User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Personal import option, anyone done it?

Motorbike
    '11 R6
    Liked
    49 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personal import option, anyone done it?

G'day all, been a while!

Moving back to Perth next year, hoping to bring my 2011 R6 and 2015 YZ450F with me in the shipping container with the other household crap.

Been reading through the customs website, looks like I meet all the criteria, but it's mostly geared towards cars. The only obvious difference on the bike compared to an Aussie R6 is that the front indicators are the Seppo style that stay illuminated until you signal. As for the YZ, seeing as it's never going on the road I can't imagine ADR's would even apply, just proof of ownership to avoid import duty?

Anyone got any useful info?
    Giggity.

Liked
    339 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And an import permit and clean enough to make it through quarantine. Not a big deal just make you have it sorted before it lands.

Motorbike
    Honda NC750D Integra
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall some of the BMW bikes being imported from LHD countries needed the headlight lens changed so the verge illumination is on the correct side. If you bring your bikes from Dubai, they would probably make you change them.

Liked
    339 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hati View Post
    I recall some of the BMW bikes being imported from LHD countries needed the headlight lens changed so the verge illumination is on the correct side. If you bring your bikes from Dubai, they would probably make you change them.
    That will be or may be required for rego which will be a state matter import is da feds.
    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Motorbike
    '11 R6
    Liked
    49 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input guys, yeah the initial (probably the biggest) hurdle is getting the import permit, otherwise customs wonít even let it in the country. Going to call them later in the week to see how hard itís going to be. Iíve heard quarantine go through it pretty thoroughly too, so will be making sure itís spotless. After that the rego is just a case of getting it over the pits.

I hadnít thought about the headlights, I can always borrow another headlight unit to get through inspection if it is different, youíd be having a shit day to cop a yellow over that!
    Giggity.

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LHD headlights will blind oncoming drivers. RHD headlights aren't hard to find for your bikes.

Have you thought about selling the bikes and replacing them when you're back?
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Motorbike
    Trackwhore & SuperRetard
    Liked
    46 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've went through the process with my racebike in 2008. I brought it with me from Canada. Not being registered it's a different case than yours but I can share with you what I learned. I had to send photos showing that it was in race trim as I'd owned it for less than a year at the time.

Quarantine - This is no joke and can create a seriously hefty bill. Strip everything, all panels off, clean and degrease everything. Or just take it to a good detailer and pay for 8 hours of work. The inspector for mine put a hand into the belly pan looking for dirt/soil, moved it to see the contact patch for the same, and ran a finger around the rear wheel looking for ANYTHING. She looked pissed when sh didn't find anything. You'll pay for this service (around $400 from memory but not sure so check) and they will spread all of your shit around a warehouse floor and leave it for you to put back. If they find anything, well you're fucked. One of the below mentioned mouth breathers will steam/pressure/abrasive water jut cutter your pride and joy to death, charge you hundreds +transport, then you get to line up to get buttfucked by the AQIS inspector again. And get this, if the mouthbreather didn't do a good job, you get to pay again. Seems fair right? I didn't go through this with mine, I had to have a pair of hiking boots cleaned which was just a laughable affair but heed my caution on the AQIS point, they do not fuck around.

Shipping costs are nothing compared to the MUA bullshit charges - If less than a full container (break bulk) or even if it needs to be forked out for inspection, you'll pay for a militant fuckwit that is 2/3 to a retard to fork it out of the container it's shipped in where he will damage it with impunity, landing fees, paperwork fees, unloading fees, I'm a cunt fees, you're a cunt fees, we're all cunts fees... Mine added up to more than a grand from memory.

GST - Yup, you bought it, you paid tax before, they don't care. You'll pay 10% on the declared value and they might decide your value is too low and charge 10% of whatever the fuck they want. You'll have rego and pit inspection after this but you know that already.

Delivery to you - You probably won't be able to just go down and get it depending on the clearing agent. You may have to pay for a tail lift truck to drop it to you.

So take a look at the market price vs replacement price in Perth and decide if it's worth the roughly $2500 that will be extracted from your anus by the the feds before the state even lubes up.
    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest or internet.
    Likes wheel_of_steell, Sauer, Water pig, Heretic liked this post

Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^ and by the time you pay for all of that airfreight is almost on par.

From what I understand you get to skip all of the quarantine b.s. or at least dealing with the militant union warfie fuck knuckles.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Motorbike
    2009 Honda CBR600RR
    Liked
    130 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ApatheticEnd that's a cracking great read! Thanks for the laugh
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    "No, no. Not Sawyer like the valley. Sour like sweet and sour, only European"
    Likes ApatheticEnd liked this post

Motorbike
    CB1300
    Liked
    128 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I brought 4 bike back with when we returned to Aus, 1 road, 1 track and 2 dirt. They went in the container with all the other stuff, each in their own crate.
    The paperwork is easy enough, just follow the instructions. As above make sure they're clean also make sure the crate is the right stuff, the wood needs to be certified etc. the shipping Co. should know that though.
    And as of recent you may need to get a cert to state there's no asbestos in the things.
    GST will be paid on everything, road or not.

On retrieving from the shipper, I turned up with a trailer, broke them out of the box and cleared off, but Darwin.
    Doug

Motorbike
    '11 R6
    Liked
    49 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, it definitely sounds like it could turn into a big (expensive) fuck around if someone feels like being a prick when the container lands.

My main reason for bringing them back with me was knowing that theyíve both been well maintained since new, no real emotional attachment and both are stock so no commitment with go fast bits etc... it might be worth taking a bt of a hit selling them here and saving the potential grief with the authorities.

Thanks again,
    Mike
    Giggity.
    Likes Green Trident liked this post

Motorbike
    Triumph Trident
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmikkee I think you won't regret it in the long run, I brought a couple of bikes into Aussie in the 80's & 90's luckily they were pre 1975 but it was still a head fuck.
    In the late 90's a friend of mine brought a Suzuki Intruder in from Thailand, then later shipped in on to NZ. He later said how incredibly different things were on either side of the Ditch. Aussie gave him so much grief with compliance and red tape, NZ just wanted a GST payment...
    The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
    G T

Motorbike
    Hot tub SRAD time machine
    Liked
    609 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
    I'm a cunt fees, you're a cunt fees, we're all cunts fees...
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Liked
    49 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moved from Perth to NZ at the end of 2016, took 2 motorbikes, a trailer, and some household shit all in one 20ft container. NZ Customs inspector wanted to look at the bikes and trailer, and picked out various other bits from the list ( all motorbikes parts and the pushbike ) to check the cleanliness of them. I'd prepped properly, and had no problem there. The agent I used was a fucking useless oxygen thief, would have had less problems and "oh yeah I forgot to mention that" if I'd just done it myself and researched as I went.

Anyway, now I'm coming back to Perth early next year, and going ( hoping ) to bring 3 cars, the 2 bikes and trailer, tools, and a few domestic items. Gonna put 1 car on the RORO ship, the other 2 cars and the 2 bikes and trailer in a 40ft GP container. The biggest hurdle I'm anticipating is the asbestos thing, so I'm going to remove the brake pads and clutches from the 2 cars and bikes in the container, and all the engine gaskets from the cars ( the engines need work anyway ), to me that's the easy way to get around that one. Ain't no asbestos there if there's no gaskets or pads...... Obviously the car on the RORO ship will have to be in drivable condition, but that's a modern car so should be ok regarding asbestos, I'll just have to clean it properly.

Putting the bikes over the pits is ( well it was when I did it in 2010 and 2016, even with dodgy import paperwork from a, as it turns out, well known in the trade shit cunt motorcycle importer, north of Sydney but south of the NSW / QLD border ) fairly easy and not overly expensive. Hopefully that hasn't changed, and the cars are similar.

Good luck mate, I'll be watching as we're going along the same path.