User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Tamiya & other kitset models

  1. #1
    Member zadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sea Change South of Rockingham
    Motorbike
    Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 8V & BMW G 650GS
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tamiya & other kitset models

    I have constructed several Tamiya models over the years, the last about 30 years ago!
    Recently I decided to have another go. I purchased a Honda RC166 250cc Six as ridden at one time by Mike Hailwood.
    It was an extremely fiddly build, in which the rear spoked wheel started losing spokes at the slightest touch! I now don't have a rear wheel! The front wasn't much better, but it had enough spokes left to just hang in there.
    Previous models I've made have had alloy wheels and been easy to put together.
    I've just put together a few pics of the stages.
    I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has made some of these models and see some of their pics as well.



    Marty 3005

    Moto Guzzi Stelvio & BMW G650GS

  2. #2
    Member Crobbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Not a Zero Hero
    Motorbike
    The lil tractor that could.
    Liked
    631 times
    Posts
    5,205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy shit that's intricate.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.

  3. #3
    Member Ryanoceros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Retired from riding
    Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Posts
    6,312
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll be buying the new Tamiya R1-M for Christmas



    I've been building Revell car kits lately, might post up some pics later
    Rest in Peace

    #294


    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.
    Likes Graelin liked this post

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SOR
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Posts
    4,013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ryanocerous may remember the Spitfire. Kindly donated for a client that I am working with. He loved building and painting it so I donated the Hurricane. He had never built planes before and has helped with our work together.




    I have recently thrown my CBX1000B model that I built in 1984. It fell and broke into many pieces.

    I have had this CB 750 kit stored for many years

    Last edited by Graelin; 23-09-2018 at 05:36 AM.
    Likes FJ Steve, Ryanoceros liked this post

  5. #5
    Member shortSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    second hole down from the back of her neck
    Motorbike
    honestly, it's just a bruise....
    Liked
    1372 times
    Posts
    5,438
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Tamiya do amazing models, plastic, diecast and r/c. Was lucky enough to tour their factory in 2003 while racing the tamiya cup, fkn awesome place. Wanting to get back into rc kit building and static but can't find the time...when the right kit comes along i will make the effort though
    yes, i am ignorant
    yes, i am a prick
    no, i don't care
    you make me sick
    Likes Graelin liked this post

  6. #6
    Member zadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sea Change South of Rockingham
    Motorbike
    Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 8V & BMW G 650GS
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shortSteve View Post
    Tamiya do amazing models, plastic, diecast and r/c. Was lucky enough to tour their factory in 2003 while racing the tamiya cup, fkn awesome place. Wanting to get back into rc kit building and static but can't find the time...when the right kit comes along i will make the effort though
    Whoa, that would have been awesome alright.
    Marty 3005

    Moto Guzzi Stelvio & BMW G650GS

  7. #7
    Member Ryanoceros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Retired from riding
    Motorbike
    KTM Duke 200, Tryhard Gayowner, and a tractor with sik scooter wheels
    Liked
    56 times
    Posts
    6,312
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graelin View Post
    Ryanocerous may remember the Spitfire. Kindly donated for a client that I am working with. He loved building and painting it so I donated the Hurricane. He had never built planes before and has helped with our work together.




    I have recently thrown my CBX1000B model that I built in 1984. It fell and broke into many pieces.

    I have had this CB 750 kit stored for many years

    Iím glad the kit went somewhere worthwhile Grae ! Iíve been using them to work on my hand skills for uni but I knew Iíd never finish that one. The paint scheme is probably outside of my skill level too hahaha
    Rest in Peace

    #294


    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    A note for CM's. Don't be fucking girls. You can pass anything. Just fuckin' "Nail It". Take ya panties off you faggots.
    Likes Graelin, xor liked this post

  8. #8
    Member TurboR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just a speck in the distance
    Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Posts
    15,917
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I used to have dozens of Tamiya kits, my brother probably 100's everything for F1, Tanks, RC battery and Nitro you name it we built it. Would be keen to get into it again one day. Sadly all my models and kits are now long gone.

    There are many "Detail Up" kits available which include photo etched metal parts to really add some detail to them and take your models to the next level.

    I was tempted to give Top Studio a go;
    https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Top-Studio...5172114&chn=ps as they look highly detailed too.

    You can even buy 1/6 scale chain kits...
    https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/12674/index.htm
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"
    Likes Graelin liked this post

  9. #9
    Member TurboR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just a speck in the distance
    Motorbike
    2001 ZX7R Whale. 2007 RSV1000R Factory. 2012 ZX10RR Endurance Special.
    Liked
    3663 times
    Posts
    15,917
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Check out this detail up kit for Tamiya's 1/12 McLaren MP4/6

    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Top-Stud...oAAOSwvAhbUNWk


    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

  10. #10
    Member ReCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Bay
    Motorbike
    CBR 125 Fully Sick Edition, Z1000, XJR13 hunjy. The wife
    Liked
    1143 times
    Posts
    5,868
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My old man used to do highly detailed trucks in the 70's and 80's to wind down after work. [as a long distance truck driver, which was ironic.. ] . White Road Bosses, Peterbuilt, Mack and Kennys. He has a pretty big collection and has carried them all over the country.

    They would literally take over a year and sometimes 2 , for him to build, paint and detail, as he could rarely take the time to set up since he was due to do another East-Wester in a day or 2.
    I would save up and my Mum and myself would buy him a new one every second Christmas and another for his birthday. Many were often left for years before finished
    He still has them now and are willed to my younger Brother, who will, in turn, will them to his Son. Yep, they are still works of art to this day.

    Alas, the genetics were never handed down and we are just not able to pay the necessary attention and dedication to achieve the results he did.

    My admiration goes out to those who have the motor skills, patience and dedication to do them now. I am eternally jealous...
    Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.
    Likes Graelin liked this post

  11. #11
    Member Cone Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Perth W.A.
    Motorbike
    Honda VFR 800 2016
    Liked
    42 times
    Posts
    1,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I've got the Tamiya Honda VFR750 kit sitting in my cupboard, waiting for myself to get around to building it. Thought it would be nice to have seeing I have this bike's Great great grand son sitting in the driveway.
    It will be my first Motorcycle/automotive kit. I usually do planes, ships and tanks and the usual stuff.


    Quote Originally Posted by zadok View Post

    It was an extremely fiddly build, in which the rear spoked wheel started losing spokes at the slightest touch! I now don't have a rear wheel! The front wasn't much better, but it had enough spokes left to just hang in there.
    You can buy a better wheel than the stock kit. At the price, it looks like it is made from a metal.

    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tamiya-1...AAAOSwZW5Z6NC5
    https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-...9b69115b595fa5
    Likes TurboR1 liked this post

  12. #12
    Member shortSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    second hole down from the back of her neck
    Motorbike
    honestly, it's just a bruise....
    Liked
    1372 times
    Posts
    5,438
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Well this thread prompted me to get off my ass and down to the hobbie shop. Starting from scratch so bought the 1/24 tamiya honda nsx. Base painted parts still on trees, touch up as assembling. Detail is surprisingly intricate, front sway bar so thin it was like string. Once all glued in position looks mint. Needed another paint (chrome silver for exhaust parts and engine/dash detail) so picked up a 3000gt while at it. Will do a 90's jap exotica collection i recon . Fd rx7, 300zx, celica gt4 and maybe an evo. Then wanna do some 1/12 kits, enzo, 240z and carrera gt. Skills improving by the day, now to stop being lazy and start masking of detail for better finish.
    yes, i am ignorant
    yes, i am a prick
    no, i don't care
    you make me sick
    Likes Graelin, Ryanoceros, FJ Steve liked this post

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SOR
    Motorbike
    Twins
    Liked
    1244 times
    Posts
    4,013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    After six months away I revisited my client. From the early days of the Ex rhino's Spitfite build things have changed. A display cabinet purchased and four model plane kit sets built! Now he has bought an air gun to paint models. Has asked to build another model insisting that I take it home when finished.

  14. #14
    Member vosHonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Ashfield
    Motorbike
    CB500X
    Liked
    43 times
    Posts
    355
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a good one.
    Likes Graelin liked this post

  15. #15
    Member zadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sea Change South of Rockingham
    Motorbike
    Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 8V & BMW G 650GS
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
    I used to have dozens of Tamiya kits, my brother probably 100's everything for F1, Tanks, RC battery and Nitro you name it we built it. Would be keen to get into it again one day. Sadly all my models and kits are now long gone.

    There are many "Detail Up" kits available which include photo etched metal parts to really add some detail to them and take your models to the next level.

    I was tempted to give Top Studio a go;
    https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Top-Studio...5172114&chn=ps as they look highly detailed too.

    You can even buy 1/6 scale chain kits...
    https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/12674/index.htm
    Go for it. It's time cosuming as you must know, but rewarding.
    Marty 3005

    Moto Guzzi Stelvio & BMW G650GS

  16. #16
    Member zadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sea Change South of Rockingham
    Motorbike
    Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 8V & BMW G 650GS
    Liked
    0 times
    Posts
    326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone Cat View Post
    I've got the Tamiya Honda VFR750 kit sitting in my cupboard, waiting for myself to get around to building it. Thought it would be nice to have seeing I have this bike's Great great grand son sitting in the driveway.
    It will be my first Motorcycle/automotive kit. I usually do planes, ships and tanks and the usual stuff.




    You can buy a better wheel than the stock kit. At the price, it looks like it is made from a metal.

    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tamiya-1...AAAOSwZW5Z6NC5
    https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-...9b69115b595fa5
    Thanks for that. The wheel kit cost just as much as the whole kit cost to buy!
    Marty 3005

    Moto Guzzi Stelvio & BMW G650GS

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •