Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious about what you're cleaning and how often? Are there any other methods that you can use to go through less kero?
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crobbo View Post
    What's your setup? I've heard of this dunny roll filters bit never seen one.
    I have tried 2 methods. 1st one was basically making a tampon and inserting it up a tube and letting gravity fed kero go thru it. Once removed, the toilet paper was dirty meaning it had worked to some degree but the kero was still black.

2nd method I tried last night...had a 90mm OD PVC pipe with an end cap. holes drilled axially around near the base of the pipe.

I rolled a roll of dunny paper around the outside of the pvc pipe, I then inserted the rolled up paper into the pvc pipe and added the kero thru the center.

Very similar to attempt 1 except this created a greater surface area. Once this was filtered, I tried running it thru a carby fuel filter. The difference pre/post filter was minimal judging by eye.

Again the toilet roll was black so must have absorbed some dirt.

The kero was cleaner but I wouldn't classify it as clean...kinda like a Rocko girl after she showers?

Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    I'm curious about what you're cleaning and how often? Are there any other methods that you can use to go through less kero?
    Just general stuff around the shed chains/engines/air filters?tools.

Don't go thru much just hoping not to throw out kero which seemingly still works but is dirty and this "dirt" may remain in the "cleaned" part.

Any suggestions as an alternative?

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not an alternative as such.

Kerosene is brilliant but it leaves a residue which will break down clean oil just as well as it cleaned off the old oil. I use it as a first step and follow it up with a detergent wash, water rinse and blow-gun dry to make sure none of the residue remains. I'll even use acetone if there's nothing it's going to eat, like 'o' rings.

Granted the residue is going to be massively diluted if you're using litres of oil in an engine, but after decades of experience with roller skate bearings (where you use 2-3 drops of sewing-machine oil) it's a process I stick to. And it has the benefit of removing any dirt that could be left over from re-used kero.

I'm not sure but do the elements of kerosene that make it a good cleaner evaporate over time? Are they the hydrocarbons? I don't know. Sort of like how petrol does. Maybe there's a petrochemical-ist here that knows. It just might not be worth saving repeatedly is all I'm thinking.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes datsikk liked this post

Motorbike
    Honda CBR 1000 RR. CBR 600 RR track
    Liked
    695 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, how much are you actually saving by cleaning your kero? Is it worth the effort and can you justify possibly having to reclean parts because your kero isn't as 'potent' after several filtering cycles?

I personally value my time more than replacing a few litres of kero...
    SP RACINGis supported by:
    MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
    Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
    Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au