Commander Keen liked this post

Motorbike
    Gen 2 SV650
    Liked
    2501 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to figure out what my current irons even are, they have "The Hoss" and "The Big H" cast into the head but I can't find anything about them online.
    They are likely ~20 years old so I'm going to swing some new blades at Golf Box this afternoon.

Any tips on a good forgiving iron for a high handicapper? I don't care about distance but accuracy and feel are high on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    Why be a cunt about it?

Motorbike
    Twin
    Liked
    122 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post
    Trying to figure out what my current irons even are, they have "The Hoss" and "The Big H" cast into the head but I can't find anything about them online.
    They are likely ~20 years old so I'm going to swing some new blades at Golf Box this afternoon.

Any tips on a good forgiving iron for a high handicapper? I don't care about distance but accuracy and feel are high on the list.
    Have a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72wEAAAgNg4

Motorbike
    Liked
    546 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is a set of XR 4-PW irons going cheap on Gumtree.... otherwise, there is a set of 714 AP1 too but slightly more expensive for 5-GW ....

Motorbike
    Yamaha R15
    Liked
    2997 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post

I will +1 my current set of Callaway X2 Hot irons.

Can't see myself using anything else for a while, and will only upgrade as a present for a handicap milestone.

That said, anything that is a game improvement iron that is fitted to you for shaft length and stiffness should be the goods. Archer not the arrow kinda job, I am guilty of it. I think anything made in the last 5-10 years that is fitted will be as good as anything for the average golfer. Average I would say is about a 12 handicapper and above for most folks. After that I guess feel and feedback and workability becomes a thing.

Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a decent day at Pinjarra today with 35pts. Got off the tee pretty well and just missed a few clutch putts. Highlight of the day was a perfectly mapped out and executed long par 5. 3w off the tee on the tiger line, 2i lay up to 65m, 52į to 6ft, 1putt for a 4 point birdie. It turned me around after a bad double on the hole before.

I had a guy in my group that has a GA of +2 and went one under par off the stick. It was great to watch someone with a really strong game like that. It made me play better as I wasnít so focussed on my bad shots because I was spectating between shots.

Motorbike
    Yamaha R15
    Liked
    2997 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humble brag.

My 2 month streak of improvement decided to apparently reach a dramatic crescendo yesterday.

Par on the 1st, pretty happy. Made a putt from just off the green on the 2nd for birdie, really happy.

Went on to par every hole up to the 8th to be -1 through 7. Then went bogey, par, par. Even off the stick through 11. Double bogey on 16, finished par/par on 17 and 18.

Finished up with 78 off the stick. 47 points, played to a 6.5. Won the comp and also best gross playing off 17 (15.8GA handicap now a 14.1).

Just hit my 3w down the centre 230m every single time. Unbelievable. No amazing long putts really, just made sure my 2nd putts for par were inside 3ft.

Thank you for reading my story of how I played actual golf once.
    Likes okitoki, Commander Keen liked this post

Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humble brag.

My 2 month streak of improvement decided to apparently reach a dramatic crescendo yesterday.

Par on the 1st, pretty happy. Made a putt from just off the green on the 2nd for birdie, really happy.

Went on to par every hole up to the 8th to be -1 through 7. Then went bogey, par, par. Even off the stick through 11. Double bogey on 16, finished par/par on 17 and 18.

Finished up with 78 off the stick. 47 points, played to a 6.5. Won the comp and also best gross playing off 17 (15.8GA handicap now a 14.1).

Just hit my 3w down the centre 230m every single time. Unbelievable. No amazing long putts really, just made sure my 2nd putts for par were inside 3ft.

Thank you for reading my story of how I played actual golf once.
    Wow. That is a breakthrough! Sub 80 is a huge milestone! Time to go buy some blades
    Likes boeman, Hillz liked this post

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, SV650S, YZ250, CRF50
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a part of him lives with in you..

Last edited by Hillz; 12-02-2019 at 03:10 PM.