Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6-10 thousand kilometres a year? On an older Italian bike? You'd be doubling the odometer in the first year. The servicing costs would be crippling, let alone fixing a broken part on one of your big rides - which becomes long service leave while you're waiting for the part to arrive. Selling a high kilometre one in a market where you have to compete with coffee tables? Yikes.

As an only bike - go Jap.

And no-one has mentioned the Ducati Diavel - that's a piece of bike. An ugly piece, but one worth the mention.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"
    Likes TurboR1 liked this post

Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich... View Post
    Got a $100 here that says my 550cc V twin will eat a 1000cc inline four on urban streets...
    You on a Vespa would beat most 1000cc inline 4s on the urban streets.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    Hot tub SRAD time machine
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i reckon if your missing the 1200 your missing the large inline 4, not necessarily just the torque, its the feel the vibe the smooth nature of a 4 inline, ive worked out im a bit of a fan after going to twins for the last 6 years, not sportsbikes as such fair enough, an the little 650cc Zuke motor is a true burster but ive worked out i really like an inline 4. i also really like the fact the japs have been building them since the 70's and know exactly how to get decent hp, reliability, usability and long life out of them. 100k+ ? no problem.

i kind of like the sound and the whole idea of a twin but turns out i dont like them to own. each to their own ay.

how about a BMW twin, they'll do 6-10k a year no prob. well the big ones maybe not the 800's as much unless thats all been worked out now?

best v-2 i had was the RGV / and later RGV engined aprilia , so same same but different as its firing twice as much than a 4t v-2 so has a diferent character
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMW. I was afraid to talk of one.
    I have had fours, six cylinder, two stroke twins

The 18 year old R1100s still puts the biggest smile on my face. Around 140,000 kilometres on it now.

Love the Remus system. Hopped on it August 2017 did 1477 km in one day.

Once a year oil and filters. Shaft bearings around seventy thousand.

Goes down the twisty roads well enough. Top end is missing but power where you need it on normal roads.

Often not considered and a round the block test ride may not impress. DQ when selling this to me let me go out to Obrien Road twice! Thanks DQ you were the best ever salesman. Even took me on an introductory ride to Dewllingup so I could learn to work it lol.
    Last edited by Graelin; 11-09-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich... View Post
    Got a $100 here that says my 550cc V twin will eat a 1000cc inline four on urban streets...
    Just like an MC22 i4 would beat a Vtwin Harley supergliderod on suburban streets
    Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.

Motorbike
    (TY-250- RD350LC- Gsx 750 esd) Current -Gsx 250 SSM GSX 1100 EFE
    Liked
    304 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Para045 View Post
    mm long range fuel tank..that is special..

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't there an RC8 for sale on here somewhere..?
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Liked
    339 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrsism View Post
    No all good. Thanks for the input all.

So a couple of things need fillin in.

Riding habits are if there are no kids or extras then two wheels it is. Usually put somewhere like 6-10k kms a year. Rain hail shine. Usually a big trip here n there.

Definitely avoidin the used condom look. Guzzi oit. Def no hardleys/cruisers, would rather die.

Love good suspension, handling. Pretty good with a spanner now after a few bikes.

And yes I shouldnt have watched the vid.

So whats the deal with the italian bikes if you can swing a spanner? Parts relative or priced above the japs?

Budget is just moderate easy for a jap but maybe enough for italian. Definitely not newish. Could sell my Swiss army knife XR if I get hooked.
    The after sales service will make or break the european bike owning experience they are a bike not juju, parts are generally cheaper although harder to get hold of depending if the importer is relying on just in time business fail philosophy or actually intends to support the product they are selling. In Perth back up service is a bit spotty although people like Corse Motorcycles, Pro Twin and Thunderbike Motorcycles are worth talking too.

The only real issue with deadcat is that after 35 000kms the resale value drops through the floor. Some of the sporty twins miss the point of the engine layout, Honda second gen Aprilia and Suzuki got caught up chasing HP numbers to print in a marketing brochure ending up with a motor with all the disadvantages of a twin and none of the advantages.

Things that stand out Moto Morini, although i'm not sure they are still a going concern, any of the 11 degree tetastrada powered Ducatis Diavel Multistrada and I think Monster and 1200 Street fighter, and the KTM 1290 series Superduke/GT etc. If youc an find a Griso for sale and available for test ride its certainly worth a look out of the group it will have the most robust engineering and best back up service in Perth . MGS-01 not road registrable there might be 6 in the country and GL finding one for sale.

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nero Diablo View Post
    Honda second gen Aprilia and Suzuki got caught up chasing HP numbers to print in a marketing brochure ending up with a motor with all the disadvantages of a twin and none of the advantages.
    I'm sorry, did you just say Panigale?
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Liked
    339 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    Never ridden one fuel tank way too small to be useful as a bike, but entirely possible.

Motorbike
    Old Ducati's (trouble) '06 R1 (reliable)
    Liked
    2 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nero Diablo View Post
    Some of the sporty twins miss the point of the engine layout, Honda second gen Aprilia and Suzuki got caught up chasing HP numbers to print in a marketing brochure ending up with a motor with all the disadvantages of a twin and none of the advantages.
    He's basically described every race rep IL4 since the GSXR1000K5. The previous gen ZX10R had a searing top end but couldn't pull back it's own foreskin through the bottom/mid range.

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which is the whole point of an I4... the searing top end.

When Ducati attempted to do the same with the Panigale and give it top end surge they sacrificed the torquey push down low. This resulted in a woeful showing in WSBK and also put the nail in Chili's career as he tried to ride it like the older 1098/1198, and subsequently crashed his brains out. Only now after some fairly drastic changes have they managed to claw back some of qualities they lost.

Motorbike
    Old Ducati's (trouble) '06 R1 (reliable)
    Liked
    2 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which is the whole point of an I4... the searing top end.

When Ducati attempted to do the same with the Panigale and give it top end surge they sacrificed the torquey push down low. This resulted in a woeful showing in WSBK and also put the nail in Chili's career as he tried to ride it like the older 1098/1198, and subsequently crashed his brains out. Only now after some fairly drastic changes have they managed to claw back some of qualities they lost.
    Yup, Iíll happily agree with that, lol. I think you meant Checa? But pretty much agree all the same.

Interesting point for the OP: race reps do not a good road bike make. An instant torque 1198 makes for a better road focussed engine than a top endy 1199. But thereís no arguing that a Pani is a Victoriaís Secrets model in the weight department: less weight never goes astray.

Horses for courses. Itís not like you are saddled with the thing for life, whatever the result itís interesting fodder for the memory bank, and itís easy enough to move on if it dorsnít suit.
    Likes TurboR1 liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh shit... yes Checa not Chili... Riders of a different era. My apologies.

I remember being at PI when I had a front row seat of Checa's collision and KO.

Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Im more interested in real world riding as opposed to what a bike can do on the track. Wouldnt mind hitting a track day or two but reality is Im the wrong side of the weight scales to take up riding on the track seriously.

I dont really like comparing results of races as an indication of a bikes potential either. Often its the riders skill making the difference, that and theres a bit of difference between a heavily modified and a road ready bike. I actually prefer the results of superstock racing as a bit better indication but yet again rider skill is the difference.

A good track bike might be a shite town bike too. Been looking at a few options. The more vids I watch the more I like what I see. Some guy pulled up a few doors down on a monster the other day which sounded pretty sweet. He gave it a good workout heading out onto the main drag.

Life is pretty fast paced this last week. Havent even got out on the motard. Maybe tomorrow?
    Last edited by xrsism; 13-09-2018 at 09:11 PM.
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.