Liked
    5 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BBWTK about travel insurance

Looking for recomendations for travel insurance for me and the missus.

I thought we were covered by home insurance or as part of our mortgage deal but just found out there's Nada there.

Any tricks or traps we need to look out for?

Motorbike
    CB300F
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used World Nomads. It was reasonably priced and easy (online, quick). Recommend.

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use HBF. Read the fine print about riding motorcycles if that is in your plan.
    -
    Likes =Maz= liked this post

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RAC here, there is some coverage if you pay for the trip with certain credit cards as well.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's a bit vague in the PDS then get it in writing.

I was looking for someone to insure me riding in Vietnam...Australians can't get a local licence in Vietnam so you're riding illegally over there.

A few insurers said no problem as long as you've got the Aussie licence.

I asked for that in writing, none would give it to me. Upon insisting further, all eventually said I won't be covered, even the one who swore black and blue it wasn't an issue.

Some companies also only cover up to 250cc. Check! Check! Check!

If you're wondering what I meant about riding in Vietnam, this is from the RAC website.

AAA is still getting a lot of queries in regards to an IDP for Vietnam. An Australian IDP is not recognised in Vietnam. According to the Ministry of Transport of Vietnam, Vietnam accepts IDPs issued by countries who are members of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic 1968, of which Australia is not a member. Australia is under the 1949 Convention.

You are required to have a valid Vietnamese driver's licence to drive in Vietnam for all vehicles, including motorcycles of 50cc or more. Non-Vietnamese citizens are only permitted to drive in Vietnam if they hold a temporary Vietnamese drivers licence. Fines for driving without a valid driver’s licence vary.

For a temporary Vietnamese driver's licence, the applicant must hold a valid Vietnamese residence permit of at least three (3) months validity.

Motorbike
    CB300F
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is some info from the Global Nomad website.

8.2 List of adventure sports, activities & experiences
    Contact us before you buy this policy for clarification if an adventure sport, activity or experience is not listed in this section.
    Key:
    (1) Level 1 - Automatically covers Level 1 sports, activities & experiences in the Standard Plan and Explorer Plan.
    (2) Level 2 - Upgrade required - Also includes Level 1 sports, activities & experiences.
    (3) Level 3 - Upgrade required - Also includes Level 1 & 2 sports, activities & experiences.
    (X) Not covered - There is no cover for this sport, activity or experience.
    (*) You must be with a professional, qualified and licensed guide or operator
    (#) You must have the appropriate qualification, certification or license to participate in this sport, activity or experience
    (-) Refer to another sport, activity or experience as shown

M
    Manual work (see work) (-)
    Martial arts (cage fighting, kickboxing, mixed martial arts, Muay Thai) (X)
    Martial arts (judo, karate) (2)
    Martial arts (non-contact) (1)
    Mongol Rally (X)
    Moped / scooter biking# (1#)
    Motorbiking (off road)# (3#)
    Motorbiking (on road)# (1#)
    Motorbiking (pillion passenger with a licensed driver)# (1#)
    Motor racing (driver) (X)
    Motor racing experience (passenger only) (1)
    Mountain biking over 6,000 metres in elevation (X)
    Mountain biking (cross country) up to 2,000 metres in elevation (2)
    Mountain biking (cross country) up to 6,000 metres in elevation (3)
    Mountain biking (downhill) up to 6,000 metres in elevation (3)
    Mountain biking (on road) see cycling (-)
    Mountaineering (X)

What's not covered - Specific Exclusions under Section 8

7. Participation in any motorsport rally, race, competition or show.

8. For motorised vehicles:
    not wearing a helmet where one would be required in Australia, regardless of the local laws; and
    operating any motorised vehicle without a valid licence for the same class of vehicle or watercraft in Australia and as required in the relevant country where you're travelling; or
    riding as a passenger in or on any motorised vehicle or watercraft where you know or you should know your driver does not have a valid licence in their country of residence and as required in the relevant country where you're travelling.

9. Where you don't hold the required certification or licence for an activity (which is specified by a hash (#) in the list of adventure sports and activities), or you're not with a professional, qualified and licensed guide or operator whilst performing an activity (which is specified by an asterisk (*) in the list of adventure sports and activities); refer to Section 8.2 - List of adventure sports, activities & experiences.

Motorbike
    Ducati
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are planning to rent a car, any travel insurance will only cover the excess typically $5-10k and you will need to have additional cover in place called Collision Damage Waiver unless its included in the rental

Motorbike
    None for now.
    Liked
    247 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always go through insure4less

Made 1 claim with them and it was very straightforward. Pity the emergency root canal wasn't as painless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gareth_oau View Post
    If you are planning to rent a car, any travel insurance will only cover the excess typically $5-10k and you will need to have additional cover in place called Collision Damage Waiver unless its included in the rental
    Rent a car direct through Alamo website (if travel to USA) and CDW is included for foreigners

Motorbike
    Yamaha R15
    Liked
    2997 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pay $199 for a credit card each year that includes travel insurance, and have the PDS for it which reads exactly the same as the travel insurance I have paid for seperately previously.

Provided I book my flights and accom on the card, I am covered. Have used it before with no dramas.

Motorbike
    2006 Suzuki GSX1400, 2008 Suzuki SV650
    Liked
    833 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We travel internationally for sporting activities and as such the travel insurance offered by Allianz is the one we use..
    All I've got and more for #294...RIP Chris Adley
    #158...RIP James Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    Wooohoo !! Fucking 10/10 ride. Cheers for that Aari, you really conditioned my sphincter

Liked
    2779 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boeman View Post
    I pay $199 for a credit card each year that includes travel insurance, and have the PDS for it which reads exactly the same as the travel insurance I have paid for seperately previously.

Provided I book my flights and accom on the card, I am covered. Have used it before with no dramas.
    I have one of those ANZ Travel Rewards credit cards that has insurance, but only covers motorcycles up to 250cc.
    -

Motorbike
    Yamaha R15
    Liked
    2997 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agrid View Post
    I have one of those ANZ Travel Rewards credit cards that has insurance, but only covers motorcycles up to 250cc.
    Touche, only used mine for non-motorcycle related and Bali scooter hire for surf trips.

I know for my old man he has to get the action/adventure package (or something along those lines) with I think Allianz to cover him for larger bikes when he does motorcycle tour stuff with his mates overseas.

Motorbike
    Bike-less now :(
    Liked
    546 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last time we used AusPost's travel insurance which covered a year of travelling...
    We didnt do any adventure/exciting activities and just the usual vanilla coverage.

Had a few trips during the year, so was worth it... fortunately we didnt need to use it though
    "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Liked
    5 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool beans, thanks for the recommendations, will get on the blower and start reading pds's.

Motorbike
    Ducati
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
    I always go through insure4less

Made 1 claim with them and it was very straightforward. Pity the emergency root canal wasn't as painless.

- - - Updated - - -

Rent a car direct through Alamo website (if travel to USA) and CDW is included for foreigners
    Sometimes it is. We’ve found that the bigger Chev Suburbans etc often dont include and its an extra $30/day for CDW

Motorbike
    None for now.
    Liked
    247 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah CDW is usually even more than the fucking car rental rate, it's mental. Kinda like the $13 Las Vegas hotel rooms who add on a $59 nightly 'resort fee'. Scam scam scam scam scam scam scam