Liked
    144 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iom tt

FINALLY booked in for the TT - going in 2019 for a mate's bucks/stag do. Problem #2 is now I need a bike.

A few options:

1) Buy a bike there, not a problem as such - potentially pointless as I can't bring it back, and have the pain of selling it - generally get a hrie car when I'm over there for ease so not keen on keeping it there somewhere

2) Rent a bike. Bastard expensive, $900 per week plus a $6,000 deposit so we're talking $7,800 for the trip (all things being right I should see $6,000 of that back). Stress of having a hire bike. Insurance covers up to $4,500 of the deposit on the plus side

or

3) Ship a bike over for the trip and back. still trying to price this one up which is why I ask

I know there are a few IOM TT companys out there - I've sorted accommodation and the ferry so literally just need to get the bike there and back - has anyone used anyone to do it that they would recommend? There are a few companies who fill containers and ship etc but can't find any solid reviews.

I posibly have a car in a container to come back over which means I could potentially just need to get it over there.

Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome, If I could get the right bike between now and then and keep it long-term then it would be awesome to do a solid road trip on it.
    Likes Tron liked this post

Motorbike
    Expensive Espresso Machine
    Liked
    389 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hire bikes donít allow you to do the TT mad sunday.
    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably easiest to buy a bike there ~$4k and then sell it for ~$3k meaning you've "hired" a bike for $1k without the need to put down a deposit.

Insurance however, make sure you get it.

If you want to take your bike over, these guys seem to be the go to, but I think you still need to get your bike to the Eastern States.

https://www.getrouted.com.au/isle-of-man/

The cost of shipping a bike around the globe is huge, you could buy a bike there for that price easy, and probably get most of that back when you sell it.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Motorbike
    2006 Suzuki GSX1400, 2008 Suzuki SV650
    Liked
    833 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our last trip through Europe I contacted a bike shop and purchased a bike with an agreement that they would buy the bike back...price was negotiated, everyone had a win.

The insurance was the worst part...I did my homework and LOTS of planning with email and phone conversations with insurers. Good thing I did because that was the only thing that saved my arse...they listened back to the recorded conversations and agreed to honour the promises they had made to me months in advance. A win in the end but a whole lot of stress to get the outcome.
    All I've got and more for #294...RIP Chris Adley
    #158...RIP James Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
    Wooohoo !! Fucking 10/10 ride. Cheers for that Aari, you really conditioned my sphincter

Motorbike
    honda CBR1100xx norton commando 850
    Liked
    85 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep us posted on your best outcome. I was really sad this year when I went without a bike and saw everyone else getting a bit more out of the experience. I promised myself next time* I'll be able to ride around that beautiful island

Motorbike
    K1300S & VTR1000 & Husky TE510
    Liked
    142 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 2013 I hired a bike from Superbike Rentals near London, they were reasonably priced & had no problems with me doing the IOM Mad Sunday.
    Farrider #41
    I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings,
    I'm a drunk, I go to parties.