User Tag List

Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Dual sport recommendation for dirt newb?

Motorbike
    Z300
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dual sport recommendation for dirt newb?

So I'm wanting to get into the dirt. I'll also use the bike for occasional commute and will be needing to ride to the off road trails, so keen on a dual sport.

I'm short of leg, although use to gravel roads I'm new to dirt riding, and as I'll be at stop lights often I'm in need of low(er) seat bikes. Atm thinking of xt250 or crf250 - any others I should be considering? Wr250 looks great but tall dammit. Maybe even re himalayan 410? I'd like to fit in some camping so some weight carrying capacity and rack mounting usedul to

Motorbike
    Z300
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also read reviews of klx250s and in street bikes found kawa gear box more enjoyable than the hondas. Klx doesn't seem to have the same fan base as others tho?

Motorbike
    Cbr 500r, crf 250r, Daytona 675
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you fit on a drz 400? If so, it would be hard to beat for your requirements. Bulletproof reliability, a true all rounder

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're a dirt noob, LIGHT WEIGHT, LIGHT WEIGHT, LIGHT WEIGHT! I made the mistake of getting a DR650 to learn dirt on, which was way too heavy, especially in sand.

A DRZ400 is about as heavy as I'd go, though by the sounds of it you'd struggle to get a leg over it.

A couple owns Overlander Adventure Equipment in Midvale, and his missus is really short, they had her WR250 lowered, and she rode it (solo I believe) offroad across Australia a few years back.

Motorbike
    94 cbr1000f
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with water pig get ya self a drz400 like he said great all rounders.

Motorbike
    ZX10R, DRZ400SM, Speedmaster 865, YZ250
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DRZ is the greatest all rounder ever made, they do everything acceptably, no one thing is fully awesome but it will do what ever you want ok and never break down

suzuki should pull there finger out & upgrade it to a 6speed 450/500
    "Itís not going to judge you like a fucking Volkswagen would."

Motorbike
    S.A.K.
    Liked
    43 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crf and xt are good starter bikes for offroad. Pretty reliable, cheap to run, hardy, light enough to flick around and start the fun stuff and not many parts to fix. Perhaps the suspension is not the best but a lot of info and parts out there to upgrade with. Can be bought very cheap. Not too much power and easy to handle, which is a good thing starting off and just getting used to the offroad thing. Upgrade to something better later and your experience grows.
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.
    Likes Z_rider liked this post

Motorbike
    Z300
    Liked
    0 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't put the drz in the equation but sounds like I should check it out, no doubt I wouldn't use the extra cc on the dirt but probably would make those highway sections a bit better.

I just found a copy of Australian Trailrider that has a 'how to get into trail' feature, great timing!

- - - Updated - - -

I do find the dirt bike seat heights more complex to judge off paper, way more sag than street bikes but that depends on weight also

Motorbike
    MT09
    Liked
    1569 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't already, join the Facebook group Perth Adventure Riders. Very helpful crew and from time to time they organise 'snail trail' days for new riders...or at least used to.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/221156381414242/
    Likes shortSteve, Z_rider liked this post

second hole down from the back of her neck
    Motorbike
    honestly, it's just a bruise....
    Liked
    1372 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Z_rider View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't put the drz in the equation but sounds like I should check it out, no doubt I wouldn't use the extra cc on the dirt but probably would make those highway sections a bit better.

I just found a copy of Australian Trailrider that has a 'how to get into trail' feature, great timing!

- - - Updated - - -

I do find the dirt bike seat heights more complex to judge off paper, way more sag than street bikes but that depends on weight also
    most of the dirt orientated dual sports (drz400, CRF, KLX etc) have around 250-300mm rear travel. Expect to lose around 1/3 in rider on sag, so take 80-100mm ish off the advertised seat heights. I have had 2 drz400e's, both ran the low seat so I could get tippy toes on ground (167cm tall). I now have the sm version with 17 inch rims and slightly less travel, no low seat needed and good range of dual sport/knobbyish tyres available. The klx250 and wr(x?)250 both have SM versions also, knocks a good 50mm or so off the seat height straight away dropping from 21/18 inch rims, and KLX 300 big bore kit has "enough" grunt for offroad and a reasonable gear ratio spread for onroad.
    YMMV

sS
    yes, i am ignorant
    yes, i am a prick
    no, i don't care
    you make me sick
    Likes Z_rider liked this post

Motorbike
    Honda GB400 TT
    Liked
    47 times
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honda is putting on a free demo day for the new CRF450L at West Moto Park tomorrow from 10am if you wanted to try one of them