User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Harley-davidson creates new advanced technology r&d facility in silicon valley

Motorbike
    Harley Davidson Fatboy Lo
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harley-davidson creates new advanced technology r&d facility in silicon valley

HARLEY-DAVIDSON CREATES NEW ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY R&D FACILITY IN SILICON VALLEY

Company is recruiting top EV Talent to build its Capabilities for New Products and Segments

MILWAUKEE (Sept. 5, 2018) – Harley-Davidson, Inc. (NYSE: HOG) announced today it will establish a new research and development facility in Northern California to support its future product portfolio, including the company’s first complete line of electric vehicles.

“Recently we shared with the world our accelerated plans to build the next generation of Harley-Davidson riders globally,” said Matt Levatich, President and CEO of Harley-Davidson, Inc. “This new R&D facility in the heart of Silicon Valley will help us deliver on those plans and demonstrate our commitment to lead the electrification of the sport.”

In July, Harley-Davidson shared details of its “More Roads to Harley-Davidson” growth plan. Through this accelerated plan, the company is expanding the Harley-Davidson community through new products, broader access and stronger dealers.

As part of that strategy, Harley-Davidson will launch its first electric motorcycle, LiveWire™, in 2019. That motorcycle will be the first in a broad, no-clutch “twist and go” portfolio of electric two-wheelers designed by the company. It will be followed by additional models through 2022 to broaden the portfolio with lighter, smaller and even more accessible product options to inspire new riders with new ways to ride.

The new facility in California, which will serve as a satellite of the Willie G. Davidson Product Development Facility in Wauwatosa, Wis., is expected to open in the fourth quarter of 2018. It will initially focus on electric vehicle research and development, including battery, power electronics and e-machine design, development and advanced manufacturing. Long term, the company may consider expanding the center’s focus to an increased range of advanced technologies that uniquely leverage the rich talent in the Silicon Valley and support its most comprehensive and competitive lineup of motorcycles across a broad spectrum of price points, power sources and riding styles.

The company has already begun recruiting top talent in electrical, mechanical and software engineering, with experience in developing and delivering a wide variety of EV systems from design through production. The facility will initially employ a staff of approximately 25, most of which the company intends to hire from within the Silicon Valley area.

“This is an exciting time in Harley-Davidson’s incredible history, and it’s also an exciting time to join our company and help shape our future,” said Levatich.

For more information on the “More Roads to Harley-Davidson” plan, follow this link. For a variety of career opportunities at Harley-Davidson, including roles at the new research facility, please visit us at https://www.harley-davidson.com/careers.
    Stay upright

Motorbike
    Aprilia RS250, GSXR750 Slabbie
    Liked
    906 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harley-Davidson Technology?

Ahh this must be a thread for oxymorons. Okay, I'll play:

Army Intelligence.
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Liked
    739 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like they want to lead the EV motorcycle pack.

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzza WA View Post
    “Recently we shared with the world our accelerated plans to build the next generation of Harley-Davidson riders globally,” said Matt Levatich, President and CEO of Harley-Davidson, Inc. “This new R&D facility in the heart of Silicon Valley will help us deliver on those plans and demonstrate our commitment to lead the electrification of the sport.”
    Kudos to them for building androids to ride Harleys?

As for oxymorons, HD and sport in the same sentence?

Seriously though, good to see someone taking the lead.

Best oxymoron by a mile is still "Copperart"
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Motorbike
    Gpx 250 suzuki bandit 1250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    clutchless twist and go HD.

ah. so basically harley are making big electric scooters. that wont corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraletic View Post
    little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...
    Likes CbrRider81, Green Trident liked this post

Liked
    460 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harley have been quietly working on electric motorbikes for a while now, sounds like they're getting serious.
    frankly I'm baffled.
    National pride should not be a crime!.

Liked
    2943 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a very clever move for a company in financial strife to get the jump on its competitors in an emerging market. They built their first prototype back in 2014 and have been carting it around the world getting input.

When you look at their new ranges they are definitely trying to push into other markets not in their normal demographic target. The regime in their home country will be sympathetic to the push of a good ol' U.S. brand as well.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope it works for them.
    Their gasoline models are shit.
    Likes chew, BusaSteve, Para045 liked this post

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    317 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But what about the noise??...cant see 1%ers riding them
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Motorbike
    Raj
    Liked
    901 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A piece of cardboard in the spokes did it for me when I 8.

I haven’t got an answer for a substitute for the compulsory revs while stationary at the lights.
    They could just scream, “Brummm Brummm”.
    Likes ReCon liked this post

Motorbike
    98 TITANIUM CBR1100XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
    Liked
    1150 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A piece of cardboard in the spokes did it for me when I 8.

I haven’t got an answer for a substitute for the compulsory revs while stationary at the lights.
    They could just scream, “Brummm Brummm”.
    They'll just have a pre recorded soundtrack electronically linked into the engine
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Motorbike
    CBR 125 Fully Sick Edition, Z1000, XJR13 hunjy. The wife
    Liked
    1143 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many companies have rebranded to become powerhouses of their market slot.

This ex[?] commercial monster looks like it saw the writing on the wall, long before the market did and perhaps has recognised the holes that are not yet filled.

It will be interesting to view opinions on the brand in a decade, and who the primary customer base is. The 'bikies' used to ride Kwakas and anything else was ridden by pussies, so it's not as though it hasn't happened before...

The new 'must have' for the next generation of millenials + 20 might have the HD logo on the tank...
    Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.