0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

08 r6

Hi

I havent ridden for about 2 years and the previous bikes I have owned were a 250 KTM EXC enduro and a 1998 R1 (Shouldnt have sold it) which was an easier bike to ride in my opinion.

The R6 is a great bike but makes me feel like a complete novice which has caused me to question choice. The riding position is aggressive and the seat height is a bit too high for me. I also suffer from back pain sometimes and after a days riding im now on the sofa in pain even after necking 2 neurofen. I will battle on though as im sure my core strength will improve over time and pain will subside.

I will take it to dynotime to get the suspension set up for me and maybe I would benefit from some helibars to make it more comfortable but its too early to tell.

I have 2 track days at Barbs on 29th Sept and 1st October so I will try to get more seat time to familiarize myself with it.. Obviously the R6 is more at home on the track so with time I think it be a lot of fun once I get a feel for the bike and my skills improve.

I have ordered some motul RBF 660 brake fluid, speed bleeders, motul 300v oil, k&n oil filter. I also need some new fast road/track pads, I was thinking perfomance friction?

Anyways if any other R6 owners out there has any advice for me that would be good.
    Last edited by Dunc; 12-08-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully you'll get used to it - there is no better or faster way to acquaint yourself with a bike than to take it to the track. Not that I have had a lot of seat time on them, but the 06+ R6's just didn't work for me (the model before that though were great). Riding it normally was fine but as soon as I got off the seat my upper body refused to play - I felt awkward, tense and remember finding myself heading for the kerb at one point. You say you're short - they aren't necessarily taller than any other bike, just their wide seat takes a good inch or so out of your legs... I had the 06 R1 and was was worlds apart compared to an R6.
    Likes Dunc liked this post

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R6 your taking your life in your hands, just stay the fuck away from Newcastle st, unless you're very lucky
    Likes Kristy, Tron, Para045, Heretic liked this post

Motorbike
    2003 R6 Road bike; 2008 R6 Race bike
    Liked
    154 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I race the 08 R6 and have an older one for the road. Body position is crucial to being comfortable on the bike. Speak to the coaches on your ridedays and ask for their feedback throughout the sessions to improve on it. Things like appropriate angles on your hands, position of the knees on the tanks, rear set position (may need to go aftermarket to get the adjustment) and generally gripping with your legs not your arms etc.

At the end of the day, they are a supersport race bred bike, not a cruiser, they won't be as comfy as them or something more uprigth (ie the Yamaha MT series).
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone."

Motorbike
    R6
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you elaborate on that more pls Water pig

Cheers

Motorbike
    R6
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Hopefully you'll get used to it - there is no better or faster way to acquaint yourself with a bike than to take it to the track. Not that I have had a lot of seat time on them, but the 06+ R6's just didn't work for me (the model before that though were great). Riding it normally was fine but as soon as I got off the seat my upper body refused to play - I felt awkward, tense and remember finding myself heading for the kerb at one point. You say you're short - they aren't necessarily taller than any other bike, just their wide seat takes a good inch or so out of your legs... I had the 06 R1 and was was worlds apart compared to an R6.
    Ye my 98 R1 was more comfortable too, I think due to it having a 800mm seat height. The 08 R6 has a 845mm seat height and as you said its wide.
    The GSXR 600/750 is 810mm so I might go and sit on one of them. I actually wanted a GSXR 750 but the R6 came up cheap and I have always wanted a 06+ R6.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBloke View Post
    I race the 08 R6 and have an older one for the road. Body position is crucial to being comfortable on the bike. Speak to the coaches on your ridedays and ask for their feedback throughout the sessions to improve on it. Things like appropriate angles on your hands, position of the knees on the tanks, rear set position (may need to go aftermarket to get the adjustment) and generally gripping with your legs not your arms etc.

At the end of the day, they are a supersport race bred bike, not a cruiser, they won't be as comfy as them or something more uprigth (ie the Yamaha MT series).
    Cheers for the advice. It helped gripping more with legs.
    Id like a Tuono factory if money was no object, now that would be a good road/track bike!
    Last edited by Dunc; 11-08-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    Likes BillyBoof liked this post

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're after comfort from a supersports the CBR600RRRRR sits a lot lower than the R6 and is a bit more upright too. That's where I'd be looking, especially given your comment about the helibars... please don't do that.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the issue with the R6 is ergos then the CBR6 and Gixxer6 is pedestrian by comparison - I say that in a good way as the ergos of both just work for me - what I feel comfortable on is what I ride because it makes me a better rider. I've had an 07 CBR6 and have an L1 gixxer6; the gixxer6 is my bike of choice. If you are looking to race, avoid the 750 - you'll be racing with thous, not 6's.

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post

Cheers
    Just a reference to another post from a while back, nothing to worry about

Motorbike
    R6
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my back was cracking and creaking all night and it was very hard to put my socks and boots on but I still went for a ride this morning.
    Im just gonna suck it up and stop being a pussy. Im sure my body will adapt.

I really clamped the tank with my legs and focused on my core strength which helps.

Cheers for all the advice

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first time I took my CBR6 to the track I was really bracing with my arms to stop my body weight sliding forwards because my knees were actually on the frame, not exploiting the tank grooves so my arms were the only thing that stopped me sliding forwards. Once I got rearsets and adjusted them for optimum tank exploitation all was fine. Bracing with arms is the equivalent of riding white-knuckled and makes it harder to turn the bike.

There are cosmetic mods and there are mods that actually make the bike easier/better to ride. My standard, first-up mods are rearsets, levers and braided lines.

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toughing it out for a while is an option but don't put money in to it until you're sure it's for you - which riding some other bikes will help you determine.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You only get one back Dunc. Take care of it.

I say that with experience and meeting a lot of other people with serious back problems.

What can be a little bit of pain here n there can turn into months/yrs of hell. Dont think I have to tough it or people will think youre a sissy. Put yourself first not other peoples opinions. Recover while you can and give that bike away. A little financial loss now is nothing compared to what may come if it gets bad. Trust me no one ever thinks it will happen to them but it does.

Better bikes out there 4 sure.
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.
    Likes Gim, Dunc liked this post

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you isolate the body aches and pains to the bike? My back was killing me - i'd started riding again and started swimming. It made sense it was the introduction of those 2 things - doing too much without easing my body into it. I stopped both for 3 months and was immensely frustrated/confused that it didn't get better. It actually wasn't either of those two despite the link being seemingly obvious.

Motorbike
    VFR800+Tenere660+Postie Bike
    Liked
    72 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fit a "Lorenzo" tank.....?
    Likes Kristy liked this post

Motorbike
    2011 Gixxer 600
    Liked
    2552 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
    Fit a "Lorenzo" tank.....?
    I hope OP has got a spare $25 million Euro
    Likes Davidf liked this post

Motorbike
    Harley Davidson FXSB, Ducati 916S, Piaggio MP3 250
    Liked
    5055 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you find yourself not liking your bike then it's time to move onto the next one.

i've done this around 45 times

i've also kept bikes i didn't like for far too long and wasted far too much money trying to live with them or make them something i could live with.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Water pig View Post
    Just a reference to another post from a while back, nothing to worry about
    Near Miss - Newcastle Street - R6 - Sunday Evening
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator
    Likes INTJ liked this post

Motorbike
    Honda CBR 1000 RR. CBR 600 RR track
    Liked
    695 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big question is, do you like the bike enough to spend a bit of money on it? When we raced the R6, we had to flatten out the bike quite extensively, due to the aggressive stance. We found that the turn in on the bike was quite quick and we could not get enough traction out of the rear tyre...

I would go and test ride some other bikes and see if they fit better. There is no poin, in my opinion, to ride a bike that gives you aches and pain over a prolonged period of time...
    SP RACINGis supported by:
    MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
    Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
    Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Motorbike
    R6
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway my back feels better today. I think I just need to adjust to the bike and build the supporting muscles up again.

I will keep the bike for at least 6 months and if it is still bothering me I will buy a different bike. Maybe even a supernaked.

Cheers for the advice.
    Last edited by Dunc; 16-08-2018 at 05:37 AM.