User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Twins 2 4s n back

Motorbike
    2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 RSV4 Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thro View Post
    The one thing ABS may help with on the toad is unexpected loss of traction. E.g. patches of oil.
    Not even, in most user manuals (motorcycles) they state that ABS may not assist on dirt, ice, snow, loose surfaces. Again it can’t produce grip where there is none. Cars are a bit different as it’s all about being able to steer, and cars steer better when the wheels are turning.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    VJ22 RGV250, MC22 CBR250RR(R), CBR600RR, CBR1000RR Repsol
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst i dislike ABS as well, bikes do tend to be more stable when the front wheel is not locked as well.

Witness how many front end loses in cold/wet conditions in MotoGP, for the average fair-weather ham fisted muppet on a motorcycle caught in a sun shower ABS might be a benefit.

But it is mostly about safety theatre these days. Stick an ABS sticker/system on the bike. Put a disclaimer that it doesn’t work in whatever conditions in the manual. Say to the EU safety commission that you did everything you could.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Motorbike
    BMW R100RS, K100RS, SV1000S, GSX750F, XR650L, XR650R
    Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    I've ridden many bikes and driven many cars with ABS, I don't know at which points they change generation, but to give you a clue what I've ridden with it, 2011 ZX10R (road and raced), 2012 ZX10R, BMW S1000RR road and track, Panigale, MT-09, MT-10, R1, RSV4F... so yes all bikes manufactured after 2011. And I could still feel the ABS when it activates, and it is still the most horrible unsettling feeling when you are hard on the brakes lining up the apex with the rear starting to go light and then the ABS starts pulsing robbing you of braking power and you go sailing past your tip in point.

It was so horrible when racing that I removed and by-passed it on the race bike. When the Race ECU goes in it totally gets rid of the entire ABS electronics. Pretty much every other race bike on the grid bypasses the ABS system because it has such a negative effect on brake performance. It's the fucking worst.

ABS can do one thing... and one thing only and that is reduce how much brake pressure is in the system going to the pads. It cannot magically generate more grip from the road, it cannot correct poor bike geometry from getting off the gas and onto the brakes incorrectly, it cannot flatten the front tyre out to give more contact patch, all these things must be done by the rider.

ABS is only a band-aid solution to mask shitty hamfisted braking technique. In a mad panic brake, immediate full fist on the brake lever, then it may stop you falling over, but it won't out perform a rider that get off the gas and onto the brakes correctly.

As for cars, it has a few extra merits as the beauty is the you can still steer with near on full control, which is the point of the system in the first place. Thing is most people when they are in a panic braking situation don't steer around their hazard, they do much like what most motorcyclist do and crash into the very thing they are wanting to avoid.

You can still feel the pulsing in modern cars as well, we had a 2016 Golf GTi, and absolute rocket of a little car, all round massive disc brakes, and for shits and giggles I smashed the brake pedal and sure enough I felt the pulsing through my foot and the sounds coming from the car were ones I never wanted to hear again.

So if in 94 you didn't feel anything through the lever... I'd bet the ABS wasn't activating , and the braking you were experiencing were just decent brakes doing what they do.
    Very interesting. Maybe you're right. Maybe I was just accidentally riding well...

I know one thing - when I hopped back onto my RS (with its opposed piston Brembos) I thought "fuck, what happened to my brakes?"

Motorbike
    BMW R100RS, K100RS, SV1000S, GSX750F, XR650L, XR650R
    Liked
    59 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAZL View Post
    You need to become familiar with the xs750 special.

80's shit bike story:. Swapped a XT600 for my youngest bro's XS he had parked upright under a tray back truck. The tray missing breaking his neck by inches. Under the subi subway.

Everything was wrong with that bike. Cursed. The owner before bro was a mate of his that sold it to him to finance a trip to sydney. Cursed.

The mate cut sick party style in Kings Cross for a couple of weeks until Anzac day when he looked through a hole in the sky (A psychotically favourite song). Went through it with the aid of a 12 guage pump. 10th anniversary of his Viet vet dad ending his own life. A nice young bloke gone forever.

So no paperwork and we're riding a dead man's bike for a few years until the piece of shit drops a valve and I chuck it in a trailer and over to the balga tip.

30 years later and the cursed things are more desired than xs650s!
    Yeah you're right. The early model XS750s were shitboxes. I thought they had a reputation for doing big ends, but it may have been valves. By the time they got to th E model they'd fixed it, and the F was a good bike too. But they had such a bad rep that the next model was the legendary XS850G - the only bike I've ever bought new. Same engine as the XS1100 but with one less cylinder. Big, heavy thing, but solid as a brick shithouse and reliable as the sun. And fucking good on dirt too, with all the unsprung weight. I used to love overtaking dirtbikes on the dirt roads into rallies on that thing....

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    491 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XS850? Even more gutless than a guzzi
    Hey there, Hey fella.

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You all missed the TX500.

How did Yamaha survive such wonders of the XS250? To go from performance two strokes to these what were they thinking.

A lot of forgettable bikes there.
    Likes thro liked this post

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Steak View Post
    I used to love overtaking dirtbikes on the dirt roads into rallies on that thing....
    Thought that was the R100RS?
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graelin View Post
    I liked my XS650, apart from vibration and flexible frame it was good to ride.

Ha ha I remember my father had one of those back in the day, from memory it was an ex council parking inspector bike he bought from Pal & Panther (now MC Pitstop) but with a bikini fairing fitted
    He even had one of those helmets as well that came with it
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator
    Likes Graelin liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graelin View Post
    A lot of forgettable bikes there.
    About 80% of all of them.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 80% of all of them.
    Some had potential, they brought reliability and performance others had no reason to exist. I swapped a 750 Honda for the Yamaha because it felt like a motorcycle. The 750 Police Special was more popular among police but did nothing for me as a ride. A bike in paper can look good but the ride uninspiring. I still love my BMW which is nothing on paper but comes together as one machine on a road I enjoy. Does nothing special but puts a smile on my dial though.
    Likes Thomas Peel, Gim liked this post

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh for sure, there was plenty of development during the time and the rate of change was greater than it is these days as the manufacturers were figuring out what worked and what didn't. More often they put together stuff that didn't.

Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh for sure, there was plenty of development during the time and the rate of change was greater than it is these days as the manufacturers were figuring out what worked and what didn't. More often they put together stuff that didn't.
    This was exciting looking forward to the variety, I,lost interest the first cbr with plastic covering the engine the soul hidden from view. I was stuck with seventies and eighties bikes. Yes you had to ride them even fight them as engines outstripped frames in development. A perfect bike can be a boring bike if it gives no feedback. In saying that a modern bike is so easy to ride. My 93 Bmw was so far ahead I had to,learn to ride it. Then my 2000 model more precise. A loaner 1200 so easy to turn in.

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing about eighties bikes, was if you survived it meant you could ride a bit.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits
    Likes Rich..., Graelin liked this post

Motorbike
    VJ22 RGV250, MC22 CBR250RR(R), CBR600RR, CBR1000RR Repsol
    Liked
    4787 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chew View Post
    One thing about eighties bikes, was if you survived it meant you could ride a bit.

Some of the (very) late 80s bikes like the sports 400s and 2T 250s are pretty well sorted
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Motorbike
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the bikes, much like the cars were rubbish in the sense that one or more components out performed another component by a fair margin... typically power exceeded the chassis/frame and the tyre's abilities. So what you got was a bike that not before too long (or too high a speed) would let you know something was about to give. And for the most part it was fear of impending doom that kept you in check. And it was the extremely talented/brave/foolish that got the most out of them.

Modern bikes (and cars) will allow even the the most average of rider (driver), go to a point that far exceeds their ability. Sitting on 200kph+ on any superbike built from about '98 onwards is no big deal, I recall the 2004 R1 was geared for 160kph in 1st, so the capability of the bike was never a question. It's only when things go wrong that you suddenly need a true understanding of what to do to get you out of the shit you just got yourself in. And that is what is beyond most.

Put someone on a 1970's/80's bike and tell them to sit on 160kph on Del Park Rd and then get them to do it on a bike built in the last 5 years and see which bike makes them sweat more by the end.

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)